Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Dont want to be rude but i feel the same with your friends, even I think business studies is really really soft, firstly because I have done it at GCSE, its not challenging at all, very easy to grasp and understand as its basic concepts of how a business runs.

Another reason its seen soft as many top universities dont like it, only LSE publicly ackknowledge, so people get rejected on the basis they do business. So people see it as a soft subject in comparision to something such as Maths and especially Economics... as business studies is deprived from a small part of Economics.

I would say that you should have done Economics rather than business as Economics is a traditional and recognisible subject... plus Economics is broad and much more challenging and allows better understanding... which is why Economics degree will get the same jobs as a business degreee and much more, plus better wages ,etc

But thats the way I have seen it, anywhere i talk about business and economics, economics comes out on top as does maths as its a highly respectable subject which requires yur brain to work to the limit in comparison to business which is quite simple....But upto you, of what you make off it as it least gets you a good job above average wage, just firms will prefer a maths or economics degree

I don't see how you can justify this. Good jobs at good firms don't mind too much about subject as long as it's reasonable, you prove to them you're intelligent, willing to learn and capable in so many other ways.

I did a business degree and got on a decent grad scheme, which requires maths heavily as its in the financial services sector. The reason I got hired was nothing to do with my degree, I had lunch with oxford and warwick students studying maths (1), Chemistry (1), Economics (2) on my assessment day, the oxford maths student got turned away. This is because the firm look for so much more than a degree. My degree qualified me on the application form but nothing else.

So digest this whilst you're sitting in your maths/physics lectures and realise the lecture hall opposite may be doing something less intellectually challenging but at the end of the day those people could be less/same or more capable than you, just because you have an A* in physics doesn't mean you're better than someone who has A* in business, as they could still have scored higher than yourself if they had done physics. You just don't know, so stop judging peoples abilities by there interests.

I find business interesting.

I find physics boring, geeky and not worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really matter since you have applied to a business related course at uni. That is the most important thing. And I'm assuming you will be doing something like that in your career anyway.
    Besides, you're doing Languages. And they're not soft. So if whoever brags about that again, just tell them you're doing French and Spanish.

Anyways, A Level Maths is very easy. I done it. And those that say they can get an A* in Business Studies without even trying, why don't they do it? An A* in your application will look good. It can't be a waste of time if they don't need to put much effort in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simstar)
    I don't see how you can justify this. Good jobs at good firms don't mind too much about subject as long as it's reasonable, you prove to them you're intelligent, willing to learn and capable in so many other ways.

I did a business degree and got on a decent grad scheme, which requires maths heavily as its in the financial services sector. The reason I got hired was nothing to do with my degree, I had lunch with oxford and warwick students studying maths (1), Chemistry (1), Economics (2) on my assessment day, the oxford maths student got turned away. This is because the firm look for so much more than a degree. My degree qualified me on the application form but nothing else.

So digest this whilst you're sitting in your maths/physics lectures and realise the lecture hall opposite may be doing something less intellectually challenging but at the end of the day those people could be less/same or more capable than you, just because you have an A* in physics doesn't mean you're better than someone who has A* in business, as they could still have scored higher than yourself if they had done physics. You just don't know, so stop judging peoples abilities by there interests.

I find business interesting.

I find physics boring, geeky and not worth the hassle.
    I dont do any of those.. i applied to Economics which i see as a more respectable degree for things with finance and business ... no offence. And I know i can beat those guys as long as i get plenty of work experience and internship . Can I ask you what the grad scheme you r on?
    Because i wanna try for IB :/ or consultancy or stockbrokering
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I do Business Studies A level. I do find the application quite hard. Especially when you have to use your knowledge fromt he course that you've been spoonfed for over two years in an exam that will be based entirely on your own research. The contents of the subjects aren't difficult, it is a doable subject. If you get what I mean. When it comes to exam, Business Studies exams ar ejust all about exam techniques, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simstar)
    I did a business degree and got on a decent grad scheme,
    Can I just ask where you did your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Not really, there is no record anywhere of anyone other than the top universities looking down on it, to which they have a big list of things they look down on.
    most good universities look down on it, they ask for rigorous subjects which dont include business studies

the don't have a huge list, just arts/humanities. choose the sciences to be safe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torchwood)
    most good universities look down on it, they ask for rigorous subjects which dont include business studies

the don't have a huge list, just arts/humanities. choose the sciences to be safe
    Meh, i got an offer from Warwick ands B'ham with business studies , both pretty good universities. I do admit that the best one's do look down on it, as they do with many courses, but it's not exactly a application killer by any means. Seen people with business get into Oxbridge etc

Top 5 look down it on, the 10 or 15 below that don't so much.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, i got an offer from Warwick ands B'ham with business studies , both pretty good universities. I do admit that the best one's do look down on it, as they do with many courses, but it's not exactly a application killer by any means. Seen people with business get into Oxbridge etc

Top 5 look down it on, the 10 or 15 below that don't so much.
    wow that's awesome, I'm assuming its your first choice

i also went to warwick for a couple of months

ReputationRep:
    soft subject maybe but if its another A level in your hands who cares :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    soft subject maybe but if its another A level in your hands who cares :dontknow:
    That's exactly the point, it's a 'filler' A-Level that demonstrates no real abilities (that aren't better demonstrated by other subjects).

