Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you agree that librarians are one of the most underrated professions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    My mum's a librarian. She doesn't have a degree and I don't think the job deserves any more merit than it already does…
    :confused:Do you live in a village/small town? I've heard that only happens in small localities.

ReputationRep:
    well what do they actually do then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    isnt being a librarian something people say to threaten people to do better in school?
    OMG really?! LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelpic)
    It's for studious people that like books, reading anf the tranquil atmosphere of the library.
    Yeah, like working at McDonalds is for people who like food. Work is work.

ReputationRep:
    Librarians are, on the whole, power-hungry maniacs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Yeah, like working at McDonalds is for people who like food. Work is work.
    Hahaha

Seriously though, do you consider it THAT low on the 'job chain'?

(Original post by moneyballs2)
    The librarian at my old Secondary School was an absolute genius, he knew a little about everything and was the go to guy if you needed to know something.

But generally, the librarians in my local library are rude, uncooperative and really lacking job satisfaction.
    Same, the librarian at my secondary school was insanely smart. She probably knew more about Human Biology than the teacher I had for the subject. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Same, the librarian at my secondary school was insanely smart. She probably knew more about Human Biology than the teacher I had for the subject. :p:
    That's because they always help people with research so they end up knowing a little bit of everything.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha

Seriously though, do you consider it THAT low on the 'job chain'?
    It's probably not a bad job at all, I just have an unhealthy antipathy to most forms of employment.

ReputationRep:
    Librarians from my experience are some of the most anal, power-crazed people ever.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:Do you live in a village/small town? I've heard that only happens in small localities.
    It's a fairly larg town... I'm sure you'd need a degree nowadays, it's probably because she's been there a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread - I'd guess that 95% of the people commenting have never even met an actual librarian. Librarians don't actually often work with the public. I work in an area of four libraries (within a bigger group of libraries in the county) as a library assistant and we have three fully qualified librarians - Childrens Librarian, Local Studies Librarian and Senior Librarian. They spend most of their time in offices doing administration, management, cataloguing, buying, recruitment and other things that I probably have no idea about.

I would say that the profession is underrated - this topic has proved it, as hardly anyone seems to know what librarians actually do! Depressing.

And anyone who thinks that a local library is a 'tranquil environment' where staff just read books....very few libraries have 'quiet policies' anymore and I never would be allowed to read while working, not that I even have 5 minutes to do so, jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    It's a fairly larg town... I'm sure you'd need a degree nowadays, it's probably because she's been there a long time.
    Ah I see. I agree.
    The thing is that as labour gets more and more specialized, you need a degree for almost anything these days.

ReputationRep:
    Got fined £17.50 by my school librarian for returning a few books a few days late lol, bit excessive.
    In my local library there are alot of volunteers - young and old, probably only one proper librarian who is 60+!

ReputationRep:
    We have such a nice librarian in our sixth form. She seems quite clued up as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Osman1993)
    Got fined £17.50 by my school librarian for returning a few books a few days late lol, bit excessive.
    In my local library there are alot of volunteers - young and old, probably only one proper librarian who is 60+!
    My girlfriend got charged £75

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Well, you do learn a new thing everyday I suppose. Anyway, that makes the hot Irish librarian at my local library even more attractive :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I rate them - uni librarians anyway... try asking them stuff.

ReputationRep:
    The one at my schools a *****! -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxecute)
    My girlfriend got charged £75
    lol what the hell did she do to the books?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.