Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are CHEAP flights really worth it... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Really! I thought Air Asia was only for flights departing and arriving around Asia!
    No, they do KL-London Stansted, and quite a few flights to Australia. I heard something about them flying UK to China as well, and India to places. The plane we had wasn't a normal short haul squished seats plane either, reasonable legroom so it was fine, and good price like I said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    I would never fly on a budget airline. This is partly to do with my unfounded snobbery about the rest of the clientèle, and partly due to the fact that I'm convinced that every plane I go on is going to crash and there's more chance of that happening on a budget airline because the planes tend to be older and the pilots are overworked.
    Ryanair churn planes out by the second because of their rapid expansion. Average plane age is 3.7 years for them and 3.8 for EasyJet compared to BA's 11.9. Having said that all three airlines have an impeccable safety record. I flew on a 1992 vintage BA 737-400 in January (they use them out of Gatwick on their European flights) and I'm sure there are older planes than that in service with major European airlines.

As for pilots, can't comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Ryanair churn planes out by the second because of their rapid expansion. Average plane age is 3.7 years for them and 3.8 for EasyJet compared to BA's 11.9. Having said that all three airlines have an impeccable safety record. I flew on a 1992 vintage BA 737-400 in January (they use them out of Gatwick on their European flights) and I'm sure there are older planes than that in service with major European airlines.

I'd hardly say that BA have an impeccable safety record. Their last crash was only 3 years ago, in a 777.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    I'd hardly say that BA have an impeccable safety record. Their last crash was only 3 years ago, in a 777.
    Impeccable probably the wrong choice of word, your info is right that they had the first ever 777 hull loss, indeed in 2005 they were accused of flying a non-airworthy plane, had a hijacking in 2000, had the captain almost fall out of a window in 1990 and flew through a volcano in 1982.

But still since they formed they've had but one fatal crash if you don't count any by BOAC or BEA, not too bad. Wouldn't deter me from flying with them.

Now an airline like China Airlines.. no thanks.

ReputationRep:

I'm so petrified of flying that even with a brand spanking new plane I'll still sit there and contemplate one of the fifty things that could go wrong.
    I'm not looking forward to my flight from Sydney to Heathrow in a couple weeks! There's not been enough tests on the A380!!

ReputationRep:
    Impeccable probably the wrong choice of word, your info is right that they had the first ever 777 hull loss, indeed in 2005 they were accused of flying a non-airworthy plane, had a hijacking in 2000, had the captain almost fall out of a window in 1990 and flew through a volcano in 1982.

But still since they formed they've had but one fatal crash if you don't count any by BOAC or BEA, not too bad. Wouldn't deter me from flying with them.

Now an airline like China Airlines.. no thanks.
    Hmm. I agree with you, I travel quite fine with BA, never had any problems, shame their prices are so damn expensive though, which is why I always look for other airlines.

Wow, that is a lot of accidents.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so petrified of flying that even with a brand spanking new plane I'll still sit there and contemplate one of the fifty things that could go wrong.
    I'm not looking forward to my flight from Sydney to Heathrow in a couple weeks! There's not been enough tests on the A380!!
    I've heard that statistically you are more likely to die in a car crash going, for example: driving to the airport than you are flying in the plane.

ReputationRep:
    Always use BA to go down to London. The **** airlines want to fly me out of rubbish airports, to rubbish airports, and generally piss about.

Went to the continent on Ryanair once or twice. Nothing went wrong, but I wouldn't like to be put in a situation where I had to deal with their staff.

ReputationRep:
    And you're the best judge of that? :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that statistically you are more likely to die in a car crash going, for example: driving to the airport than you are flying in the plane.
    I know. Everyone always tells me that but it's of little comfort when I'm hyperventilating on the plane!

I always respond : Tell that to the families of those who've been in plane crashes. They do happen, and I'm pretty unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hammer 24)
    What do you think - is it worth paying more money and avoiding having to deal with low budget airlines??

