Turn on thread page Beta

Are CHEAP flights really worth it... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think - is it worth paying more money and avoiding having to deal with low budget airlines??

In relation to my question I have stumbled upon a very FUNNY VIDEO on youtube, take a look and see what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

I'd recommend watching the whole thing (I especially love the sad verse at the end!) - absolutely hilarious! :rofl3:

ReputationRep:
    That video was brilliant!

I can't actually give an opinion as I don't know whether the flights I've had in the past were counted as cheap or otherwise given I haven't flown since I was eight. I was, however, on a budget coach line just last week to Lithuania and the various ways they screwed EVERYTHING up is still grinding on my nerves. It does put a downer on the holiday. So I guess they may be occasionally worth it, but if that experience is typical it's definitely not for me.

ReputationRep:
    dealing with budget airlines isn't thaaat bad, can be a bit annoying at times. generally they're fine for shorthaul flights. anything over a couple of hours and i'd definitely go with a proper airline

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there always seems to be at least one screw up on budget airlines whenever you fly with them (don't even get me started on Ryanair!)

ReputationRep:
    I've been lucky, but yeah as someone else said, keep it strictly for the short haul.

ReputationRep:
    Book in advance with just hand luggage (you can fit two weeks worth of clothes in their dimensions) with a good book to read, and definitely. France for 55 quid return, any day, even if I have to spend a few hours on a ****e flight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    I've been lucky, but yeah as someone else said, keep it strictly for the short haul.
    Yeah, probably the best idea, thanks !!

ReputationRep:
    Started this thread 50 mins ago now and only had 8 views.

So I have decided to make a new one called 'Funny Video' as an experiment to see how many more views I get because of the thread title (I will ask the same question!)

Should be interesting!!

(then I'll do some revision...I keep telling myself!)

ReputationRep:
    That video was amazing!

Cheap flights aren't that bad though. If you're only going a short distance then who cares how crap the plane is.

ReputationRep:
    The most frustrating thing is the airports they use. For instance, Ryanair's Frankfurt destination is an airport requiring a 2 hour bus journey to get into the city. Then if you compare, say, a Londoner flying from Heathrow and Stanstead airports - one is at the end of a tube line, the other is out in Essex requiring a hefty SE ticket (about £20 single!!!!)

Oh, and I HATE Ryanair's website. Such a headache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hammer 24)
    Started this thread 50 mins ago now and only had 8 views.

So I have decided to make a new one called 'Funny Video' as an experiment to see how many more views I get because of the thread title (I will ask the same question!)

Should be interesting!!

(then I'll do some revision...I keep telling myself!)
    Just checked the new thread I made (about an hour ago now) and the result is very interesting. But not what I was expecting............experiment failed

Pretty embarassing not 1 comment, won't be trying that again. Ah well, that's what experiments are for - unexpected results!

(Original post by Fusion)
    The most frustrating thing is the airports they use. For instance, Ryanair's Frankfurt destination is an airport requiring a 2 hour bus journey to get into the city. Then if you compare, say, a Londoner flying from Heathrow and Stanstead airports - one is at the end of a tube line, the other is out in Essex requiring a hefty SE ticket (about £20 single!!!!)

Oh, and I HATE Ryanair's website. Such a headache.
    Yeah, I agree with you in regards to Ryanair - they couldn't make it worse if they tried!!

ReputationRep:
    tbh I've often found "budget" airlines to be far more expensive when u add in baggage fees, boarding pass fees and all their other fees and then the fact it doesnt include a meal

ReputationRep:
    For a couple of hours, I find there's little difference, and as long as you're sensible with luggage and such it's so much cheaper.

If I had a flight that was longer than four hours though I'd go with a "proper" airline.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yes! If they did Ryanair Atlantic for £100 I would SO be there, I don't even care about the crappy plastic seats or "chopsticks" playing through the speakers. I don't pay extra for temporary comfort. <3

ReputationRep:
    I flew Stansted-KL on Air Asia (Asia's equivalent of Ryan Air, 9 hour odd flight and it was wicked. About £400-500 cheaper than a normal airline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfired)
    I flew Stansted-KL on Air Asia (Asia's equivalent of Ryan Air, 9 hour odd flight and it was wicked. About £400-500 cheaper than a normal airline.
    Really! I thought Air Asia was only for flights departing and arriving around Asia!

ReputationRep:
    I would never fly on a budget airline. This is partly to do with my unfounded snobbery about the rest of the clientèle, and partly due to the fact that I'm convinced that every plane I go on is going to crash and there's more chance of that happening on a budget airline because the planes tend to be older and the pilots are overworked.

ReputationRep:
    No!

I flew Ryanair once... It would like getting onto a bus with a load of bloody peasents running for food!
    They lost all simple manners and decourm of a normal human!

& tbh - once you've paid for all the extra things, it isn't that much more cheaper really.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they were worth it, I'd rather have the extra money to spend on actual fun stuff when I was there rather than a comfier seat or a less retina-burning website. As long as my luggage doesn't get lost I really don't mind at all who I fly with.

ReputationRep:
    Never been with Ryanair so can't comment on that but been Easyjet before and had no issues, not much different from BA economy or Virgin economy really.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.