Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

David Cameron's speech on immigration and Vince Cable stifling legitimate debate watch

ReputationRep:
    In light of Vince Cable attacking David Cameron's speech on immigration.

I mean, Cameron brings up how in the past people have been accused of racism for discussing immigration - and Cable proceeds to shout down Cameron's speech using the the excuse that it will inflame extremism.

Cameron's speech was hardly imflammatory or offensive - I think a lot of people (from all backgrounds) share the concerns that he has brought up.

What scaremongering by Cable. He is basically implying that politicians should give in to extremists (even though I highly doubt Cameron's speech will provoke any sort of extremism) by refraining from discussing a legitimate topic.

I know people on this forum hate the cliché term 'political correctness' - but I think it's pathetic how certain people attempt to stifle legitimate debate because they are afraid of offending people.

ReputationRep:
    He got fed up with saying "I agree with Dave".

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can talk about it, but some things Cameron said have already been snatched up by the BNP. He could have been a lot more sensitive about it I think.

But w/e, people will get angry the moment you use the word 'immigration'. It's become quite boring now...

ReputationRep:
    Immigration in this country is completely and utterly out of control. The sooner we have people stand up and speak the truth the better for us all. The reason that parties such as the BNP and the EDL continue to grow is because the common man's thoughts on immigration are completely and utterly ignored by the smug left-wing.

Unfortunately I don't see anything changing any time soon. The minute any brings up the issue they are called racist. It's sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)
    Of course you can talk about it, but some things Cameron said have already been snatched up by the BNP. He could have been a lot more sensitive about it I think.

But w/e, people will get angry the moment you use the word 'immigration'. It's become quite boring now...
    What? More sensitive? His words were not offensive at all. Have people developed such thin skin that politicians need to sugar-coat their language to a ridiculous extent when discussing important issues?

And the BNP would snatch up any speech on immigration, even a heavily sugar-coated one. I don't think that's an excuse to censor such discussions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storna)
    What? More sensitive? His words were not offensive at all. Have people developed such thin skin that politicians need to sugar-coat their language to a ridiculous extent when discussing important issues?

And the BNP would snatch up any speech on immigration, even a heavily sugar-coated one. I don't think that's an excuse to censor such discussions.
    Blaming immigration on the collapse of communities? Blaming immigrants for not learning English when he's caused dozens of English language centres to be closed down? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying sugar coat, but don't scape goat either.

I have my own personal views on immigration which I'm not going to bother airing here, but I must admit I did chuckle when I read his speech at some of the hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    Immigration really has been utterly rampant. It has been completely out of control for years and has pretty much changed the ethnic demographic of many parts of the UK over night.

For christ sake 3 million immigrants have arrived in the past 5 years. Labours cavalier attitude to immigration has been terrifying and it is one of the reasons that I will never, ever vote for Labour again, and many of my friends and family feel the same way.

Your average Briton is not against controlled immigration from any part of the world, however many opinion polls have shown that the vast majority of Britons are dead against the tidal waves of immigraiton that have hit Britains shores in the past 5 years.

Labour has shown nothing but conempt for the British peope and complete incompetence in their controlling of immigration.

And their far liberal attitude is scary. During the reccession, Australia for instance, made sure that redundancies would hit immigrants back and even sent immigrants home. However labour came out with the stateent 'we must protct immigrant jobs'. The fact that Labour are prepared to put the livelhood and employment of immigrants above Britons is disgusting and the same goes for social housing.

Controlled immigration and tightly restricted immigraiton from the third world is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    While for the most part, Cable is perhaps one of the politicians that to me speaks the most sense, this time, he got it wrong. Cameron said nothing wrong whatsoever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.