In relation to my question I have stumbled upon a very FUNNY VIDEO on youtube, take a look and see what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

I'd recommend watching the whole thing (I especially love the sad verse at the end!) - absolutely hilarious! :rofl3:
    That video was brilliant and so true, my family is Irish so ever other year or so were always being invited to a wedding we've learned about the fecking 50p flights though :P

ReputationRep:
    I know. Everyone always tells me that but it's of little comfort when I'm hyperventilating on the plane!

I always respond : Tell that to the families of those who've been in plane crashes. They do happen, and I'm pretty unlucky.
    I feel sorry for you, I couldn't imagine feeling like that and I have a fear of heights! Though I never seem to feel this panic in a plane.

ReputationRep:
    "Keep it short haul"

Lolol, I'm planning to fly to the Middle East for £150 on Easyjet.. :teehee:

That'll be fun. 5 hours wheyyyy.

ReputationRep:
    I used Ryanair once..when visiting Eindhoven. It didn't seem bad tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I love Easyjet, I hate Ryanair. I have problems with the large European-US airlines, all of them trying to steal from us and limiting our consumer choices in travelling.

Which is why I love Etihad and Emirates. Last summer I went to Thailand for £420, Glasgow-Dubai-Bangkok, this summer....£100. I need to get £100 of airmiles and I get a free ticket. I love them Middle East Airlines, I use fly with Gulf Air all the time...before they went all rubbish and crashing

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for you, I couldn't imagine feeling like that and I have a fear of heights! Though I never seem to feel this panic in a plane.
    I think for me, it's a combination of a fear of heights, claustrophobia and being completely out of control. It doesn't help that my Mom and sister live in America too so every year I just have to suck it up for the flight! I will however, only fly Virgin Atlantic across. I think these guys have a really good safety rating. Or at least, that's what I try and tell myself!

EDIT: Why neg me for talking about what I'm scared of?!

ReputationRep:
    I think for me, it's a combination of a fear of heights, claustrophobia and being completely out of control. It doesn't help that my Mom and sister live in America too so every year I just have to suck it up for the flight! I will however, only fly Virgin Atlantic across. I think these guys have a really good safety rating. Or at least, that's what I try and tell myself!
    Well they do yes, but then they have 39 planes in comparison to Ryanairs 272, BAs 233, AA's 622 etc. (all of which also have excellent safety records). I'd have a better safety rating in my taxi than National Express would across their entire fleet - doesn't mean you're safer with me. (Hopefully it doesn't scare you even more! I'm just trying to say there is no reason to stick to Virgin and you could use the other big airlines - the money saved may even allow you to see them more if you're willing to!).

I was scared of flying before I got on my first flight, and although I've been on 18 flights in 3 years I still get a little nervous during take-off, so I know where you are coming from! You are much, much more safer in a plane than a car but no matter how much you keep telling yourself that you still struggle to believe it! It's definitely a control thing for me as well. In a car crash I'd feel a lot more able to do something to protect myself (whether I'd actually be able to do anything or not is another matter) but in a plane you're helpless and thousands of meters off the ground. Hopefully if you stick at it you'll get over it soon enough.

As to Ryanair, if there is a difference in leg room, I genuinely cannot notice it between them and BA. I also find Ryanairs seats pretty comfortable, and am very glad they got non-reclining ones - I HATE it when people recline their seats back on me in a plane!

Their customer service is dreadful but unless a flight is cancelled etc. (unlikely - luckily never happened to me) you have very little reason to use them. The first person I interacted with from Ryanair was at the gate as I was walking onto the aircraft. Their onboard menu is a rip off - but I've seen worse and if you can't last a 1-3 hour flight without food or drink, bring it with you or buy it at the airport (WHSmiths are always doing a Telegraph plus 0.75l of Buxton for £1).

