Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many quotes examiners want? [English Lit] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Alright well Im just wondering how many quotes the examiners want for the AQA English Lit exam for Of Mice And Men

How many quotes do you think are more than enough?

ReputationRep:
    It's not quantity, it's quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ju1c)
    Alright well Im just wondering how many quotes the examiners want for the AQA English Lit exam for Of Mice And Men

How many quotes do you think are more than enough?
    This, you need REALLY developed points, I think I only wrote 3 pages in the real exam for the 27 marker?

ReputationRep:
    Relevant and useful, I'd say between 5 and 10-12 is what you would normally use. But as always, quality above quantity. They have to be relevant. You can't just quote 'Alabama' when talking about To Kill A Mockingbird

ReputationRep:
    For my mock I used just 3 primary quotes with 4 secondary (1 secondary for each 2, and 2 for the 3rd) and my teacher's said it looks to be up to my normal standard which is A, almost A*. Really depends on the question too, if they ask about characters you'll need more than if they ask for a theme...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonFahad)
    Relevant and useful, I'd say between 5 and 10-12 is what you would normally use. But as always, quality above quantity. They have to be relevant. You can't just quote 'Alabama' when talking about To Kill A Mockingbird
    Hey,

Seen as though you can't predict which character will come up, how can you be expected to learn 10 for each character i.e about 70 quotes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dabest2500)
    It's not quantity, it's quality.
    That's basically it in a nutshell! For my coursework/controlled assessment, I just used quotes that enabled me to support whatever the point I was trying to get across was.
    Only use quotations that are absolutely necessary. I know examiners and teachers hate big chunks of quotation, they prefer it short and sweet. Which is why I used short, integrated quotes within my piece. It worked for me (I only lost one mark), so that's a suggestion.
    If you want an example of what I wrote, just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeezee06)
    That's basically it in a nutshell! For my coursework/controlled assessment, I just used quotes that enabled me to support whatever the point I was trying to get across was.
    Only use quotations that are absolutely necessary. I know examiners and teachers hate big chunks of quotation, they prefer it short and sweet. Which is why I used short, integrated quotes within my piece. It worked for me (I only lost one mark), so that's a suggestion.
    If you want an example of what I wrote, just ask!
    I'm struggling a bit this as well could you show us an example. By the way how much variation will there be between what you've done for coursework and what your expected to do in an exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabGirl)
    I'm struggling a bit this as well could you show us an example. By the way how much variation will there be between what you've done for coursework and what your expected to do in an exam
    Well, to be honest, I'm still in year 10, so I'm not entirely sure about what I need to do in the exam. However, I'm just offering , my knowledge on how to quote in essays as applying this intergration method has really helped me get the marks I want.

I will message you an example of what I wrote Please respect my rights to my own work and don't share without my permission etc. Not saying you would, just a precaution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeezee06)
    Well, to be honest, I'm still in year 10, so I'm not entirely sure about what I need to do in the exam. However, I'm just offering , my knowledge on how to quote in essays as applying this intergration method has really helped me get the marks I want.

I will message you an example of what I wrote Please respect my rights to my own work and don't share without my permission etc. Not saying you would, just a precaution
    Hey, could you PM me it too.

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.