Turn on thread page Beta

Mum said this (i consider extremely hurtful) watch

Announcements

Look, I love my mum and have always done whatever she says, look out for her, help her out like what majority kids are brought up to do. Im not saying im perfect but I try my best. I appreciate everything my parents have done for me, all opportunities they have given me that other families could not get their children.

Im at uni at minute, studying hard to get a job so that I can be successful like my parents were, pay them back for all they "invested" in me (crude way to put it, but hope you see where im coming from)

Anyway, other day my mum, invited all other mum friends around for drink and talking about their kids not working hard enough for good grades and just partying all the time, when my mum says this "No matter how much thread you give your children they only leave enough to tie a noose" Im pretty hurt by this, am I over reacting, how would you feel if one of your parents said this to you.

ReputationRep:
    Man up.

ReputationRep:
    well its a mean thing to say but she was probably just talking without thinking, like everyone does. just be annoyed for a while and then get over it; its all you really can do

unless you want to ask her why she said that, in which case try not to raise your voice

and nh youre not overreacting but i dont think anything will come out of being hurt

ReputationRep:
    Don't take it to heart, im sure your mum didnt mean it.

Trust me, if she did, you'd have had a tough relationship back at home. She'd be saying it to your face constantly if she honestly meant it.

The mums were probably just having a bit of a complain. So don't worry about if your over-reacting or not, just make sure you remove this from mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Look, I love my mum and have always done whatever she says, look out for her, help her out like what majority kids are brought up to do. Im not saying im perfect but I try my best. I appreciate everything my parents have done for me, all opportunities they have given me that other families could not get their children.

Im at uni at minute, studying hard to get a job so that I can be successful like my parents were, pay them back for all they "invested" in me (crude way to put it, but hope you see where im coming from)

Anyway, other day my mum, invited all other mum friends around for drink and talking about their kids not working hard enough for good grades and just partying all the time, when my mum says this "No matter how much thread you give your children they only leave enough to tie a noose" Im pretty hurt by this, am I over reacting, how would you feel if one of your parents said this to you.
    Don't take it seriously. I know of mum's that say things like this, but they don't really mean it. Just man up, and prove her wrong Mum's do this when they get together and are in need of a rant. And you never know, she probably wasn't directing this at you.

Don't get upset by it. I've heard mean things, but in the end, i know my parents are always behind me on everything i do. And parents can say things when they're frustrated.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    She was probably just trying to be included in the conversation. If she turned round and said "Well my kid is perfect, sucks to be you", they may not have appreciated it much.

ReputationRep:
    My mum tells me I'm a mistake all the time and she would rather die than have me all over again. el oh el?

ReputationRep:
    People say things without really thinking. SOme visitors once went on a long rant about how people shouldn't remarry, you can never love as much after the first time, and you would never love a child that wasn't yours, they would be a burden, etc. They were visiting myself and my stepmother, so decidedly heartless. hurt both of us a lot, but they didn't actually mean it...

ReputationRep:
    haha. are you serious.. my parents have said way worse to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButterflyWishes)
    haha. are you serious.. my parents have said way worse to me.
    This

But yeah, I agree with the majority, she was probably speaking without thinking. I wouldn't get upset by it to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you get the knot right.

ReputationRep:
    your over reacting... my mum has said loads 2 me over the years... so have i... doesn't mean she doesnt love u...doesnt mean anything... just means she was stressed and said wotever cam into her head. my mum once said im a disappointing son ... the next week she said she wouldnt change a thin bout me :P loooool

ReputationRep:
    My parents are nicer than yours.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum always used to say things which I didn't think were nice (or true) about me when her friends were round.. I asked her about it a couple of years ago and she said that it'd been because she felt so sorry for them having problems with her children she didn't think she could brag about me, as I was always a geek lol.

Maybe something similar is the case here?

ReputationRep:
    Grow some balls...

And if your a Woman... Grow some Ovaries

Mmmmm Ovaries :perv:

ReputationRep:
    Actually.....that`s pretty harsh! .......But I have received loads of hurting comments in the past. I think it will be best to just let go of it, in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I am really close to my mum and would be quite hurt if she said that. It sounds like she was only joking though - not talking about you specifically but just trying to sympathise with her friends? Why don't you talk to her and explain you're a bit upset by it? I'm sure she'll reassure you

PAHAHAHA. Think thats bad? You should hear the things I am called!!
    Don't worry about it. At the end of the day shes your mam and she loves you.

Posting anon as my mum actually found me on here once

ReputationRep:
    You should try out Asian parents, they are NOT for the faint hearted :P

Oh and why are you taking that seriously, it's your mother! Just keep working hard and make her proud.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.