Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by postmanpat1)
    Dunno if it's as clear cut as that.I voted at the recent election and being from Coleraine I live in a constituency called East Londonderry, as stated on the ballot paper.I've never encountered a person calling it east Derry as such. I know alot of Protestants anyway use Londonderry for the county and Derry for the city to distinguish between the two. I'm slightly amused by many of my friends who aggressively argue for using the official title Londonderry yet in the next breath tell you how proud they are to be in an organisation called the apprentice boys of Derry! As u can see this is certainly not as black and White an issue as many portray it, like most things in life is suppose!In conclusion: call it whatever u damn want to old bean!!
    In your opinion, honestly, is Coleraine a safe place for a republican, catholic or nationalist to study?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.Coleraine is of course a mainly unionist town but the student population here is very definitely mixed so you will undoubtedly meet people of the same political/religious persuasion as yourself.The real problem is not that one is a proud loyalist/republican, because diversity is a good thing, the real issue is if you seem bigoted or sectarian in your views which tends to rile people. Therefore I would advise anyone not to place too much emphasis on your political views for the sake of good relations with fellow students, who might hold polar opposite views! In general thankfully such problems are now a thing of the past. Out of interest where are u from maria1291?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrician1993)
    Good evening,

I am thinking of reading Law next September at the University of Ulster's 'Magee' campus which is in Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

My question is this. Is Londonderry a safe place for an Englishman to go out and enjoy the nightlife?

I know the city was very badly affected during the Troubles and it was a republican hotbed for many years. But have things changed? I don't want to go there to find that there are certain parts of the I can't go to just because of the way I speak (I went to public school in Kent and have what many would consider to be a "toff's" accent).

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.
    londonderry is a good, solid unionist city, full of good, honest proddies.

but don't go to derry, which is full of angry troublesome catholics.

and if you find yourself in both at the same time, well such is life in these confusing multicultural times!

ReputationRep:
    Really though, do call it Derry.

And don't wear orange <3

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.Coleraine is of course a mainly unionist town but the student population here is very definitely mixed so you will undoubtedly meet people of the same political/religious persuasion as yourself.The real problem is not that one is a proud loyalist/republican, because diversity is a good thing, the real issue is if you seem bigoted or sectarian in your views which tends to rile people. Therefore I would advise anyone not to place too much emphasis on your political views for the sake of good relations with fellow students, who might hold polar opposite views! In general thankfully such problems are now a thing of the past. Out of interest where are u from maria1291?
    Tyrone and I have a Republican, but promise not bigoted and I hate people that try to force their opinions on other people, but you know how this place is you basically grow up around catholics/nationalists/republicans, I am more educated tha most my age on Irish history and have no problem with protestants, or even unionists, just bigots who are brainwashed to hate on catholics/nationalists/republicans and treat us like we are inferior in our own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maria1291)
    Tyrone and I have a Republican, but promise not bigoted and I hate people that try to force their opinions on other people, but you know how this place is you basically grow up around catholics/nationalists/republicans, I am more educated tha most my age on Irish history and have no problem with protestants, or even unionists, just bigots who are brainwashed to hate on catholics/nationalists/republicans and treat us like we are inferior in our own country.
    I agree with everything you say, even though we're on opposite sides of the 'fence' as it were politically haha.Strangely I enjoy meeting others (like yourself) who are of a different political persuasion and have a good conversation on history/politics, as long as it's good natured of course!If ur goin 2 uni in Coleraine you'll have no problems I'm sure. You should meet our history teacher (from Larne which explains him) a proper old neo-nazi, ultra loyalist, evangelical prod if ever u met one.Don't let thosw types deter you though they're very much a minority!

ReputationRep:
    Lol it's no worse than going to a uni in london, manchester glasgow or cardiff!

ReputationRep:
    Go around dressed in orange, you'll make many a friend.

