Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclovin123)
    its due to a lack of effort.......not capability :cool:
    Why didn't you put the effort in? Don't just assume you have the capability even though you have yet to apply it. If I remember correctly your GCSEs weren't exactly brilliant, why didn't that cause you to concentrate?

ReputationRep:
    in one year? I called southampton and i told the women i was speaking to my situation and plans and she said "that would be fine". Could she have been wrong?
    Email/ ring more than one place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    I'm doing f.maths and chemistry is approximately 3.5 times harder than f.maths. most people I know doing f.maths agree, I think so too.

I'me doing OCR salters chem btw, hardest course out there
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Same, i actually think if we didn't do Salters chemistry wouldn't be that bad..
    Can I just ask what makes OCR salters harder than OCR A? I use OCR salters as extra practise papers for OCR A and the content doesn't seem to differ greatly, just salters has more applied stuff it seems. (And of course salters have funky names for modules).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freerider101)
    Can I just ask what makes OCR salters harder than OCR A? I use OCR salters as extra practise papers for OCR A and the content doesn't seem to differ greatly, just salters has more applied stuff it seems. (And of course salters have funky names for modules of course).
    Two books, all the chemical ideas from OCR A are used but they decide to throw another book of "applied" chemistry. Then theres the Individual Investigation. 80 pages of coursework hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Two books, all the chemical ideas from OCR A are used but they decide to throw another book of "applied" chemistry. Then theres the Individual Investigation. 80 pages of coursework hell.
    Why would your school choose to do salters? Whats the advantage? I've found OCR A to be quite a good course. Well at least I find all the exam papers stick to the specification very well so I can go in being confident of having the correct knowledge to answer all the questions!! I've also noticed extremely low grade boundaries for A!! F325 was 65% raw for an A grade in January!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freerider101)
    Why would your school choose to do salters? Whats the advantage? I've found OCR A to be quite a good course. Well at least I find all the exam papers stick to the specification very well so I can go in being confident of having the correct knowledge to answer all the questions!! I've also noticed extremely low grade boundaries for A!! F325 was 65% raw for an A grade in January!!
    I have absolutely no idea why anyone would choose to do the salters course, but i'm too far into it now to care..

ReputationRep:
    Work harder to get As in your summer exams, will stand you a much better chance.

And FWIW I found Maths much harder than Chemistry, and I was pretty good at Maths. But then I think they've taken some stuff off the syllabus since I took my exams back in the Stone Age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Work harder to get As in your summer exams, will stand you a much better chance.

And FWIW I found Maths much harder than Chemistry, and I was pretty good at Maths. But then I think they've taken some stuff off the syllabus since I took my exams back in the Stone Age.
    I am really prepared to do what ever it takes to get into medicine. I will try my best to get AAA in the summer. If i carry these on to A2 and Acheive AAB and then take this intensive Chem thing and get an A grade would i have any chance of an offer. Bearing in mind once i finish my A2 year i wil be taking a gap year to get ALOT of experience then apply. Do you think i could pull off AAA with only 30 days left in biology, psychology, and english lit?

ReputationRep:
    even then it's down to probability

and chemistry A level is considered the hardest a level, more so than further maths. Be wise, to do the chem course in one year sounds like a challenge
    Have you ever tried physics A-level. Your mind will explode.

ReputationRep:

If you did it between 2000-2004, it hasn't actually changed, they just shifted the syllabus around a bit.

P1-P3 became C1-C4, but they put in some useless extra co-ordinate system stuff in C2 and C4 to make splitting it into 4 modules 'fair'.

P4-P6 got renamed to FP1-FP3 in 2004 and again, the content is identical now, it's just been shifted around again in 2008 so that FP1 can be taught concurrently with C2. This actually makes FP2 and FP3 harder, but the content covered overall will be the same, so it makes little difference. All of the applied modules are exactly the same as they were before, except D2 and D1.

