Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mum said this (i consider extremely hurtful) watch

My mum called me a failure several times on Skype t'other day and seems to have it in her head that I am somehow workshy even though I rennovated most of the family home (for nothing), have invested thousands of hours in her slightly OTT brother's business (again for nothing) and she'd not long since discovered my academic achievement award (which I didn't do anything other than what I always do in terms of work for)

Me old man also once angrily called me a **** son and meant it, and he's nice as pie and never says boo to a goose..

In truth I'm pretty ****ing awesome it's just I've been dogged by chronic ill health for many years so I haven't been able to live up to their/my own aspirations. You might say that their comments are rather cruel/unfair but do you see me coming on here, starting a thread and whining about it?

Sometimes people we care about will say unfair/overly critical things, other times they'll say things apparently in jest which may appear unfair/insensitive. You just have to take these comments in context (if they're jokey, in a bad mood etc) and hold them up against the rest of your experience with that person

If they're always making you feel bad then you've got a problem and should probably distance yourself from that person and focus on those who treat you well I've done this with my sister, funny thing is we get on better now than ever but every once in a while she shows such spite/resentment that I just can't let myself give a damn about her anymore

In the case of my rents, my old man was ill when he said the above and I was under everyone's toes at the time as I was housebound with my health so in one sense it was understandable, if not justifiable. My mum, I've come to expect judgemental/gobbyness from - sure it's not ideal but were it not for our firey relationship I wouldn't have half the oral communication/debate/negotiation skills I have today - always look on the bright side 'n' all that

**** happens, man up, this stuff is usually only 1/2 meant (especially when said in jest) and typically serves as to make us stronger either way
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2011
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.