Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just briefly borrow the £1500 from somebody, and give it back later. And does the guarantor have to be your Mum? Can't a trusted friend do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomU)
    Presuming you'll be accepting your Cambridge offer, I'd be really interested to hear what your college say about your financial guarantee form and living costs etc.

I'm having real trouble with Hughes Hall at the moment, as my maintenance loan and government bursary only come to a total of ~£6500, leaving me £1700 short of the figure that Cambridge recommend. They've asked me how I am expecting to make up the shortfall and, after telling them that I'd be hoping to get the Cambridge bursary, they told me that they don't take that into account with their calculations!
    Surely has to be a mistake/thick person in admin office?! I remember answering a question like this with no problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomU)
    Presuming you'll be accepting your Cambridge offer, I'd be really interested to hear what your college say about your financial guarantee form and living costs etc.

I'm having real trouble with Hughes Hall at the moment, as my maintenance loan and government bursary only come to a total of ~£6500, leaving me £1700 short of the figure that Cambridge recommend. They've asked me how I am expecting to make up the shortfall and, after telling them that I'd be hoping to get the Cambridge bursary, they told me that they don't take that into account with their calculations!

Notwithstanding that issue, I'm also having problems with the "Deed of financial guarantee" - it's asking for me to find a guarantor who is creditworthy to at least £10,000. The only person who might be is my mum, but her bank won't sign the form - so I'm probably going to have to get back in touch with my college and tell them that I can't do it.

I'm getting the feeling that, despite being extremely close to meeting the academic conditions, there's going to be problems with the financial stuff and that'll be my stumbling block. Let's hope not.
    Ugh, okay. Have found a bit of clarity.

This isn't Cambridge; it's Hughes Hall specifically.

Info: http://www.hughes.cam.ac.uk/Accepting_an_Offer

From that, I wonder if someone is still being thick - yes, it does say 'If any part of your funding is not provided by public funding or scholarship, the College requires that you provide a Guarantor who will accept legal liability for the payment of any debt you incur should you fail to pay them yourself.' - but that means that surely, if they want you to do it by the letter, then the college themselves should be your guarantor. That's on the informed guess (via the Bursary website) that bursaries are administered by colleges.

(edit: even though this would be circular - then you shouldn't have circular conditions, HH)

I'm annoyed I haven't got a copy of my King's documents so I can't see how they compare, but I'm wondering if HH are set up differently due to their intake. Nevertheless that doesn't give them dispensation to hold people to unfeasible, holey rules, as it seems might possibly be the case (am suspending judgement but
    fearing dread ting...)

Be bold and hold your ground, and stick with common sense - I'm behind you at least!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomU)

Notwithstanding that issue, I'm also having problems with the "Deed of financial guarantee" - it's asking for me to find a guarantor who is credit worthy to at least £10,000. The only person who might be is my mum, but her bank won't sign the form - so I'm probably going to have to get back in touch with my college and tell them that I can't do it.

I'm getting the feeling that, despite being extremely close to meeting the academic conditions, there's going to be problems with the financial stuff and that'll be my stumbling block. Let's hope not.
    Apologies for the delay in replying. At this moment in time I regret to say that I cannot add anything on finance as Lucy Cavendish have requested that the Financial Guarantee Form be returned between 1st June and 30th June, so I am yet to embark upon that debacle! Really not looking forward to it, I have additional costs for renting a family home that I won't know the value of until I sign up to a tenancy (hoping to make the move in August) so explaining that on the form should be fun, along with the half dozen sources of funding I shall be using (Cambridge Bursary was going to be one). I have a good relationship with my bank and am credit worthy so if all else fails I shall be making use of the 'Bank Loan' category on my form.

I gather, though, from your more recent posts, that you have had some more positive news and managed to negotiate with Hughes Hall on the bursary inclusion? Really hope that's right, if not, there is always a TSR whip round!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katee85)
    I gather, though, from your more recent posts, that you have had some more positive news and managed to negotiate with Hughes Hall on the bursary inclusion? Really hope that's right, if not, there is always a TSR whip round!
    Good luck with your financial forms, I hope you have an easier ride than I've had!

You're right, I'm a few steps further forward now. I'm in the process of getting the financial guarantee signed by another source, so I've got my fingers crossed that will work out and solve that issue. Furthermore, Hughes Hall have finally acknowledged that I am eligible for and will receive the full Cambridge bursary, therefore the £1700 shortfall is no longer an issue.

I'm down to my last couple of assignments on the academic side of things and I'm pretty sure that I'll get distinctions in these - research methods for psychology and tort for law. Both are really nice straightforward modules to finish the course with. Not counting any chickens yet though! Will hopefully have everything sorted out in the next few weeks and will have have my place confirmed (pending official certification from the exam board) by mid-late June.

Now that things are finally falling into place, I'm starting to get really excited about the prospect of going to Cambridge in October! Since I got the offer in January, I've really not been thinking about it that much as there's been so much college work between myself and Cambridge. Now that is almost all out of the way and the finish line is in sight, my mind is starting to wander and I'm finding myself getting excited about getting started on my degree!

Only 129 days to go! (Not that I'm counting or anything...)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=TomU;31691522]{and} Hughes Hall have finally acknowledged that I am eligible for and will receive the full Cambridge bursary[QUOTE]
    hurray!