Maths shows logical thinking and a high degree of numeracy.

Sciences show the same, but with a strong emphasis on being able to apply this to the real world.

Languages are self-evient.

English shows a high degree of literacy and reading comprehension.

Humanities demonstrate the ability to analyse and critique sources.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Because i wanna try for IB :/ or consultancy or stockbrokering
    Is there any reason why you want to do these jobs in particular. I just wonder why you haven't looked into other aspects of finance or were you hear executive's bonuses? By the way it stock broking not stock brokering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Is there any reason why you want to do these jobs in particular. I just wonder why you haven't looked into other aspects of finance or were you hear executive's bonuses? By the way it stock broking not stock brokering.
    Not really, just seems really intense and full of adrenaline
    I have looked into other parts, especially sharia compliant finance which Im very much thinking of as well as working for internet/IT firms in there finance department....
    Stock broking then, wouldn't mind that, hours arent that bad compared to IB..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torchwood)
    wow that's awesome, I'm assuming its your first choice

i also went to warwick for a couple of months
    Am already at university, at a place much lower down. I got the offer , and had it as my insurance just in case, but i knew like 99% i wasn't motivated and too lazy to get the grades i needed. So it was a good choice in the end, got likle 100 points more than i needed for my current place but i just liked it so much who cares xD

(Original post by MillerTraub)
    That's exactly the point, it's a 'filler' A-Level that demonstrates no real abilities (that aren't better demonstrated by other subjects).

Sciences show the same, but with a strong emphasis on being able to apply this to the real world.

Business shows the capability to apply years of learning to real life situations and put theories, concepts, ideas and opinions together to form a well thought out, reasoned and un-baised answer to a question to which there are no real answers.
    The sentence could never end.

I know plenty of people who failed business, because they could not use the whole 2 years worth or work and put it in to one question. They could not do this effectively.
    Please, if your going to be naive, don't act like an idiot while doing it.

The only subject that is similar is economics. And yes, some areas of economics are the same (and slightly more advanced) than business, but they are not the same copurse, they deal with different things. If you got out your naive little shell and looked you'd realise that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I'm afraid to say that your mates have some justification.

Business Studies is not a tough subject and doesn't do you any favours. The natural progression is a Business Join Honours degree, which is also not a tough subject and will also not do you any favours
    Nothing wrong with joint honours business/management as long as its done with something respectable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MillerTraub)

Can I ask on what evidence you are basing your opinion that Business Studies demonstrates no real abilities?

In Business Studies you have to learn how to correctly analyse key data and information and apply your theoritical knowledge in order to come to an evaluation which must demonstrate an understanding of both sides of an argument.

I don't believe any other A-level does that.

(Original post by thecookiemonster)
    I am doing a business studies A-level, and there are a lot of people at my college who mock and laugh at this. I have a few mates who do maths who basically think they're superior in a mocking way because they do maths and I do Business studies.

This annoys me, as ok fair enough maybe maths A-level is harder in terms of that the content is much harder to learn, but at the end of the day each person plays to their own strengths and does what they enjoy, and it just irritates me when people I know who do maths claim they could get an A* in Business Studies without even trying. How do they know that until they have done the subject?
    I have to agree with your friends if we are talking about edexcel, your business studies paper is much easier, and might be the reason why it has a bad reputation. I am doing CIE and Business Studies and its much more demanding. It's so much theory and application and analysis. I know people who are doing A-level maths that are struggling. I think it's really sad that the syllabuses are so different, and it's so much easier for you to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringwhatever)
    I have to agree with your friends if we are talking about edexcel, your business studies paper is much easier, and might be the reason why it has a bad reputation. I am doing CIE and Business Studies and its much more demanding. It's so much theory and application and analysis. I know people who are doing A-level maths that are struggling. I think it's really sad that the syllabuses are so different, and it's so much easier for you to get an A.
    No I'm doing AQA, which also contains theory and application and analysis to be honest though it doesn't matter to people i know what exam board it is on, as they know nothing about the course, they simply dismiss business studies because of its overall reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Its the poor mans economics :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Its the poor mans economics :daydreaming:
    Apart from the fact that don't teach the same things

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the fact that don't teach the same things
    yep

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 1, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.