Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i think its when the heart first starts beating, because thats like the most important function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    i think its when the heart first starts beating, because thats like the most important function.
    yeah I did think that, then someone said it was around the size of lentil....that is about at 6 weeks I think. We allow abortion up to 24 weeks in the UK! It is a tough one.

ReputationRep:
    40 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggiewalley)
    yeah I did think that, then someone said it was around the size of lentil....that is about at 6 weeks I think. We allow abortion up to 24 weeks in the UK! It is a tough one.
    mhm but like at that point there is potential for a great living organism e.g. the person may have the potential to become someone important later on in life, personally i believe if there is nothing wrong with it then it is the time when life starts. I think life is a passage anyways, as you get older the more you learn, earn, develop and the more things you can do, you could never do all of that if your life was taken away from you before you could defend for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    mhm but like at that point there is potential for a great living organism e.g. the person may have the potential to become someone important later on in life, personally i believe if there is nothing wrong with it then it is the time when life starts. I think life is a passage anyways, as you get older the more you learn, earn, develop and the more things you can do, you could never do all of that if your life was taken away from you before you could defend for yourself.
    But surely you could argue that every sperm or egg was a potential life? But that would be ridiculous as you could argue that every time an egg is released a woman should be fertilised! Or even that every embryo is a life? Do you think life begins at conception?

ReputationRep:
    life is an anomaly

ReputationRep:
    But surely you could argue that every sperm or egg was a potential life? But that would be ridiculous as you could argue that every time an egg is released a woman should be fertilised! Or even that every embryo is a life? Do you think life begins at conception?
    i guess your right, i think it could start at conception but thats just the first stage, then theres chances of the body rejecting it and losing it through menstration, thats why i thought it should start when the heart starts beating because it would be a sign that the baby is able to live by itself since the heart beating is a autonomic response system. i think its like when a person is put on life support for a long period of time they are basicly dead and so there life is over but they are kept alive with the support of a machine, the same as a brain dead patient whos body may be functioning but the person themself is no longer there, maybe life is defined by a functioning organism, like how babys are able to start learning to walk and talk. So yeh the whole question is very hard to determine but maybe ill change my mind and say its when the baby is able to function properly on its own (excluding feeding and taking care of them) .

ReputationRep:
    i guess your right, i think it could start at conception but thats just the first stage, then theres chances of the body rejecting it and losing it through menstration, thats why i thought it should start when the heart starts beating because it would be a sign that the baby is able to live by itself since the heart beating is a autonomic response system. i think its like when a person is put on life support for a long period of time they are basicly dead and so there life is over but they are kept alive with the support of a machine, the same as a brain dead patient whos body may be functioning but the person themself is no longer there, maybe life is defined by a functioning organism, like how babys are able to start learning to walk and talk. So yeh the whole question is very hard to determine but maybe ill change my mind and say its when the baby is able to function properly on its own (excluding feeding and taking care of them) .
    Yeah, I totally see what you are saying! It is just always a bit iffy when someone uses the potentiality argument ! :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I totally see what you are saying! It is just always a bit iffy when someone uses the potentiality argument ! :P
    yup, i guess theres potential for everything though which is the problem, like yeh a embryo does have the potential to turn into a fully developed human but that does not mean it will make it that far e.g. birth complications and other problems , and lots of other things can go wrong, so yeh i guess ill stand by the point about when the baby is fully functioning

ReputationRep:
    When your dads **** enters your mums vagina.

honestly.

ReputationRep:
    yup, i guess theres potential for everything though which is the problem, like yeh a embryo does have the potential to turn into a fully developed human but that does not mean it will make it that far e.g. birth complications and other problems , and lots of other things can go wrong, so yeh i guess ill stand by the point about when the baby is fully functioning
    yeah, that seems a good point out of interest, do you study philosophy/ethics at all?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that seems a good point out of interest, do you study philosophy/ethics at all?
    Nope not philosophy but i do study psychology and human biology which both have a hell of alot of ethics in em

ReputationRep:
    between 0-whenever you begin to hate your family(11?) then when you leave home (16-18) to when you realise you hate your second family(35?)

ReputationRep:
    Life begins when you start living i.e. stop purely surviving and find your niche in the world.. where you belong and that becomes your purpose, thats in my opinion anyway

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its when the heart starts beating as your heart isn't what makes you a person, hearts can be replaced and you don't turn into somebody different your still you. I don't think the heart is the most important function at all, everything that makes you YOU, your personality your memories, emotions and thoughts are in your brain. so I think a brain is what makes a person a person.

ReputationRep:
    Shortly after your first sip of Absynthe:absinth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiam)
    between 0-whenever you begin to hate your family(11?) then when you leave home (16-18) to when you realise you hate your second family(35?)
    Damn, what's your story?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I think that logically Peter Singer's stance is the most sound.

But ideally it'd be nice to say that, to me, life begins at the moment you're born. As I would hate to try and justify to someone Peter Singer's stance in this day and age of strong human rights movements.

To those who don't know Peter Singer's stance is that life begins when they gain a biographical life rather than a sentian one- so when they can show preferences, and this can be still quite early on and something as simple as if a baby can show a preference between one food or another. But before that, new born babies can be killed as they do not have personhood and for them life has not begun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    I don't think its when the heart starts beating as your heart isn't what makes you a person, hearts can be replaced and you don't turn into somebody different your still you. I don't think the heart is the most important function at all, everything that makes you YOU, your personality your memories, emotions and thoughts are in your brain. so I think a brain is what makes a person a person.
    But you need the heart to supply blood to the brain in order for it to function, i think this is a never ending cycle, its a very opinionated topic, but yeh your right about the brain being who you are bit
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    'Life' does not necessarily equate with abortion limit - we kill 'alive' animals after all.

When something is alive and when it deserves the moral value of a humans are not the same.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.