Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree that librarians are one of the most underrated professions? watch

ReputationRep:
    From what I've noticed people think of librarians as little more than clerks. They seem completely unaware that you need a MASTER'S degree to become a librarian(in the US) or a bachelor's(in the UK). Not to mention that people still think that the only thing librarians do is put books on shelves!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelpic)
    From what I've noticed people think of librarians as little more than clerks. They seem completely unaware that you need a MASTER'S degree to become a librarian(in the US) or a bachelor's(in the UK). Not to mention that people still think that the only thing librarians do is put books on shelves!!
    Isn't that all they do?
    /Ignorance

ReputationRep:
    ones in our college just go on facebook..and get up for the odd shouting at people talking and putting books away(even then the college has students doing that with some moneys)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I must confess that I was not aware of how highly qualified a librarian must be. I am also not aware of what their job involves. Please enlighten me.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is quite a boring profession, isn't it, really? Not one that I imagine many people would enjoy doing day in day out.

ReputationRep:
    The librarian at my old Secondary School was an absolute genius, he knew a little about everything and was the go to guy if you needed to know something.

But generally, the librarians in my local library are rude, uncooperative and really lacking job satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    Really, you need a degree to become a librarian? The only thing our college librarians seem to do is patrol the area and ***** at anyone who hasn't got their ID card out on display.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me started on college librarians.............Evil would be a compliment, the way
    some of them behave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelpic)
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure 1 of our librarians in our school isn't even legally allowed into this country, she always legs it whenever she has to go, and she disappears and can't be tracked

ReputationRep:
    My mum's a librarian. She doesn't have a degree and I don't think the job deserves any more merit than it already does…

ReputationRep:
    The librarians at my school take their jobs way too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really rate their profession all that much.

ReputationRep:
    Librarians are jobsworths
    (well at my college anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh993)
    Don't get me started on college librarians.............Evil would be a compliment, the way
    some of them behave
    So true!

ReputationRep:
    isnt being a librarian something people say to threaten people to do better in school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banger)
    Isn't that all they do?
    /Ignorance
    No, that's what they do in movies. In reality that's what library ASSISTANTS and TECHNICIANS do(yes those jobs actualy exist lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    I must confess that I was not aware of how highly qualified a librarian must be. I am also not aware of what their job involves. Please enlighten me.
    Just google 'librarian job description'. They help people do research plus they deal with EVERYTHING that has to do with management/administration. Also read my answer above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Well, it is quite a boring profession, isn't it, really? Not one that I imagine many people would enjoy doing day in day out.
    It's for studious people that like books, reading anf the tranquil atmosphere of the library.

ReputationRep:
    the librarian at my 6th form college is so scary, that even the proper teachers are scared of her!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.