Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Where did that 0.5 come from? Is it an arbitrary phenomena - will it always be minus 0.5? I can only deduce that it comes from the fact that Z is 1 so 0.5 would eliminate half the probability since the graph doesn't span across the full axis distance.

If anyone could explain/confirm the 0.5 so I can just continue to finish S1 and start with past papers.

ReputationRep:
    The probability that P(-2.30<Z<0) is the same as P(0<Z<2.30). To find this you do
    P(Z<2.30)- P(Z<0) = 0.9893 - 0.5 = 0.4893.
    The probability that P(Z<0) = 0.5 because the area under the whole graph is 1 and it is symmetrical around 0 therefore half of the graph = 1/2= 0.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow leopard)

Where did that 0.5 come from? Is it an arbitrary phenomena - will it always be minus 0.5? I can only deduce that it comes from the fact that Z is 1 so 0.5 would eliminate half the probability since the graph doesn't span across the full axis distance.

If anyone could explain/confirm the 0.5 so I can just continue to finish S1 and start with past papers.
    the area under the curve of a normal distribution is = 1
    the area of half the space under teh graph will = 0.5

P(-2.3 < Z < 0 )

first he probabilty P(Z<0) is 0.5 because the area under the curve before 0 is 0.5

threfore the probability P(-2.3 < Z) given that Z < 0 will mean you are only looking at half of the graph

so we know that the probabilty of anything less than -2.3 is going to be 0.0107 by looking at your tables for normal distribution

and so anything greater will be 1-0.0107 - 0.9893
    but we know that we want probabilty between -2.3 and 0 so anything under -2.3 can be eliminated (0.0107) and anything above 0 can be eliminated (0.5)
    so we get 1 - 0.5 - 0.0107

ReputationRep:
    Just as I thought, thanks guys ~

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.