Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lampshade1)
    two questions,
    Why didn't Trotsky attend again? and what was the Lenin Enrolement ?
    Stalin told Trotsky the wrong date for the funeral so he showed up a day late, he was a great manipulator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Well I'am not actually doing History at the moment although I got an A* and would have loved to have done it but I come from a very traditional Pakistani family and you know... :rolleyes:

Doing Accounting and Finance at the moment mate but I'am thinking about doing one or two additional history modules in addition to the course.

Yeah no problem mate, I adore Stalin's terror :dance:
    Terror help please! :P

It says in my textbook 'Kirov upset Stalin by standing against him for General Sec at the 1934 17th Party Congress' and then 'A group of Old Bolsheviks, aware the Lenin's testament had proposed removing Stalin from power years before, tried to persuade Kirov to stand against Stalin, Kirov refused' - did he or did he not stand against Stalin for general sec, as the textbook seems to contradict itself?

ReputationRep:
    Lenin was highly critical of everyone to a certain extent, although he did come to a judgement in his testament that Trotsky was the most able. Unfortunately, it was in the favour of all members of the Politburo to have his testament suppressed and as such there was no clear leader following Lenin's death. Although Trotsky was a front-runner, he was in fact easily swayed e.g. he made concessions to the other members in exchange for being able to give the "Scissors Crisis" speech. His arrogance certainly played a part in his defeat.

The main factor for Stalin emerging as the leader in my opinion, was that Stalin was underestimated as a candidate for the position of leader, with the other members of the Politburo referring to him as "Comrade Card-Index", implying that he had no real power as General-Secretary when in fact he was able to appoint junior party officials who in turn elected the members of the Politburo. Unfortunately, even though Lenin realised this, his sardonicism when it came to appointing a successor meant his testament was suppressed. Interstingly, Lenin's wife protested against Stalin perpetuating the so-called "Cult of Lenin" that developed after Lenin's death, so much so that Stalin is reported to have told her "Be quiet, or I shall make someone else Lenin's widow".

I hope that is somewhat helpful, I'm only doing GCSE so the advice is perhaps lacking compared to other members who are at A level standard.

ReputationRep:
    Terror help please! :P

It says in my textbook 'Kirov upset Stalin by standing against him for General Sec at the 1934 17th Party Congress' and then 'A group of Old Bolsheviks, aware the Lenin's testament had proposed removing Stalin from power years before, tried to persuade Kirov to stand against Stalin, Kirov refused' - did he or did he not stand against Stalin for general sec, as the textbook seems to contradict itself?
    No, Kirov didn't stand against Stalin as Gen. Sec. A group of Old Bolsheviks who were aware of the contents of the testament approached Kirov but he refused and told Stalin of the incident to demonstrate his loyalty. Allow me explain the whole story :pierre:

The Congress of Victors in 1934 was meant to be a celebration of Stalin’s achievements. However when the Congress voted to elect the Central Committee Kirov instead of Stalin received the most votes: 1225 opposed to Stalin’s 927. The result indicated that Kirov was more popular than Stalin within the party and indeed after the vote a group of old Bolsheviks approached Kirov and tried to persuade him to stand as General Secretary- though he refused Stalin found out about the plan.

In December 1934 Kirov was murdered by a man named Leonid Nikolayev, who the Soviet press claimed was working for the “Trotskyite-Zinovievite” terror group which desired the overthrow of the Soviet government. However there’s a strong probability that the murder was approved by Stalin and indeed he was very quick to exploit it: within two hours of the murder he signed a “Decree against Terrorist Acts” which gave the NKVD limitless powers in pursuing “enemies of the state and the party”. This was followed by a large scale round up of suspected conspirators including Zinoviev and Kamenev who were then imprisoned or executed.

The murder, whoever was responsible, was very convenient for Stalin. It got him rid of his most important rival, allowed him to imprison his old opponents and gave him a pretext for hunting the secret “Trotskyite-Zinovievite” terror group. Finally Stalin could claim the murder showed that political dissidents were plotting acts of terror and thus this justified the execution of party members opposed to Stalin’s policies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying for my AS level and was wondering if we could (anyone else doing AQA Stalin) discuss certain topics so I can really develop an opinion on them.

