Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good evening,

I am thinking of reading Law next September at the University of Ulster's 'Magee' campus which is in Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

My question is this. Is Londonderry a safe place for an Englishman to go out and enjoy the nightlife?

I know the city was very badly affected during the Troubles and it was a republican hotbed for many years. But have things changed? I don't want to go there to find that there are certain parts of the I can't go to just because of the way I speak (I went to public school in Kent and have what many would consider to be a "toff's" accent).

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to popular belief, Londonderry is not, in fact Mogadishu.

ReputationRep:
    i would recommend moving this thread to the 'northern ireland unis' forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrician1993)
    Good evening,

I am thinking of reading Law next September at the University of Ulster's 'Magee' campus which is in Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

My question is this. Is Londonderry a safe place for an Englishman to go out and enjoy the nightlife?

I know the city was very badly affected during the Troubles and it was a republican hotbed for many years. But have things changed? I don't want to go there to find that there are certain parts of the I can't go to just because of the way I speak (I went to public school in Kent and have what many would consider to be a "toff's" accent).

Wear a hoodie, speak cockney, bring a ***** with you. Solved.

ReputationRep:
    If you do go there, I certainly would recommend not calling it Londonderry for a start. Educating yourself just a little bit about the history and local sensitivities of anywhere you go would be the first step...

After all, as another poster said we're not talking about some war-torn hotbed of anti-British sentiment. Derry people are fairly accepting of all races and nationalities, regardless of history, and tend to be very friendly. However the city does suffer some nightlife problems, in terms of drunkenness and anti-social behaviour. It's no better or worse than other similarly sized cities in the UK however. Use common sense, be safe, make some good friends and you should be fine.

Also - there's not really any areas you couldn't visit, though I'd recommend staying away from some late at night just in case. But I'd recommend it to anyone, regardless of where they're from. And, trust me, the areas I'm thinking about arn't worth being in anyway. In that respect it's no different from any other big town/city. For instance, I wouldn't wander around the back-streets of Peckham after midnight. Fortunately the university, city centre and near surrounding areas are all absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwanVsDalton)
    If you do go there, I certainly would recommend not calling it Londonderry for a start. Educating yourself just a little bit about the history and local sensitivities of anywhere you go would be the first step...

After all, as another poster said we're not talking about some war-torn hotbed of anti-British sentiment. Derry people are fairly accepting of all races and nationalities, regardless of history, and tend to be very friendly. However the city does suffer some nightlife problems, in terms of drunkenness and anti-social behaviour. It's no better or worse than other similarly sized cities in the UK however. Use common sense, be safe, make some good friends and you should be fine.

Also - there's not really any areas you couldn't visit, though I'd recommend staying away from some late at night just in case. But I'd recommend it to anyone, regardless of where they're from. And, trust me, the areas I'm thinking about arn't worth being in anyway. In that respect it's no different from any other big town/city. For instance, I wouldn't wander around the back-streets of Peckham after midnight. Fortunately the university, city centre and near surrounding areas are all absolutely fine.
    Why cant he call the city Londonderry? Just incase it upsets the sensibilities of those delicate Republicans? What if calling it Derry offends someone?

Kind of absurd - call it whatever you like.

To the OP, atleast 25% of Londonderry is Protestant aswell, its not entirely a Republican hotbed. There are some parts, like any city, that you probably want to avoid. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but i believe West of the Foyle is known as a hotbed of sympathy for terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    You're more likely to offend someone by calling it Londonderry than by calling it Derry tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm from Belfast but study at Magee in Derry, to be honest you will be fine there's not as much sectarianism as there used to be. It's becoming a good old cultural mixing pot

ReputationRep:
    Good evening,

you gonna get (har)ass-assed

ReputationRep:
    Londonderry, oh dear. This isn't a good start. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I went to Magee for law (graduated last summer). I loved it there but some of the people in my year weren't too happy with the standard of teaching etc so transferred to Jordanstown/ droppped out etc. Most people who finished ended up with 2.1s though (there was about 4 2.2s and 4 1sts out of a class of about 25-30ish).

The university itself is in the mainly catholic side of the city, and that's probably were you'll spend most of your time, but I never heard any stories of sectarianism or anything while I was there. I don't think many students really care about all that and the locals are lovely so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd probably stay away from the bogside but there's not really a big pile down there so you're not missing anything. If you don't want to draw attention to yourself then I'd stick with a licence for ID instead of a passport, but I'd recommend that for anyone especially if you're as careless as me.

As for the Derry/Londonderry thing; Most of my friends are Catholic so we all call it Derry and our Protestant friend does the same. Some people really emphasize the London bit though, so I'd probably just call it 'here' or whatever everyone else is doing.

ReputationRep:
    The Irish are awesome relax-Just don't be too Churchill, his second go in charge of the country has made him not so popular with are pickled friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Londonderry, oh dear. This isn't a good start. :awesome:
    Ass-assed, mate not harassed.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, don't freak out :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantstop-x)
    You'll be fine, don't freak out :p:
    As long as he (or me) is with you, of course. You don't freak me out, you sex me up, bring me in.

ReputationRep:
    Londonderry/Derry it just doesn't matter! If you call it Londonderry now, after living there for a few weeks you will be calling it Derry anyway it just happens. Any is fine!

Anyway... yes you are safe! I lived with an English flatmate who has just finished her 3rd year at Magee and is heading home, she didn't have no problems! There are other English students there that don't have a problem! You will be grand!

ReputationRep:
    About the name.. Derry is a mainly nationalist city and even unionists up there call it Derry because Londonderry is too long. Derry is common amongst everyone, Londonderry is exclusively used by one section or bus companies/bbc etc wanting to use the official name, just keep it in mind. Derry is a much safer term. Even most protestants in Derry will look at you as if you have two heads if you call it Londonderry.

And yes, Derry is perfectly safe and its actually a very nice place, the people are all very nice and welcoming. Know it well. Most people there can't tell a toff English accent to a normal one anyway. They speak like spacks.

ReputationRep:
    good evening,

i am thinking of reading law next september at the university of ulster's 'magee' campus which is in londonderry, northern ireland.

My question is this. Is londonderry a safe place for an englishman to go out and enjoy the nightlife?

I know the city was very badly affected during the troubles and it was a republican hotbed for many years. But have things changed? I don't want to go there to find that there are certain parts of the i can't go to just because of the way i speak (i went to public school in kent and have what many would consider to be a "toff's" accent).

dead man walking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwanVsDalton)

yeah 77% of the people of Doire do not wish it to be called "londonderry" so I would respect their wishes and call it Derry :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maria1291)
    yeah 77% of the people of Doire do not wish it to be called "londonderry" so I would respect their wishes and call it Derry :-)
    Dunno if it's as clear cut as that.I voted at the recent election and being from Coleraine I live in a constituency called East Londonderry, as stated on the ballot paper.I've never encountered a person calling it east Derry as such. I know alot of Protestants anyway use Londonderry for the county and Derry for the city to distinguish between the two. I'm slightly amused by many of my friends who aggressively argue for using the official title Londonderry yet in the next breath tell you how proud they are to be in an organisation called the apprentice boys of Derry! As u can see this is certainly not as black and White an issue as many portray it, like most things in life is suppose!In conclusion: call it whatever u damn want to old bean!!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.