Turn on thread page Beta

Are CHEAP flights really worth it... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    I think for me, it's a combination of a fear of heights, claustrophobia and being completely out of control. It doesn't help that my Mom and sister live in America too so every year I just have to suck it up for the flight! I will however, only fly Virgin Atlantic across. I think these guys have a really good safety rating. Or at least, that's what I try and tell myself!
    Well according to wikipedia, they've only ever had 2 accidents/incidents, but tbh most of the times the causes of these incidents isn't the fault of the airline it's the plane manufacturer, i.e Airbus, so it's fairly irrelevant which airline you travel with. Virgin Atlantic is one of the most expensive to travel to america with, BA is normally cheaper, and Delta Airlines even cheaper than that, then theres KLM....

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the people that say their journey put a dampener on their holiday. Unless you nearly died or caught some horrible illness on the plane, I find that comment a bit dramatic. Putting up with a lack of leg room and noisy chavs for a few hours isn't that bad, come on. The plane food is ****, but surely you just bring your own snacks? I had a horrible journey to my last holiday being sick about 10 times due to really bad turbulence, but I got off that plane, calmed my stomach with some water and meds, had a little nap and went off to enjoy my holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Well according to wikipedia, they've only ever had 2 accidents/incidents, but tbh most of the times the causes of these incidents isn't the fault of the airline it's the plane manufacturer, i.e Airbus, so it's fairly irrelevant which airline you travel with. Virgin Atlantic is one of the most expensive to travel to america with, BA is normally cheaper, and Delta Airlines even cheaper than that, then theres KLM....
    My Dad just booked a flight for me yesterday evening and said that Virgin and BA were pretty much the same price flying at the time that I'm going. Like I said, money isn't an issue when someone else is paying
    I understand what you mean about the plane manufacturer. Is it up to the Airlines themselves to maintain the planes and make sure they're in tip top shape? I put my hands up and say I'm completely ignorant about the whole air safety subject and all of my problems are based purely on irrational fear.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I hop over the Ireland or fly down to London I use very very very cheap flights (Ireland is often <£10) and as long as you understand extra charges (baggage etc) you'll be able to keep it cheap! I wouldn't fly on a cheap flight any further than about an hour's flight though, as I'm not too keen on flying anyway and somehow feel safer if I've paid more for the ticket.. and yes I am well aware that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad just booked a flight for me yesterday evening and said that Virgin and BA were pretty much the same price flying at the time that I'm going. Like I said, money isn't an issue when someone else is paying
    I understand what you mean about the plane manufacturer. Is it up to the Airlines themselves to maintain the planes and make sure they're in tip top shape? I put my hands up and say I'm completely ignorant about the whole air safety subject and all of my problems are based purely on irrational fear.
    Yes it is, as they own the fleet. However in recent times there have been a number of issues with Airbus planes which apparently were a manufacturing defect which a component needed to be replaced or fixed which could only be done by the supplier and manufacturer of that component, in this case it was Rolls Royce.

I wouldn't worry though, you'll most likely be flying on a Boeing, they are a lot bigger, and generally much more reliable than the little crappy Airbus'.

That's nice your dads paying, wish someone would pay for my flights! lol

ReputationRep:
    I've used budget arilines twice, one for a trip to Dublin with Ryan Air and the other for a trip to Cologne with Easy Jet.Both were fine in terms of comfort but Easy Jet lost my luggage!.Got it back within a few days though.I'm planning a trip to Edinburgh soon and am going to be flying with Flybe, not used them before.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to book a flight now with Flybe for the first time. I thought they were a cheap airline but my return flight to Ireland is working out at £215 I'm so mad at that!? They advertise the price as including taxes... then this is a new one, even Ryanair don't do this - they charge you extra for a seat!? I thought it'd only be if you specified what seat you wanted but no, you can't continue until you choose a seat. I wouldn't mind if it was cheap but there are no cheap flights for me any more. Ryanair usually works out at roughly the same as Aer Lingus, give or take.

ReputationRep:
    They're worth it.

I would never fly on a budget airline. This is partly to do with my unfounded snobbery about the rest of the clientèle, and partly due to the fact that I'm convinced that every plane I go on is going to crash and there's more chance of that happening on a budget airline because the planes tend to be older and the pilots are overworked.
    easyjet has the youngest fleet in Europe and as far as I'm aware have never had a single crash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I'm trying to book a flight now with Flybe for the first time. I thought they were a cheap airline but my return flight to Ireland is working out at £215 I'm so mad at that!? They advertise the price as including taxes... then this is a new one, even Ryanair don't do this - they charge you extra for a seat!? I thought it'd only be if you specified what seat you wanted but no, you can't continue until you choose a seat. I wouldn't mind if it was cheap but there are no cheap flights for me any more. Ryanair usually works out at roughly the same as Aer Lingus, give or take.

One thing I've noticed about Flybe is their tendency to change prices throughout the week.As I said in my post I'm planning on going to Edinburgh next month so have been looking at airfares.If I look on a Tuseday it costs £65.02 but if I look on a wednesday or later in the week it jumps up to just over £80!!.If you have some time until your trip its worth checking their prices on a daily basis and see if they go up or down.

ReputationRep:
    I use cheap flights all the time since I fly frequently. I don't think I'd be able to go home as often as I do if it wasn't for Ryanair. My last return flight Glasgow - Riga was £30, WIN! Never paid more than £35 for a one-way ticket on Ryanair, and I dread the day when/if their ticket prices go up because this is far too convenient for me. It's cheaper than getting the train down to London! And I don't know why everyone is complaining about their customer service, I've never had any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Yes it is, as they own the fleet. However in recent times there have been a number of issues with Airbus planes which apparently were a manufacturing defect which a component needed to be replaced or fixed which could only be done by the supplier and manufacturer of that component, in this case it was Rolls Royce.

