This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ShOcKzZ)
that was poor
I know. I'm still trying to work out how that post made me remember that sad joke. I haven't heard it in like 5-6 years.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I said that a while ago. It can't really be inherited. It could be a mutation though, or a special combination of genes could be required.
You just contradicted yourself, there.

Ben
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I said that a while ago. It can't really be inherited. It could be a mutation though, or a special combination of genes could be required.
it could be carried on the X chromosome, in which case it is passed by the women
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
it could be carried on the X chromosome, in which case it is passed by the women
Or even the man.

Ben
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Or even the man.

Ben
or the man, yes, but people say that gay men do not pass on their genes (obviously)
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
or the man, yes, but people say that gay men do not pass on their genes (obviously)
Ah - but that's not necessarily true.

Ben
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Alot of gay people report an absence of a father figure.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Ah - but that's not necessarily true.

Ben
i know it is more necessarily true, but theres more chance of a woman passing the gay gene on (if there is one on the X chromosome) than a man.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i know it is more necessarily true, but theres more chance of a woman passing the gay gene on (if there is one on the X chromosome) than a man.
There's something like that in Matt Ridley's book, 'Genome'.

Ben
rschief49itsme
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Santasballs)
I'm not sure if this qn has ever occured to you guys but im just kinda curious. But i have come up with a list of explanation of what I think..

1. Its a free world
It's a free country. People are more open up nowadays. Gays/Lesbians marriages are being approved in some country. Media exposure also plays a part as some series show do display homo tendencies, which also shows that they tendencies are approved, accepted in today's soceity.

2. It's genetic
Im not sure if theres any gentic or scientific justification that it causes you to be homo. But it is proven that personality is completely genetic. Meaning it's out of control. Which i guess is the same thing of causing you to be homosexual.

3.Environment and upbringing
The environment does play an important part. If your friends are homosexuals or encourage homosexualiy, you would be influenced. Be it your choice or having peer pressure from your friends. However, i think upbringing affects the same way as the environment but people with stable family and lovely childhoods still turn into homosexuals.

4. Understanding of the same sex
Some people may be fed up of failed relationships with the opp sex. They have no confidence in the opp sex. They feel that theya re able to communicate and understand with the same sex better which might evertually lead to homosexuality.

That's all i can come up with so far... If anyone has any opinion, pls voice it out!

Cheers! =)
................................ ................................ ................................ ... Your attraction to the same gender could have been formed at an earlier age(as early as 3 to 4 years of age possibly). First we must understand that having an attraction to the same gender DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GAY. This attraction could of been caused by early experimenting with a friend(the first kiss,or playing house),or it could have been innocently done by experimenting with a sybling,or even if a child was molested,or toyed with by someone of the same gender causing an attraction to the same gender. Years later,like most kids,they may have forgot,or blocked this out,why they formed an attraction to the same gender ,but have a lasting effect on their subconscious(possible post traumatic stress).::: Also some children may have a disorder called gender identity disorder,or a sexual identity disorder(definitions can be found at Gender Identity Disorder Santuary.....http://www.mhsanctuary.com/gender/dsm.htm and http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/online_ar...l_I_G_web.html ) --This is not the same thing as forming an attraction to the same gender, NOR DOES IT MEAN YOU ARE GAY. Never call a child gay,because that child may think he/she is;if the child is undiagnosed,or untreated or uninformed. Show your parents this web site so they can see another view also,and then both you and your parents can make decisions together as a family.Many children are tortured with the fear of being considered gay,some withdraw from society at an early age because of the name calling,damnation being preached instead of the causes being discussed openly. I can say at 7 years old I would of liked to have been informed that being attracted to same gender did not mean I was gay,or that I was not gay, but i may have gender identity disorder,or sexual identity disorder.I used to rally for gay rights,thought I was born gay,now I rally for gay tolerance,because we can know,but not understand.We need time to heal...(for those that are concerned with issues of transsexual,transgender,transves tite, or bisexual:its my belief that we manifest our own rationality with what we know)........................... ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ . ------direct comments to [email protected]
rosco_baby
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
replying to:rschief49itsme

