Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quoted stupid insurance prices? Take it to your MP watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Bagel Guy)
    Wouldn't they lose money? They offer lower premiums to the people that are most likely to have an accident?
    Yes, but there are more of them? I don't know, that is probs why they have such high premiums.... but it needs regulating!

(Original post by TickTockBoom)
    I work at night too. I normally get a lift home off someone I work with, but sometimes I have to spend nearly 2 hours wages on a taxi which seriously sucks but at the end of the day its my own responsibility. There is some sort of scheme where you can get a heavily subsidised scooter if you are 16-25, and can't use public transport to get to work or college. I've not really looked into it, but you could google Wheels to Work.
    Well, if they can subsidise scooters for people, why can't they just regulate the insurance industry! I am one of the people always giving coworkers lifts, but I don't mind, as on minimum wage with actual living expenses, they can't afford a car. But that is why it needs regulating, because not only does it affect young drivers, it also affects those who learnt to drive in their 20's and they are in a low paying job (in real life, unlike on TSR, not everyone is an investment banker earning 100k), and so can't afford insurance on a car. It is not always the case that new drivers are just kids who go to 6th form, and only need a car for recreational purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwatkins1991)
    Yes, but there are more of them? I don't know, that is probs why they have such high premiums.... but it needs regulating!

Well, if they can subsidise scooters for people, why can't they just regulate the insurance industry! I am one of the people always giving coworkers lifts, but I don't mind, as on minimum wage with actual living expenses, they can't afford a car. But that is why it needs regulating, because not only does it affect young drivers, it also affects those who learnt to drive in their 20's and they are in a low paying job (in real life, unlike on TSR, not everyone is an investment banker earning 100k), and so can't afford insurance on a car. It is not always the case that new drivers are just kids who go to 6th form, and only need a car for recreational purposes.
    They don't "regulate" the industry because if young drivers paid less, older drivers would have to pay more. Premiums are based on how much of a risk you are seen to be, I don't think theres a fairer way of doing it.

Trust me I know. I never learnt to drive because although I could have bought the lessons, no way would I have been able to afford to actually run a car. My boyfriend was running a car on a low salary before he decided to go back to uni. The scooter thing sounds pretty reasonable though, and public transport is generally fine if you live and work in a city.

ReputationRep:
    They don't "regulate" the industry because if young drivers paid less, older drivers would have to pay more. Premiums are based on how much of a risk you are seen to be, I don't think theres a fairer way of doing it.

Trust me I know. I never learnt to drive because although I could have bought the lessons, no way would I have been able to afford to actually run a car. My boyfriend was running a car on a low salary before he decided to go back to uni. The scooter thing sounds pretty reasonable though, and public transport is generally fine if you live and work in a city.
    But that is the point of the regulation... I know younger drivers are a risk, but by subsidising, it would enable younger drivers to get on their feet, have job mobility etc. Not everything the government does is for monetary gain, there are social benefits from regulating the insurance industry.

Exactly, you couldn't afford to run a car. Maybe you could have if insurance was cheaper, and maybe this would have enable you to get a better job (I don't know your situation, so this is all hypothetical, and more of a general 'you') The scooter thing is a good idea, and public transport is idea in cities. If i lived in a city i most definitely wouldn't have a car. But if you live in rural areas (where coincidentally there is less chance of a crash) you need to run a car. (To be fair, car insurance is cheaper in rural areas, I have had my licence less than a year and pay £1200) but that is still a lot compared to my parents £300!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwatkins1991)
    But that is the point of the regulation... I know younger drivers are a risk, but by subsidising, it would enable younger drivers to get on their feet, have job mobility etc. Not everything the government does is for monetary gain, there are social benefits from regulating the insurance industry.

Exactly, you couldn't afford to run a car. Maybe you could have if insurance was cheaper, and maybe this would have enable you to get a better job (I don't know your situation, so this is all hypothetical, and more of a general 'you') The scooter thing is a good idea, and public transport is idea in cities. If i lived in a city i most definitely wouldn't have a car. But if you live in rural areas (where coincidentally there is less chance of a crash) you need to run a car. (To be fair, car insurance is cheaper in rural areas, I have had my licence less than a year and pay £1200) but that is still a lot compared to my parents £300!
    If you live in a rural area and you are under 25 you can get a scooter though. Its probably cheaper to do that then to subsidise insurance, and it only targets the people who genuinely need the help.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in a rural area and you are under 25 you can get a scooter though. Its probably cheaper to do that then to subsidise insurance, and it only targets the people who genuinely need the help.
    Ok I give up, I am probably just bitter as I have to pay so much, it will get cheaper eventually though I suppose. Also, Scooters aren't safe.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    Perhaps we could revoke that silly EU directive which punishes women for the poor driving of men - that'd be a start.
    Equality, it works both ways.

Women who bang on about equality, you can't pick and choose the best bits.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion - if something is going to be made compulsary by law, it should be regulated fairly and everyone should be judged equally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    Equality, it works both ways.

Women who bang on about equality, you can't pick and choose the best bits.
    Lol and the whole thing is a farce, I'm waiting for someone to attempt to abolish masculine and feminine pronouns.

ReputationRep:
    I sure hope insurance is kept expensive. Seriously driving shouldn't be for the masses.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I call ridiculous. I MEAN WHY THE F*** WILL I PAY THAT MUCH TO INSURE A MICRA !!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Since there seems to be a lot of complaints about the cost of car insurance here, I thought I'd share this with you: http://www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/wes...3046-28521519/
    This kid also went to his MP, who's started an Early Day Motion, which doesn't necessarily mean that they'll debate it, however it might happen if the motion got enough support. http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-11/1697

I've brought it to my local MP's attention
    hi, im the Joshua Deacon, i started this petition, firstly i would like to thank you for your support, and i hope you have signed, if not search ipetitions/firsttimeinsurance into google, it will come up, if not i will give you the adress, also, please can you all write to your MP asking for support, as this would be crucial in getting my campaign further! i so far have 18 mps backing this cause, and 153 signatures on my petition, any ideas, or just want to share your views, then please sign and leave a comment, or reply on this post

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.