Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Physics is the most fascinating subject for me.
    The only reason I took A Levels was to study Physics...
    I took Maths alongside it (and music) and they are easy to me. Hopefully will get AB or BB.

I got 3 marks off an A for the january maths exam... And a U in Physics. Only 2 people in my entire class even got a grade!! (E and a C)
    I admit I didn't revise much and was only just starting to get mechanics as I took the test, but I didn't revise at all for maths!

I borrow physics books from the library, I buy books off eBay about Physics which are a good read, I revise every other day now I'm in the easter holidays.
    I got a B in my unit 2 mock (consulting my textbook) and full marks on the quantum physics section. However, I don't really understand electricity. all the interchangeable units confuse the hell out of me. My teacher says I have high potential but I feel I'm doing all I can. I'm retaking the January mechanics exam along with unit 2 but i think if i revise every single day I will get a D, maybe a C.

Why am i so good at maths and fail in physics when its the subject im most interested in?
    Any tips from people?

ReputationRep:
    Make threads to try to get a little help rather than moaning about something that people can't magically fix?

ReputationRep:
    If two people in your class graded I'd say that says something about your teacher more than it does about your ability.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Physics is interesting but that doesn't count for nothing.

The key to succeeding in Physics is doing lots of practice questions.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayden117)
    However, I don't really understand electricity. . My teacher says I have high potential but I feel I'm doing all I can.

Any tips from people?
    Your teacher is such a joker...

Anyway, try and learn the formula which are given, if you can remember the formula, you can generally remember the units... Just write down all the ones you need to know on a piece of paper and try to memorize them.

ReputationRep:
    I take scottish higher physics, don't know the similarity...
    If your good at maths then I don't see how could be bad at physics, its just mainly calculation work.
    On top of that you say your really interested in it...

Do you english students have previous exam papers available to you? If so then just do all of them to death and closely analyse the marking schemes.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on your exam technique. What exam board is this? You can know a lot about Physics but still fail horribly due to the way the exam is structured and the types of answers it requires from you. I personally had a friend who was clearly the brightest in my physics class and was very intrigued by the subject, but when it came to his exams he was getting Cs and Ds. Which I find always quite unfair, because it's not a real representation of what he knows.

During my AS I got a C and B for my first two modules. Aye, I was disappointed like you - Physics had always been interesting subject to me, but it takes getting used to a new exam style which is much different from GCSE (which was almost all multiple choice for me). I re-took, studied the **** out of the syllabus and got As and A*s in return, and for the following two modules too. It's more about how well you know the mark scheme, than the actual physics.

Past papers are the key to success.

If you're doing Edexcel, unfortunately their syllabus states that you're meant to be applying what you know to unknown situations - areas of physics you may not have even come across. If you know everything that they've taught back to front, these applied physics questions can still ruin you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2011

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.