The Student Room Group

Why is the A-level Business Studies seen as a soft option?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Tommyjw
So you just naturally post stupid points for the fun of it? :smile:

i just rationalised a point, not overreacting to one dear.
Reply 61
I did a Business A level and an Economics a level, and if im honest i didn't find either one of them to be any more challenging than the other, equally matched id say.
Reply 62
Original post by srudland8
im just wondering how many of the people in this thread actually do business studies? okay, so its known as a soft subject but i do not agree with it being easy. it depends on the individual surely. As the OP said, people play to their strengths and surely people who have an interest in business studies are going to be good at the subject. i do business studies and i found it really hard at AS. now being in A2 there is a lot less content than i first originally thought. It is all about whether the individual has the qualities that an business person has and whether they are able to apply the current trends to the case study.
i also think it is VERY unfair that people are claiming on here that universities frown upon it. I beg to differ very much so.
i took PE, business studies and psychology at A level - stereotypically the soft subjects at A level. and was accepted into all of my university choices within the space of 2 weeks. these were uni of leeds x2, uni of sheffield, uni of york and uni of manchester so all russell group universities. All for a highly competitive subject (criminology & law - at which the uni with the most course places offers only 50 places)
So i think that i was not looked down upon at all and think that some of these people mentioned in the OP's original post as present within this thread.
surely if a person is happy and doing well in a subject it is not down to fickle classmates to make them feel that their a level is pointless?

You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

I am giving you SO much +rep in my head right now it hurts. Stupid limit
Reply 63
Original post by Chris_23
You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

I am giving you SO much +rep in my head right now it hurts. Stupid limit

haha thankyou, this thread angers me!
Reply 64
Original post by angryvivo
i just rationalised a point, not overreacting to one dear.

Bless, some people are just that stupid i guess.
Reply 65
Original post by Tommyjw
Bless, some people are just that stupid i guess.

Any reason you feel the need to put people down?
Original post by angryvivo
in essence the core principles are the same. and business is much more practical and cannot apply to everything on life whereas economics imo can.

How are the core principles the same? Please know what you are talking about before making ridiculous statements. Here are the specifications to help you out :biggrin:

web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2130-W-SP.PDF -Business Studies

web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2140-W-SP.PDF -Economics
Original post by srudland8
i wanted to give you a positive rep however ive run out. very well said!

Cheers, glad to see I've got someone else on my side here haha
Reply 68
Original post by rugbygreg
Nothing wrong with joint honours business/management :wink: as long as its done with something respectable.

I'm looking to to do Computing/Computer Science combined with it
Reply 69
Original post by tateco
Any reason you feel the need to put people down?

I like to put people down when they are being so blatantly ignorant, naive and just plane wrong. :smile:
Original post by jhubbert
I'm looking to to do Computing/Computer Science combined with it

Can't go wrong, you'll have the technical knowledge combined with the skills to manage a team and understand how the business works and be able to relate it to what your doing thus making you a much more valuable commodity.
Reply 71
Original post by Tommyjw
I like to put people down when they are being so blatantly ignorant, naive and just plane wrong. :smile:

Interesting perspective. So, what are you studying at university, philosophy?
Reply 72
Original post by Tommyjw

Plain* :angry:
I also think that it is seen as 'soft' because Economics, which is the most likely subject for comparison, is thought to be considerably harder. So people see the difficulty of Business Studies relative to the difficulty of Economics. Since people tend (not always) to find Economics harder, people probably say that Business is easier.

I dunno though. I've never studied Business Studies - apart from at GCSE but that was a BTEC and I assume that it's nothing like the A-Level - so I can't say how easy or hard it is.

Your friends are di**s though. Who are they to act as though they are superior?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 74
Regardless of how clever some people here think they are being by mounting a defence of Business Studies A-level, the original question went along these lines:

"My friends laugh at my Business Studies and think Maths is better"

Regardless of how hard/easy you think Business Studies is, and whether or not it is more academic than Economics, do you not have to consider the following:

A Maths A-level will be positively considered by a University for admissions to any undergraduate degree - from Zoology to Medicine to Childcare to Fine Art.

A Business Studies A-level will not. It will appear on many Universities' "non-preferred" lists.

So regardless of how spirited your advocacy for Business Studies, the people that matter think it's a dud.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, Do Economics.
40% of people sitting maths gain an A or higher, comparatively around 25% in business studies. Why are so many people thinking the statistics will back them up?
Reply 77
Original post by tateco
Interesting perspective. So, what are you studying at university, philosophy?

Nope, why?
Has nothing to do with philosophy, it is not a thought or theory or our existence or anything like that so nope.. nothing to do with philosophy. Just my 'weakness' is people who post such things. There was no 'in my experience' or 'i think that..' it was a pure wrong statement, and i called him out on it. :smile:

Original post by Clip

A Business Studies A-level will not. It will appear on many Universities' "non-preferred" lists.

So regardless of how spirited your advocacy for Business Studies, the people that matter think it's a dud.

OH really? They won't be on YOUR list? Oh dear.. what are we going to do now? :O

The simple FACT, yes it is a fact.. is that the only universities who look down on it are the very top ones. And even then they do not exclude people because of it.
Why be so naive in thinking you 'know' universities don't like it? When plenty of people, including me, have got offers from good universities (Warwick and Birmingham), oh and btw.. Warwick was rated first for business subjects in 2011 on the guardian tables.

So you know, continue to base your naive opinions on .. well.. your opinions. Ignore the facts, and have a nice day.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thecookiemonster

Original post by thecookiemonster
I am doing a business studies A-level, and there are a lot of people at my college who mock and laugh at this. I have a few mates who do maths who basically think they're superior in a mocking way because they do maths and I do Business studies.

Some people find different subjects easier than others. On the whole, business studies A level is easier than Maths A level, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

This annoys me, as ok fair enough maybe maths A-level is harder in terms of that the content is much harder to learn, but at the end of the day each person plays to their own strengths and does what they enjoy, and it just irritates me when people I know who do maths claim they could get an A* in Business Studies without even trying. How do they know that until they have done the subject?

Don't be ashamed of what you are doing and don't listen to those arrogant maths students. There are students their age doing harder levels of maths still- I am speaking here about Higher Level Maths on the International Baccalaureeate. There is no excuse to look down on others because of the academic level of ones maths course.
Reply 79
Original post by Glen_Nichols
40% of people sitting maths gain an A or higher, comparatively around 25% in business studies. Why are so many people thinking the statistics will back them up?

Rather than look at it empirically, consider what that statistic might suggest.

Is it possible that it indicates that many more able students take Maths A-levels, and some less able students take Business Studies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending