Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya, apologies for another accommodation thread but some of them are a bit out of date now and I wanted to get some more current info!

I've made Exeter my firm choice as i absolutely loved it there when i went and the accommodation opens on monday so am starting to look at halls. I want to go self- catered, but other than that i'm not too fussed as long as there is a good atmosphere and a room of my own!

I'm thinking of putting Burke's Grange as my first choice.... I know people have said about it being on a hill put if i'm honest that really doesn't bother me at all- i quite like my exersize! I was also thinking of putting St Germans as my second but am a bit stuck on what to put as my third. I was thinking about Lawfrowda as most people who go there seem to enjoy it but am a tad worried about the prison- cell -esque interiour! On the website however it says that there are new Lafrowda blocks will provide accommodation comparable to Burks Grange.... does anyone know if this will be completed by the time i go there (October 2011)?

Also, with accommodation is it done on a first- come first- served basis or does it not work like that?

Any advice at all on which halls would be seriously appreciated! Cheers x

ReputationRep:
    birks grange village is pretty amazing, so that's a good first choice.

i wouldn't advice st. german's as a second choice though. it's so old that stuff keeps breaking all the time. if i were you, i'd put rowe house. it's a bit closer to campus, the kitchens are completely new (and lovely) and the rooms are bigger!

you could put st. german's as your third choice or maybe lafrowda enhanced. however, the new blocks won't be completed before september 2012 so you'd have to cope with what they have now. that includes the building works that will most likely continue next year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for that... that's a great help! Yeah i don't fancy noisy building works so might give Lafrowda a miss then!

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on James Owen? Birks grange is a definite first choice for me and i'm stuck between Lawfroda/ JOC for second/ place....help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kettle92)
    Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on James Owen? Birks grange is a definite first choice for me and i'm stuck between Lawfroda/ JOC for second/ place....help!
    What do you want to know? I'm living there at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    I'm putting Exeter down as my firm too. However I'm so stuck at catered or self-catered? Which is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackclaramunt)
    I'm putting Exeter down as my firm too. However I'm so stuck at catered or self-catered? Which is better?
    Self catered for me. I couldn't cope with having set times for lunch or whatever they serve
    And to the OP, they don't work on a first come first serve basis.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could someone describe me in detail the conditions for the self-catered campuses for prospective undergraduates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackclaramunt)
    It depends on what price you're willing to pay, whether you want to cook for yourself or would be ok with set meal times, even what course you're on - some of my friends have had to either skip or run to meals because of timings of some lectures.

When I had to choose, I had to pick self catered since I'm a fairly picky eater and don't eat at regular times anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaterCrafter)
    It depends on what price you're willing to pay, whether you want to cook for yourself or would be ok with set meal times, even what course you're on - some of my friends have had to either skip or run to meals because of timings of some lectures.

When I had to choose, I had to pick self catered since I'm a fairly picky eater and don't eat at regular times anyway.
    What's the social atmosphere like at James Owen? If you could compare it to other halls you've been in at any point that would be nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    What's the social atmosphere like at James Owen? If you could compare it to other halls you've been in at any point that would be nice

I can't really comment on many other halls, I tend to split my time between JOC and Lafrowda. JOC is right near town so everyone who wants to go out does (I can't afford it all that often so I go annoy my friend a room down from me). You get to know people quickly though, although that can be said of probably everywhere. There seems to be largely two types of people at JOC - the ones who enjoy going out a lot and never seem to be in their room, and those who either have way too much work or don't enjoy going out so much.

For comparison, Lafrowda has a much larger number of people per floor/flat and a larger number of blocks. The friend I go see there, well his flatmates don't really like him but they tend to go out together a lot, it's pretty much like all the other posts about Lafrowda.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with Lafrowda. No one needs a double bed and en-suite, really.

ReputationRep:
    Okay well I decided on Self Catered. Think I will put Birks as my first choice, St Germans as my second. Stuck between Lafrowda and Rowe House for third. Any suggestions?

University open days

1. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.