Firstly:

Why was there no obvious choice of leader after Lenin's death?
    And, why did Stalin manage to gain the leadership role?

Heyy .. sorry for just randomly joining your thread, but I'm also doing the Stalin course for AS, and I was just wondering how you're revising. I can't seem to revise at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayeshaa:))
    Heyy .. sorry for just randomly joining your thread, but I'm also doing the Stalin course for AS, and I was just wondering how you're revising. I can't seem to revise at all
    I think the basic theory of it is you collate your notes and learn them :P

ReputationRep:
    making notes, spider-diagrams...then plan past questions which I email to my teacher who tells me if I'm getting it right... so much to cover though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSwitched)
    I think the basic theory of it is you collate your notes and learn them :P
    Lol .. But I can't bring myself to revise! Its soooooo frustrating! .. And figuring out a way to learn my notes is gonna be difficult

ReputationRep:
    making notes, spider-diagrams...then plan past questions which I email to my teacher who tells me if I'm getting it right... so much to cover though!
    Oohh cool. I really need to start doing revision!. Which other unit are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Oohh cool. I really need to start doing revision!. Which other unit are you doing?
    The European Reformation, you? soo much to cover, I had to start this week :P

ReputationRep:
    Doing Stalin aswell for AS, pretty much the subject that I haven't really greatly touched upon yet :P

ReputationRep:
    The European Reformation, you? soo much to cover, I had to start this week :P
    Britain 1906-51, so its quite easy to understand; just sooo much content. I've just started my revision this week as well; hopefully we'll be fine!

(Original post by Hemzo)
    Doing Stalin aswell for AS, pretty much the subject that I haven't really greatly touched upon yet :P
    I started my Stalin revision today, so you're not alone!

ReputationRep:
    Britain 1906-51, so its quite easy to understand; just sooo much content. I've just started my revision this week as well; hopefully we'll be fine!

I started my Stalin revision today, so you're not alone!
    I finished making Terror notes today...so just Stalinism and then past papers :/ fun fun fun!! :P

ReputationRep:
    I finished making Terror notes today...so just Stalinism and then past papers :/ fun fun fun!! :P
    You've done quite a lot!, I'm jealous :|. I was looking through past papers earlier; I hate source questions!!

ReputationRep:
    You've done quite a lot!, I'm jealous :|. I was looking through past papers earlier; I hate source questions!!
    it hasn't gone in though!! :/ and I know, we've barely done source questions! but our teacher says it is best to find themes/think of themes then relate them to the source rather than going 'source a says this...' 'source a differs from source b as source b' etc, what have you been told?

ReputationRep:
    it hasn't gone in though!! :/ and I know, we've barely done source questions! but our teacher says it is best to find themes/think of themes then relate them to the source rather than going 'source a says this...' 'source a differs from source b as source b' etc, what have you been told?
    Aww, but it should go in quickly the next time you look over it!. We've hardly done source questions either. We've just been told to avoid summarising/rephrasing the sources, so not much more than we already know :|. Your approach to source questions sounds good; I may steal your technique!

ReputationRep:
    Aww, but it should go in quickly the next time you look over it!. We've hardly done source questions either. We've just been told to avoid summarising/rephrasing the sources, so not much more than we already know :|. Your approach to source questions sounds good; I may steal your technique!
    yeahh, post here if you have any queries about Stalin and we can try and sort them out/help each other!

ReputationRep:
    yeahh, post here if you have any queries about Stalin and we can try and sort them out/help each other!
    Thankyouu, Yeahh we can have our own "Stalin Study Circle" or something :P

ReputationRep:
    Thankyouu, Yeahh we can have our own "Stalin Study Circle" or something :P
    oh yess!! :') sounds good, talk soon most likely! aha :P good luck with revision !

ReputationRep:
    So do you think everyone underestimated Stalin and his ability?

Oh, and as General Secretary what powers would he have actually had that made him so powerful? As it says he was in charge of the Lenin Enrolement, but I'm not 100% sure what that was.
    The Lenin Enrolment was when the Party was massively expanded on the orders of Lenin- I'm not sure when. It might even have been a memorial to him after his death. Stalin controlled who got in, and therefore used it to pull in more supporters. Hope that helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.