Turn on thread page Beta

Dad wants to date my teacher watch

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she could teach him a thing or two.

Seriously:...................... ...... Best you can do is express how you do not like the idea. I hope it works out well for you. Communicate with your father.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with that, at first if I was still at school I would avoid seeing the teach. anywhere outside school. I probably wouldn't be so bothered if I wasn't in school anymore

ReputationRep:
    At least you don't have to be in the house when they're having sex! I can imagine that it's an awkward situation for you though.

I hope it all works out

ReputationRep:
    ask him to wait a couple of months until shes not your teacher anymore?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Bit of an awkward situation really...

My mum walked out on my dad almost 10 years ago, when I was only 8. I lived with her until I started secondary school, when I decided that I wanted to live my dad, and I haven't had much contact with her since then as she has a whole host of problems (I'd rather not get into that on here...)

Since they split up, my dad has only had 1 serious relationship and I think he misses having a girlfriend.

Last November, he went for a drink with a woman he'd met through a mutual friend. They got on really well but, when they started talking about their jobs, he realised that she was actually my maths teacher. They decided that it would be awkward for me if they were anything more than friends and so they didn't meet up for a while.

In February half-term, they bumped into each other in the pub and started talking. They swapped numbers and have met up a few times since. I don't really like to ask him about but he's told me that they've kissed and that's as far as it has gone.

Now he's saying that he really likes her and would like to date her on a more serious basis but doesn't want to do anything that I'm uncomfortable with. Apparently she has said the same thing.

We've never mentioned it in school. I get on well with her and she's always been one of my favourite teachers as she's taught me all the way through, from Year 7 to Year 13. I'm leaving to go to university in September and so she wouldn't be my teacher anymore.

When I leave home, my dad will be living on his own. He should be able to date anyone he wants, so why do I feel so awkward about this? It's not as if I'd have to be around them all the time. I wouldn't even have to be aware of what's going on between them.

I suppose it's the thought of my dad having sex with her that's making me feel so uncomfortable. Also, if things got more serious, I couldn't imagine her knowing everything about me and living with her when I'm at home.

I know I'm over-thinking this and it may not work out, but I just want some advice as to what I could do to feel less awkward? Do you think I should have a chat with her and pretend that I'm totally ok with her dating my dad, just so that it's not as awkward between us when they do start dating?

Anyone been in a similar situation? How has it worked out?

(BTW, I think they'd make a great couple, which I why I think that they could become very serious. They have a lot in common and are both genuinely lovely people, so I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted for years rather than months...and so this is why I'm thinking ahead )

TL;DR - my dad wants to get more 'serious' with my teacher. I'm leaving home soon, so I wouldn't be around much - it's just the thought of them 'together' that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Any advice?
    Let them **** each other. You may get something out of this. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    If they're well-suited for each other, then why not? Plus, you won't be around most of the time, so you'll be preoccupied with other things.

ReputationRep:
    cool, now you can get high grade

ReputationRep:
    He has probably shagged her already and wants some more...

(Original post by lemonandlime2011)
    Actually this, really.

ReputationRep:
    My dad had sex with one of my teachers too.

I haven't looked at Mr. Jones in the same way since

ReputationRep:
    You're probably right there.

The OP will now feel even more awkward when they realise this. No more fun maths lessons for you!

ReputationRep:
    The real question we should be asking is "How hot is your teacher?"
    http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000...th_xlarge.jpeg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scaramouche11)
    You're probably right there.
    Well, if you think about it, (without wanting to over-generalise) a lot of men only think that a relationship is serious once sex is involved. I doubt he'd be so serious about someone he's only kissed. Sorry for the awkwardness that will ensue, OP

Well, if you think about it, (without wanting to over-generalise) a lot of men only think that a relationship is serious once sex is involved. I doubt he'd be so serious about someone he's only kissed. Sorry for the awkwardness that will ensue, OP
    I hadn't thought about that...I feel a bit stupid now

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't thought about that...I feel a bit stupid now
    Ah, don't feel stupid! Are you male or female by the way? I'm guessing female, but just checking

(Original post by SurreyGirl)
    You sound like you have a very mature attitude about the whole thing. It's not always easy to find happiness in this world so I think being supportive of this relationship would mean the world to your Dad. It also sounds like both of them have gone out of their way to make it right for you - some parents would just go for it regardless. I think it's brilliant for your family. Good luck!
    Thank you. You're right, they have gone out out of their way to make it ok for me

Ah, don't feel stupid! Are you male or female by the way? I'm guessing female, but just checking
    Yeah, I'm female

ReputationRep:
    Straight A*'s here we come

ReputationRep:
    My uncle has recently married one of my teachers. I visit them most weekends, so you soon get used to them being part of the family

ReputationRep:
    Bit of an awkward situation really...

My mum walked out on my dad almost 10 years ago, when I was only 8. I lived with her until I started secondary school, when I decided that I wanted to live my dad, and I haven't had much contact with her since then as she has a whole host of problems (I'd rather not get into that on here...)

Since they split up, my dad has only had 1 serious relationship and I think he misses having a girlfriend.

Last November, he went for a drink with a woman he'd met through a mutual friend. They got on really well but, when they started talking about their jobs, he realised that she was actually my maths teacher. They decided that it would be awkward for me if they were anything more than friends and so they didn't meet up for a while.

In February half-term, they bumped into each other in the pub and started talking. They swapped numbers and have met up a few times since. I don't really like to ask him about but he's told me that they've kissed and that's as far as it has gone.

Now he's saying that he really likes her and would like to date her on a more serious basis but doesn't want to do anything that I'm uncomfortable with. Apparently she has said the same thing.

We've never mentioned it in school. I get on well with her and she's always been one of my favourite teachers as she's taught me all the way through, from Year 7 to Year 13. I'm leaving to go to university in September and so she wouldn't be my teacher anymore.

When I leave home, my dad will be living on his own. He should be able to date anyone he wants, so why do I feel so awkward about this? It's not as if I'd have to be around them all the time. I wouldn't even have to be aware of what's going on between them.

I suppose it's the thought of my dad having sex with her that's making me feel so uncomfortable. Also, if things got more serious, I couldn't imagine her knowing everything about me and living with her when I'm at home.

I know I'm over-thinking this and it may not work out, but I just want some advice as to what I could do to feel less awkward? Do you think I should have a chat with her and pretend that I'm totally ok with her dating my dad, just so that it's not as awkward between us when they do start dating?

Anyone been in a similar situation? How has it worked out?

(BTW, I think they'd make a great couple, which I why I think that they could become very serious. They have a lot in common and are both genuinely lovely people, so I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted for years rather than months...and so this is why I'm thinking ahead )

TL;DR - my dad wants to get more 'serious' with my teacher. I'm leaving home soon, so I wouldn't be around much - it's just the thought of them 'together' that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Any advice?
    Can I date your mom? Then you will be able to open a thread saying "Mate dates mom"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.