Turn on thread page Beta

Are CHEAP flights really worth it... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I am looking at going at the end of may, so I use those dates to get prices.I think its sneaky though that as the plane fills the airline company increase their prices.
    I meant, for example, you look on Tuesday 19th and it's £50, then Wednesday it goes up to £60 and then Tuesday 26th it's back at £50 again? Or has it just gone up once from Tuesday to the rest of the week?

I guess it can be a bit sneaky, but on the other hand, others can use it to their huge advantage. Plus it's just basic supply and demand - the more you have the cheaper you sell it for. Ryanair does it in a major way with their sale fares. By increasing the price as the plane fills you can get really cheap fares if you book early enough - such as the £8 flight to Oslo I have booked in June

ReputationRep:
    I love budget airlines. I went to Berlin for £20 return in March, and am going to Oslo for £16 return in June. I find they're fine for shorthaul flights with just hand luggage.
    That said, they do make "actual" airlines feel like luxury. I flew with BA the other day, and although we were only in economy, it was so different to Ryanair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    The thing with Ryanair is if you don't have a problem with them, you have no need to speak to pretty much anyone - just 1 person as you get on the plane.

However, if you do have a problem, they are a complete nightmare to deal with, are incredibly inflexible and drag their heels at anything that may involve them giving back any money (like the spat they pulled over refunding expenses etc. during the volcano erruption - they've even put a £2 "Cancel/Delay" surcharge on every ticket now!). So far I've been fine as well (as are the majority of people) but I dread the day I ever have a problem with them!
    Yeah, I have heard some horror stories about their way of dealing with problems. However, when my friend's flight was cancelled due to a snowstorm last winter, they were rather forthcoming and put her on the next available flight. I guess it depends on where you are/who you're dealing with.

ReputationRep:
    I meant, for example, you look on Tuesday 19th and it's £50, then Wednesday it goes up to £60 and then Tuesday 26th it's back at £50 again? Or has it just gone up once from Tuesday to the rest of the week?

I guess it can be a bit sneaky, but on the other hand, others can use it to their huge advantage. Plus it's just basic supply and demand - the more you have the cheaper you sell it for. Ryanair does it in a major way with their sale fares. By increasing the price as the plane fills you can get really cheap fares if you book early enough - such as the £8 flight to Oslo I have booked in June
    Yes your first sentence is what I meant to say in my post, sorry.Thats a fantastic bargain you got there, hope you have a great time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurand)
    Yeah, I have heard some horror stories about their way of dealing with problems. However, when my friend's flight was cancelled due to a snowstorm last winter, they were rather forthcoming and put her on the next available flight. I guess it depends on where you are/who you're dealing with.
    Yeah, they must be pretty low paid and if they've had angry people shouting at them all day because of the myriad of different rules you need to follow to get the cheap price (it's surprising how many people don't bother to read the pretty simple conditions of their ticket!) they'll be pretty annoyed. I guess you just need to catch them while they're in a good mood!

(Original post by Annie72)
    Yes your first sentence is what I meant to say in my post, sorry.Thats a fantastic bargain you got there, hope you have a great time
    Ah then I see how that could be pretty annoying - at least you know the good time to book now though!

ReputationRep:
    With flying regardless of which airline you use it's a few hours of your life to get you from A to B. So yeah they are worth it in many ways.

ReputationRep:
    2p from liverpool to dublin. cant complain really.

ReputationRep:
    Short or long distance, the only thing that matters to me is price. I would rather save some money on transport & be able to spend longer in my destination... But I am a student so I have all the time in the world but barely any money! People with less time have different priorities.

ReputationRep:
    hmm 4 hours of comfort or the same money being put to use to pay for 3 days +hostels somewhere?

(Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    tbh I've often found "budget" airlines to be far more expensive when u add in baggage fees, boarding pass fees and all their other fees and then the fact it doesnt include a meal
    hardly. I am about to book a flight now for 10 (20 including baggae) which is 100 on BA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Short or long distance, the only thing that matters to me is price. I would rather save some money on transport & be able to spend longer in my destination... But I am a student so I have all the time in the world but barely any money! People with less time have different priorities.
    this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    hmm 4 hours of comfort or the same money being put to use to pay for 3 days +hostels somewhere?

hardly. I am about to book a flight now for 10 (20 including baggae) which is 100 on BA.

Note the word "often" not always! Sometimes they're good esp with hand luggage...but be careful as they often charge for check in, booking seats, food etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    Note the word "often" not always! Sometimes they're good esp with hand luggage...but be careful as they often charge for check in, booking seats, food etc.
    This is common knowledge though. I dnt think ive ever been charged for checking in though

But yeah, a flight to spain or poland is only like an extended tube journey but with nicer views and a toilet. i dont understand why people are willing to pay 50+ more for a 2 hour flight with the only benefits being some average meal and slightly bigger space?

ReputationRep:
    - such as the £8 flight to Oslo I have booked in June
    Oh, you're going to Oslo, too? Ryanair, by any chance? :P: I've got flights £8 each way too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Oh, you're going to Oslo, too? Ryanair, by any chance? :P: I've got flights £8 each way too.
    Yep, the price is why I'm going really! It's actually down to £7 at the moment but I'm still reasonably happy with my £8 ticket, especially as it costs me more than that to actually get to Stansted anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I just came back from holiday. Flew with Ryanair - 3/4 babies crying simutaneously in the plane, BIG queues , staff that usher you about like a herd of sheep + no free food? GTFO!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the price is why I'm going really! It's actually down to £7 at the moment but I'm still reasonably happy with my £8 ticket, especially as it costs me more than that to actually get to Stansted anyway!
    Same, aha :P I somehow got away with a child's ticket travelling from Cambridge to Stansted at 4 in the morning when I went to Berlin. That cost something like £6 return. But I'll err on the side of caution this time, and get an adult one, methinks.
    To be honest, I don't even know what's in Oslo.. just fancy saying I've been there :L

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.