I wouldn't worry though, you'll most likely be flying on a Boeing, they are a lot bigger, and generally much more reliable than the little crappy Airbus'.

That's nice your dads paying, wish someone would pay for my flights! lol
    The airbus A380!!!
    (bites nails)
    There was the Qantas flight in November coming out of Singapore where something happened to the engine and they had to turn around.
    On my flight out to Sydney I filmed the wing as we were taking off, ya know, just incase :afraid:

(Original post by mf2004)
    They're worth it.

easyjet has the youngest fleet in Europe and as far as I'm aware have never had a single crash.
    You've got me looking on aviation crash websites now and it's not a good idea! Fuelling the fire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    One thing I've noticed about Flybe is their tendency to change prices throughout the week.As I said in my post I'm planning on going to Edinburgh next month so have been looking at airfares.If I look on a Tuseday it costs £65.02 but if I look on a wednesday or later in the week it jumps up to just over £80!!.If you have some time until your trip its worth checking their prices on a daily basis and see if they go up or down.
    Unfortunately I was waiting for my credit card to clear before I could book them but looks like it won't and I'll have to pay loads now

ReputationRep:
    You've got me looking on aviation crash websites now and it's not a good idea! Fuelling the fire.
    -_-' way safer than driving. stop being stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mf2004)
    -_-' way safer than driving. stop being stupid.
    Saying stuff like that doesn't help someone who is genuinely scared of something

ReputationRep:
    You know what. I actually like easyjet. I've flown with them a lot recently and I've not had any problems except a bit of a delay on take off of one flight but there was nothing I could do so no point in me getting angry about it. One thing, I wish they weren't so orange! Ryanair were quite good when I used them about 10 years ago!

ReputationRep:
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2011/04/15/r...-the-runway%2F

I REALLY think she would agree with the fact they are certainly not worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    That video was amazing!

Cheap flights aren't that bad though. If you're only going a short distance then who cares how crap the plane is.
    you mean how crap the service is, surely?! you wouldn't want the plane to fall out of the sky now, would you?!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose getting back to the original point, I haven't really had any need to use a budget airline. I choose Virgin Atlantic to fly across to Florida on because I have just always used them, and my Dad picks up the tab everytime heh. In Australia, all of my flights have been with Qantas but that was just how things panned out (I got to use some miles to get pretty good discounts off of a couple of extra flights I added to the itinerary), but again, I wasn't paying again. In both instances though, I they are long haul and being sat on a plane for so long, I like to know that I'm getting a good comfortable service.

If I did want to do some trips in Europe, even with all of my prejudice I would use a low cost airline probably because I would be paying my own way and the length of time on the flight wouldn't really warrant spending tonnes on the flight. But I would have a sullen look on my face the whole flight!
    Ah, when you said you'd only use Virgin I thought you meant you avoid all the other "decent" airlines like British Airways, American Airlines etc.

As to avoiding budget airlines, that's just down to choice and as long as you have the money, is a reasonable thing to do if service is important. If you do eventually try one - be open minded. Genuinely the only differences I noticed between Ryanair and BA in terms of comfort were the lack of a "free" drink and snack and no seat allocation (well, and the reclining chairs but as I said, I prefer planes without them anyway!). You may be pleasantly surprised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Is this every week or just for flights the following weekend? I.e. would a flight in a months time be cheap on tuesday, go up on wednesday then go back down the following tuesday? If it's just for upcoming flights it's normal for the price to increase as the plane fills. A lot of budget airlines work that way.

(Original post by laurand)
    I use cheap flights all the time since I fly frequently. I don't think I'd be able to go home as often as I do if it wasn't for Ryanair. My last return flight Glasgow - Riga was £30, WIN! Never paid more than £35 for a one-way ticket on Ryanair, and I dread the day when/if their ticket prices go up because this is far too convenient for me. It's cheaper than getting the train down to London! And I don't know why everyone is complaining about their customer service, I've never had any problems.
    The thing with Ryanair is if you don't have a problem with them, you have no need to speak to pretty much anyone - just 1 person as you get on the plane.

However, if you do have a problem, they are a complete nightmare to deal with, are incredibly inflexible and drag their heels at anything that may involve them giving back any money (like the spat they pulled over refunding expenses etc. during the volcano erruption - they've even put a £2 "Cancel/Delay" surcharge on every ticket now!). So far I've been fine as well (as are the majority of people) but I dread the day I ever have a problem with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Is this every week or just for flights the following weekend? I.e. would a flight in a months time be cheap on tuesday, go up on wednesday then go back down the following tuesday? If it's just for upcoming flights it's normal for the price to increase as the plane fills. A lot of budget airlines work that way.

The thing with Ryanair is if you don't have a problem with them, you have no need to speak to pretty much anyone - just 1 person as you get on the plane.

However, if you do have a problem, they are a complete nightmare to deal with, are incredibly inflexible and drag their heels at anything that may involve them giving back any money (like the spat they pulled over refunding expenses etc. during the volcano erruption - they've even put a £2 "Cancel/Delay" surcharge on every ticket now!). So far I've been fine as well (as are the majority of people) but I dread the day I ever have a problem with them!

I am looking at going at the end of may, so I use those dates to get prices.I think its sneaky though that as the plane fills the airline company increase their prices.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.