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, honestly, is Coleraine a safe place for a republican, catholic or nationalist to study?
    coleraine is sweet enough for students doesnt matter what you are. in saying that wouldnt go for a dander in certain areas. in general its fine though, even if it is close to a **** hole called ballymena.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everything you say, even though we're on opposite sides of the 'fence' as it were politically haha.Strangely I enjoy meeting others (like yourself) who are of a different political persuasion and have a good conversation on history/politics, as long as it's good natured of course!If ur goin 2 uni in Coleraine you'll have no problems I'm sure. You should meet our history teacher (from Larne which explains him) a proper old neo-nazi, ultra loyalist, evangelical prod if ever u met one.Don't let thosw types deter you though they're very much a minority!
    lol my teachers were the opposite, republican leftie atheists and all language activists to the last man. shocking difference.

i enjoy it too, but only with certain people. seeing a girl whos protestant, but like me, doesnt give a **** but obviously has opinions, we had to agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much and its great to see that we can respect each other opinions, you have put my mind more at ease!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    coleraine is sweet enough for students doesnt matter what you are. in saying that wouldnt go for a dander in certain areas. in general its fine though, even if it is close to a **** hole called ballymena.
    Ballymena is hard core! I actually have family living there, I have been referred to a "Fenian ****er" manys a time when I was a child, didn't even know what a fenian was!! I however I am more than proud to be reffered to a fenian now :-). Like seriously its on the same level as using the n-word for a black person, I hate that word!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ballymena is hard core! I actually have family living there, I have been referred to a "Fenian ****er" manys a time when I was a child, didn't even know what a fenian was!! I however I am more than proud to be reffered to a fenian now :-). Like seriously its on the same level as using the n-word for a black person, I hate that word!!!
    Tell me about it: it is Ian Paisley's hometown after all ha! But seriously I'm in the same position as you frankly, as I'm hoping to do pharmacy at Queens, and am slightly concerned about the perceived republican tendencies of many of their students, so people tell me anyway.But regarding Coleraine I can speak from an informed position to you and assure you you'll have no worries

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it: it is Ian Paisley's hometown after all ha! But seriously I'm in the same position as you frankly, as I'm hoping to do pharmacy at Queens, and am slightly concerned about the perceived republican tendencies of many of their students, so people tell me anyway.But regarding Coleraine I can speak from an informed position to you and assure you you'll have no worries
    Thank you! One less worry on my mind.

ReputationRep:
    So have I, but its never bothered me taig is far worse to me. especially considering im not even catholic haha

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt worry about that mate, Queens has everything from Sinn Fein, SDLP, UUP, DUP students and people who just dont care. I'd say most hurley heads go to Jordanstown anyway, and the wee bitter Republicans just commute from West Belfast.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people I've met from Londonderry/Derry get around the whole issue by calling it 'Slash City'.

Strange place Ulster but overall lovely people (and I say that even after a few tours of being a potential bullet catcher in South Armagh).

If you are from outside Ulster keep away from religion and football (the two are very much interlinked) and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    So have I, but its never bothered me taig is far worse to me. especially considering im not even catholic haha
    Yeah I am not a Catholic in the church sense either. What does taig actually mean?

I found Fenian to be a compliment, it is so interesting I remember studying Michael Collins and anyway I came across this Catholic priest who held the few "the flames of hell are not hot enough for those Fenians". Strange isn't it? Something I can actually picture Mr Paisely saying himself.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am not a Catholic in the church sense either. What does taig actually mean?

I found Fenian to be a compliment, it is so interesting I remember studying Michael Collins and anyway I came across this Catholic priest who held the few "the flames of hell are not hot enough for those Fenians". Strange isn't it? Something I can actually picture Mr Paisely saying himself.
    Its ironically derived from a saying in the Irish language :cool:, Fenian too.

ReputationRep:
    You might die, but of boredom. I found a tour of the city interesting, but in terms of things to do, it looked so boring.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.