Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am a girl and I'm starting to go bald watch

Announcements

you can guess how high my self esteem is..
    plus there's hair starting to grow on my face.
    It might be hormonal but I'm really worried.
    I went to my doctor who is quite rubbish and he sent me for a cholesterol test :/
    I'm planning to change my doctor but just wanted to find out views on bald girls..
    one of my relatives had the same problem,all her hair fell out at 30 years old and it's not growing back..and i'm 17.
    i dont thing it can be genetic..but still

ReputationRep:
    http://www.greenfingers.com/images/s..._POUR_FEED.jpg

ReputationRep:
    have you been on any particular medication that might be affecting it? also check if there has been any change in your lifestyle recently that could be causing it...

ReputationRep:
    Alopecia? (sp)

Go and see your Doctor and he/she will be able to help. All the best?

ReputationRep:
    polycystic ovary syndrome perchance?
    Can cause hair loss / facial hair gain in women: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Polycys...roduction.aspx

Could be an underactive thyroid? Are you on any medication? I'm on steroid meds myself and they make my hair fall out a lot.
    But yeah, I think you should switch doctors if you're unhappy with the level of investigations.

ReputationRep:
    rogaine?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a hormone imbalance- balding and excess facial hair are male characteristics. you might have an excess of testosterone or other androgens

google polycystic ovary syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    Androgenic (sp) alopecia I think is female pattern baldness.
    Is your hairline receding? Not just on top, but all the way round?
    Otherwise, you could have telogen effluvium (caused by a very big stress, about three months before it started? like an operation or death of a family member, that kind of stress) or seborrheic dermatitis. Is your head itchy?

If the hair falling out has a little bulb/root on the end, it'll grow back. It'll just have been pushed out to make room for a new one.

rogaine,hormonal imbalance,underactive thrroid and polycystic ovaries?
    I'll keep note of these

ReputationRep:
    It's most likley an underactive thyroid gland...

Request a blood test, tis will tell you if your thyroid is under active or over active. If this is the case, they will put you on Levothyroxide. (I take this everday)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll keep note of these
    Hormonal imbalance is caused by an underactive thyroid...so their the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    go and see a trichologist

ReputationRep:
    It could also be Adrenal Hyperplasia, but you would have found that out ages ago if it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll keep note of these
    whatever it is, i hope it's not too serious and that it gets better

ReputationRep:
    Get your doctor to actually make an effort!

I would have guessed PCOS but obviously I'm not a qualified physician.

You're definitely not alone OP. Saw a woman on the tube with it and I didn't even bat an eyelash, hair is hair. Most celebs enhance it in one way or another anyway.

Hope it turns out ok.

(Original post by estrella1.1)
    whatever it is, i hope it's not too serious and that it gets better
    thank you i have a terrible life right now,so i hope things dont go downhill a bit more

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.