And to be perfectly honest to the second poster, anyone who thinks Chemistry is harder than FM is nuts. You can't even compare them. A prerequisite of studying FM is another A Level. Natural Mathmos may find FM easier, but that doesn't actually make it easier. And don't even get me started on M4 and M5. I checked with a friend doing Theoretical Physics at Manchester and he hasn't even covered some of the harder stuff in those chapters yet during his Classical Mechanics modules. Granted, when he does cover them, he'll probably go into greater detail than I did and with more applications, but still, it proves how advanced the FM modules can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    If you did it between 2000-2004, it hasn't actually changed, they just shifted the syllabus around a bit.

P1-P3 became C1-C4, but they put in some useless extra co-ordinate system stuff in C2 and C4 to make splitting it into 4 modules 'fair'.

P4-P6 got renamed to FP1-FP3 in 2004 and again, the content is identical now, it's just been shifted around again in 2008 so that FP1 can be taught concurrently with C2. This actually makes FP2 and FP3 harder, but the content covered overall will be the same, so it makes little difference. All of the applied modules are exactly the same as they were before, except D2 and D1.

And to be perfectly honest to the second poster, anyone who thinks Chemistry is harder than FM is nuts. You can't even compare them. A prerequisite of studying FM is another A Level. Natural Mathmos may find FM easier, but that doesn't actually make it easier. And don't even get me started on M4 and M5. I checked with a friend doing Theoretical Physics at Manchester and he hasn't even covered some of the harder stuff in those chapters yet during his Classical Mechanics modules. Granted, when he does cover them, he'll probably go into greater detail than I did and with more applications, but still, it proves how advanced the FM modules can be.
    I completed mine in 2002. Didn't do FM because I wanted a life in U6th and didn't need it for medicine.

I get what you mean about the pure stuff but don't forget we had to do an extra module of applied, so I did M1+2 and S1. Though I found applied much easier than pure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    Have you ever tried physics A-level. Your mind will explode.
    yup. it's rather quick to learn, I zoomed through the first unit in about an hour and a half the other night and scored an A (exactly ) the next morning on a past paper

it's very logical, albeit I won't be taking it next year because I heard the A2 is hell...

ReputationRep:
    I completed mine in 2002. Didn't do FM because I wanted a life in U6th and didn't need it for medicine.
    I do f.maths and I have a life

ReputationRep:
    I do f.maths and I have a life
    The way my school's timetabling worked I wouldn't have! One year of quadruple Maths lessons on a Friday afternoon was enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing f.maths and chemistry is approximately 3.5 times harder than f.maths. most people I know doing f.maths agree, I think so too.

I'm doing OCR salters chem btw, hardest course out there
    Im doing OCR salters too. Its challenging but satisfying too. I find it isn't the content inn terms of chemistry prinsipals that are difficult its the scenarios they put everything in that catch you out in the exam!!

ReputationRep:
    I applied during my gap year, I got ABC and I ended up with AA*A at the end of year 13. Go for it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherbet)
    I applied during my gap year, I got ABC and I ended up with AA*A at the end of year 13. Go for it .
    Wow! Can I ask how many resits you did and where you applied to initially?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You'll find it very difficult given that most med schools depend on Chemistry as the main subject of which they would have no idea how you are doing in it.

Basically it would be too risky to make an offer to you when there are people with AAAA and AAAB including Chemistry.

Next year though yes you'll have a shot providing you get AAA including chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemine1)
    Wow! Can I ask how many resits you did and where you applied to initially?
    I did 15 exams total in year 13, can't remember how many were resits lol. I never applied initially, I waited until my gap year and luckily got all 4 offers so don't lose hope!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i think i will be getting BBB in psychology, biology, and english this summer. I will take an intensive chem course during A2 at a local college with night classes to get the A Level in two years and i am aiming for an A*. I will apply after a gap year so would places like bsms and southampton mind if i retake an AS modual during A2 to bump them up ? Cheers
    I take chemistry, i got BB in gcse science and i struggled at first in the as course.. luckily my teachers were patience and always motivated me to not give up...over the past year my assignment and homework have increased in marks as i go over my work frequently and i have weekly tutor at college...it helps.I'm even considered doing chemistry at uni.....
    im just saying you can do it if you believe,put all yours effort in it and REVISE

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2012
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.