The Student Room Group

major help pleaseeeee!!!

Hi everyone im totally new to this site but im so happy i have found it! i need some major help on an assignment. its to do with professionalism in rugby union and how its caused the game to change into a business. basically i have to compare the structure of a modern rugby team and point out the similarities with the structure of a business organisation. please please can anyone help me? i really need a good grade so i can get onto the 2nd year of my univeristy course. thanx to everyone in advnance. Raj

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
fabolous1982
Hi everyone im totally new to this site but im so happy i have found it! i need some major help on an assignment. its to do with professionalism in rugby union and how its caused the game to change into a business. basically i have to compare the structure of a modern rugby team and point out the similarities with the structure of a business organisation. please please can anyone help me? i really need a good grade so i can get onto the 2nd year of my univeristy course. thanx to everyone in advnance. Raj

First look at salaries, and not just the players. Look beyond that to the offices to which people are appointed to market the team, employ players, run a club etc. That may help.
Come see your dad. I'm a professional (well semi) pro.

Be more specific.
Reply 3
fabolous1982

You may want to examine the way the game split and wy Rugby League first turned professional. Then look at why Union followed.
Mark_KK
You may want to examine the way the game split and wy Rugby League first turned professional. Then look at why Union followed.

Agreed. Look into why top union players moved to league in the past and why sum top league players are now moving to Union. Why did they do it? Examples and the implications of switching codes.
http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/RFUHome.Simple_Detail/StoryTypeId/26/SectionId/43
?

I miss watching rugby union and having the players introduced along with their profession as well (eg farmer, banker etc)
I'd look at the clubs which were lucky to get backers and ones that havent.

My club Orrell is a good example of this. Without my girlfriends grandad they would be in the shit.

Look at RFU funded contracts for the big stars and how professional rugby clubs are now signing half of the top rugby playing public schools teams up from age 14 onwards.
Pencil Queen
http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/RFUHome.Simple_Detail/StoryTypeId/26/SectionId/43
?

I miss watching rugby union and having the players introduced along with their profession as well (eg farmer, banker etc)

Dont go to the RFU. They are too PC and wont give you exactly what you need.

If you want the views of Rugby League supporters. ''www.rlfans.com'' is a good bet. Use the Leeds Rhino's forum. They will gove you some interesting facts about the Leeds Tykes premiership team.
Reply 8
Joey_Johns
They will gove you some interesting facts about the Leeds Tykes premiership team.

Like the fact that no-one watches them :biggrin:.
Reply 9
Joey - is she somehow related to Dave Whelan or Chairman Mo?
Sorry for repeat posts but I'd seriously look into the state of Rugby Union in Australia as well where it is a minor sport compared to Rugby League and Aussie Rules. There you will find some great insight into poorly run club businesses.

I'd also look at how union doesnt have a salary cap whereas League does. Its 1.8 million in England meaning all the players combined wages cannot total over that amount. The other stipulation to the rule is that the club can also not spend more than 50% of its turnover on players. This was put into place to try and stop clubs going bust by buying big name players. Union though doesnt have this cap and therefore many clubs are running at huge losses.
Mark_KK
Joey - is she somehow related to Dave Whelan or Chairman Mo?

Lol. Mr.Whelan. Did you see him on the tv last week? I think every rugby league fan that has had a go at him in the past should have seen it. Only then would they realise how he feels about the game (v.stongly).
Reply 12
Also look at the way Wigan and Leeds have bought Rugby Union clubs and employed players on dual code contracts in order to get round the salary cap.

Also look in to investigations that the wives of various Rugby League players have been payed rediculous amounts of money just to do two hours a week office work - I am sure you can work out what I am getting at here.
Mark_KK
Like the fact that no-one watches them :biggrin:.

Indeed. And the people who do have got the tickets for free. Nothing to do with true fans.
Reply 14
Joey_Johns
Lol. Mr.Whelan. Did you see him on the tv last week? I think every rugby league fan that has had a go at him in the past should have seen it. Only then would they realise how he feels about the game (v.stongly).

As opposed to Hetherington who starts banging on about how RL is going to benefit massivly from the RUWC.

When will he realise that the Tykes are not going to take off - they got 1,500 for their vital "play off" game last season and this year they got a mere 4,000 for the visit of the European Cup holders.

He has openly admitted that he was expecting their attendances to be up at around 8,000 average by this point. Currently I think that they get around 3,000 per match if not less.
Mark_KK
As opposed to Hetherington who starts banging on about how RL is going to benefit massivly from the RUWC.

When will he realise that the Tykes are not going to take off and pull the plug?

As long as their in the Zurich they wont.
Reply 16
Joey_Johns
As long as their in the Zurich they wont.

I *think* that they are eligable for Sport England and National Lottery funds as it is now a ground used by more than one sporting side. Also they can use the Tykes to dodge the salasry cap as I have mentioned.
Mark_KK
I *think* that they are eligable for Sport England and National Lottery funds as it is now a ground used by more than one sporting side. Also they can use the Tykes to dodge the salasry cap as I have mentioned.

You wouldnt be a spiteful New Zealand Bulls fan would you?

Penrith will run rings around the them.
Reply 18
Joey_Johns
You wouldnt be a spiteful New Zealand Bulls fan would you?

Penrith will run rings around the them.

No, I support Hull but I will be there to watch the match. If things get abit boring we may run onto the pitch and tear the goalposts down :biggrin:.
Mark_KK
No, I support Hull but I will be there to watch the match. If things get abit boring we may run onto the pitch and tear the goalposts down :biggrin:.

Wheres the game being played? Its usually Bolton or H'Field.

Latest

Trending

Trending