Without them there is no way I'd be able to afford all the flying I do/plan to do this Summer. The average cost of the flights I'm taking around Europe should be around £10 thanks to them - and in total will probably be the same as 1 return fare with BA. Yes, them flying to secondary airports can be a bit annoying, but it's generally an hour away by cheap coach or train - not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Well they do yes, but then they have 39 planes in comparison to Ryanairs 272, BAs 233, AA's 622 etc. (all of which also have excellent safety records). I'd have a better safety rating in my taxi than National Express would across their entire fleet - doesn't mean you're safer with me. (Hopefully it doesn't scare you even more! I'm just trying to say there is no reason to stick to Virgin and you could use the other big airlines - the money saved may even allow you to see them more if you're willing to!).

I was scared of flying before I got on my first flight, and although I've been on 18 flights in 3 years I still get a little nervous during take-off, so I know where you are coming from! You are much, much more safer in a plane than a car but no matter how much you keep telling yourself that you still struggle to believe it! It's definitely a control thing for me as well. In a car crash I'd feel a lot more able to do something to protect myself (whether I'd actually be able to do anything or not is another matter) but in a plane you're helpless and thousands of meters off the ground. Hopefully if you stick at it you'll get over it soon enough.

As to Ryanair, if there is a difference in leg room, I genuinely cannot notice it between them and BA. I also find Ryanairs seats pretty comfortable, and am very glad they got non-reclining ones - I HATE it when people recline their seats back on me in a plane!

Their customer service is dreadful but unless a flight is cancelled etc. (unlikely - luckily never happened to me) you have very little reason to use them. The first person I interacted with from Ryanair was at the gate as I was walking onto the aircraft. Their onboard menu is a rip off - but I've seen worse and if you can't last a 1-3 hour flight without food or drink, bring it with you or buy it at the airport (WHSmiths are always doing a Telegraph plus 0.75l of Buxton for £1).

Without them there is no way I'd be able to afford all the flying I do/plan to do this Summer. The average cost of the flights I'm taking around Europe should be around £10 thanks to them - and in total will probably be the same as 1 return fare with BA. Yes, them flying to secondary airports can be a bit annoying, but it's generally an hour away by cheap coach or train - not the end of the world.
    I suppose getting back to the original point, I haven't really had any need to use a budget airline. I choose Virgin Atlantic to fly across to Florida on because I have just always used them, and my Dad picks up the tab everytime heh. In Australia, all of my flights have been with Qantas but that was just how things panned out (I got to use some miles to get pretty good discounts off of a couple of extra flights I added to the itinerary), but again, I wasn't paying again. In both instances though, I they are long haul and being sat on a plane for so long, I like to know that I'm getting a good comfortable service.

If I did want to do some trips in Europe, even with all of my prejudice I would use a low cost airline probably because I would be paying my own way and the length of time on the flight wouldn't really warrant spending tonnes on the flight. But I would have a sullen look on my face the whole flight!

ReputationRep:
    I love the irony that easy jet was the advert beside the video :mmm:
    I am flying out with a cheap airline today and already I can tell it's going to be bad :no:. They've changed the online stuff to say that I haven't paid for baggage when it cost me £30 to do so
    I normally fly out with lufthansa when going to Germany so I'm really nervous. (Just to point out, I am not a snob, I just have an epic fear of flying and I like to use airlines that I've used before so I know I'll get there safely. This sounds silly I know, but it's a fear. I was a mess the first time I flew with ryanair :p:)

ReputationRep:
    I think Ryanair is great. Despite the fact their £5 flights end up being about £50 after taxes and their silly £10 card payment charge, it's still a great deal. It means I can travel really cheaply to see my family in Ireland and France. Despite all of the stories, Ryanair have got a great record for on-time flights. I was only ever delayed once and that was in quite bad weather conditions. Having said that, on my last flight to Dublin it rather felt like the pilot half crash landed in order so they could play that fanfare about "another on-time Ryanair flight." Comfort isn't an issue as they're such short flights so does it matter? It does suck that you have to pay to use the loo but to be fair any Ryanair flights I've been on were all between 1 and 2 hours long so I can easily wait. All in all they do exactly what I want from an airline, get me from airport A to airport B quickly and cheaply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.