I'm down to my last couple of assignments on the academic side of things and I'm pretty sure that I'll get distinctions in these - research methods for psychology and tort for law. Both are really nice straightforward modules to finish the course with. Not counting any chickens yet though! Will hopefully have everything sorted out in the next few weeks and will have have my place confirmed (pending official certification from the exam board) by mid-late June.
    yippeeee!

Now that things are finally falling into place, I'm starting to get really excited about the prospect of going to Cambridge in October! Since I got the offer in January, I've really not been thinking about it that much as there's been so much college work between myself and Cambridge. Now that is almost all out of the way and the finish line is in sight, my mind is starting to wander and I'm finding myself getting excited about getting started on my degree!
    wahooooo!

I sound flippant, but I'm dead serious This is brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear you sorted this out with Hughes Hall, I am a Hughes resident and I had the exact same problems with finance before I started last year, I am eligible for the bursary (and got it whilst here) but had to use finance from elsewhere to show I could afford my place even though I never ended up accessing it - a really odd system but once you have jumped through the hoops (hoping that everyone can somehow) you will be glad to know that once you are here things get a lot easier with finance and you can just talk to the finance/admin staff in college to sort your issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkerslaw)
    Glad to hear you sorted this out with Hughes Hall, I am a Hughes resident and I had the exact same problems with finance before I started last year, I am eligible for the bursary (and got it whilst here) but had to use finance from elsewhere to show I could afford my place even though I never ended up accessing it - a really odd system but once you have jumped through the hoops (hoping that everyone can somehow) you will be glad to know that once you are here things get a lot easier with finance and you can just talk to the finance/admin staff in college to sort your issues.
    Hey, you and I exchanged emails last year, how are you and how's your first year going? I still haven't applied, I'm going to give it a go next academic year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    Hey, you and I exchanged emails last year, how are you and how's your first year going? I still haven't applied, I'm going to give it a go next academic year.
    Had a cracking year, would recommend applying unreservedly to anyone who was considering Hughes or Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Hello, me again, sorry!)

Does this still run? Have only really seen mention of it for previous years, plus it was a sort of extended pilot.

Will trust Admissions to send me the relevant news as and when, if it is, but curious for now!

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how mature students are finding the course for History and how they found the application process.
    I'm starting a Access Level 3 course in September, I'll be taking History, English and either Human Biology or Criminology with the view of applying for Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chai wallah)
    (Hello, me again, sorry!)

Does this still run? Have only really seen mention of it for previous years, plus it was a sort of extended pilot.

Will trust Admissions to send me the relevant news as and when, if it is, but curious for now!
    just to clarify - this was a moved post from a thread called 'PREP course for mature students'! Never mind!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Did everyone meet the conditions of their offer? See you guys in October!

ReputationRep:
    After being pooled and accepted by Wolfson, the only thing the letter I got from them said, quite emphatically, was that the place is 'conditional upon the provision of a satisfactory financial guarantee next year' - I'm not completely despairing already. I had the full grants and loans from the government in place this year. I'm dreading forms in January that may end up in my still losing this place when with Pembroke it was simple.

Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accidisse)
    After being pooled and accepted by Wolfson, the only thing the letter I got from them said, quite emphatically, was that the place is 'conditional upon the provision of a satisfactory financial guarantee next year' - I'm not completely despairing already. I had the full grants and loans from the government in place this year. I'm dreading forms in January that may end up in my still losing this place when with Pembroke it was simple.

Ugh.
    This is very strange. So you received your offer and met the conditions for it but you weren't able to take up your place because you couldn't show you had the funds to study this year? But you did and they still didn't let you in? How can this be?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggs and Ham)
    This is very strange. So you received your offer and met the conditions for it but you weren't able to take up your place because you couldn't show you had the funds to study this year? But you did and they still didn't let you in? How can this be?!
    I think she got fished for next year - unless I've got the wrong end of the stick. The financial thing is just an extra headache (even though it's normal - but yes, ugh!)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I would like to apply to Cambridge next year (for 2013 entry). I am currently studying for my A-Levels at a distance learning school. Due difficulties in my family I had to leave school and move out when I was 16 so that I could work full-time and support myself. I will be nearly 23 in October 2013 and I would like to apply to a Cambridge college for mature students e.g. Lucy Cavendish.

What could you advise me to do until 2013 so that I have a change to get into it? Did anyone of you get an offer for Economics (which I would like to study). Which A Levels did you take?

ReputationRep:
    just to clarify - this was a moved post from a thread called 'PREP course for mature students'! Never mind!
    I've been invited to attend the PREP course, starting on the 28th September. Looking forward to it I'm glad I'll get an opportunity to move in a few days earlier, get free food and accommodation and have the opportunity to brush up on my academic skills before the real work begins!

For others attending the PREP course, I look forward to meeting you on the 28th :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomU)
    I've been invited to attend the PREP course, starting on the 28th September. Looking forward to it I'm glad I'll get an opportunity to move in a few days earlier, get free food and accommodation and have the opportunity to brush up on my academic skills before the real work begins!

For others attending the PREP course, I look forward to meeting you on the 28th :awesome:
    jealz! (Post or email?)

ReputationRep:
    jealz! (Post or email?)
    Email, however I didn't receive the first email they sent in late July. The first I knew of it was an email from Hughes hall asking why I hadn't responded! I am not the only person who has had the same problem.

I would suggest getting in touch with your college and asking them about it. There are still free spaces on it I would think, but you only get invited if you've been selected by the admissions tutor who admitted you. Can't hurt to give them a call and ask though if you think you'd benefit from it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.