This make so much sense i didnt realise i was gay until year 10 but looking back i can see certain things that were always there. my family was really cool and was brought up in an open-minded atmosphere and it didnt matter in my family what you were. also my parents divorced when i was 6 and my dad who doesnt live me still has an active role in my life and i now feel closer to him after i told him but i guess being brought up in a feminine environment had made me effeminate but who cares? i dont know how or why your are gay but should we know? imagine all the scared and confused kids if it was "genetic" being told by your parents "you are gay because your genes say so". i just say let it be, let people experience things in their own time and develop to fully understand their sexuality.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Alot of gay people report an absence of a father figure.
So do a lot of straight people.

3.Environment and upbringing. The environment does play an important part. If your friends are homosexuals or encourage homosexualiy, you would be influenced. Be it your choice or having peer pressure from your friends. However, i think upbringing affects the same way as the environment but people with stable family and lovely childhoods still turn into homosexuals.
Upbringing and environment cannot "turn people gay" - that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What makes people gay is the fact that they fancy people of the same sex as themselves.

It is a lot easier for gay people to come out if they have gay friends or a liberal family that encourages openness, but they would still be gay if they didn't come out.

Actually, I take back what I said before. "I think upbringing affects the same way as the environment but people with stable family and lovely childhoods still turn into homosexuals" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You're saying that the normal circumstances behind someone being gay arise from an unstable family and awful childhood, as if they were somehow tainted by this and "turn gay" as a result. What?!
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Maskall.)
Its because poofs are queer and perverted.
Anybody else want this guy to leave? Now?
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rschief49itsme)
Show your parents this web site so they can see another view also,and then both you and your parents can make decisions together as a family.
hang on.... even if you could make a decision about being gay or not, should the parents really be involved?
Gaylord Queer
Report 14 years ago
Do you think concentration death camps should be rentroduced for paedophiles and gay poeple? This is an argument put forth thyt some people think we should. I am tryinmg not to make it a leadin queastion so I remain impartiaal. What do you think about this proposal?
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaylord Queer)
Do you think concentration death camps should be rentroduced for paedophiles and gay poeple? This is an argument put forth thyt some people think we should. I am tryinmg not to make it a leadin queastion so I remain impartiaal. What do you think about this proposal?
It's crap.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
Anybody else want this guy to leave? Now?
Ahhh, the famous maskall wannabee, indeed, he persevered for a long time. An admirable quality.
Amb1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's all to do with hormones. Everybody starts off as female (when first conceived) and the amount of testosterone/oestrogen...that we get determines our sex. If you receive loads of testosterone you will develop male traits (physical/mental/emotional), if you receive more oestrogen and female hormones then you will develop female features. Men have nipples because by the time the male hormones kick in those particular features have already developed. The amount of different hormones received also alters the brain. If a male doesn't receive enough of the male hormones he will still have some female characteristics, and if a female receives slightly too many male ones she will have stronger male attributes - which may include sexual preference.
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
It's all to do with hormones. Everybody starts off as female (when first conceived) and the amount of testosterone/oestrogen...that we get determines our sex. If you receive loads of testosterone you will develop male traits (physical/mental/emotional), if you receive more oestrogen and female hormones then you will develop female features. Men have nipples because by the time the male hormones kick in those particular features have already developed. The amount of different hormones received also alters the brain. If a male doesn't receive enough of the male hormones he will still have some female characteristics, and if a female receives slightly too many male ones she will have stronger male attributes - which may include sexual preference.
Umm.... ever heard of X and Y chromosomes?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
Umm.... ever heard of X and Y chromosomes?
what she is saying is that gender differentiation in the foetus doesn't occur until a few weeks after conception, i.e. a male foetus is indistinguishable from a female one in the beginning, and it is the hormones that cause the differentiation. eg with a flood of testosterone, the Y chromosome responds saying that it is male. or something like that (im not a biologist)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (47)
72.31%
Leave (18)
27.69%

Watched Threads