Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If someone tried to commit suicide for entirely rational reasons, and they weren't depressed or manic or insane or anything, purely rational after weighing up the pros and cons of their individual situation, if they then messed up and something went wrong would they get sent to a psychiatric hospital or simply let out to try again?

This is just to satisfy my curiousity, I am not going to commit suicide right now or anything

ReputationRep:
    Well if they weren't depressed or insane, why the hell would they commit suicide?

Suicide is not rational

ReputationRep:
    There is no provision in mental health law for rational suicide as none of us know what it is like to be dead so we cannot make a rational determination that being dead is better than being alive. If someone tries to commit suicide and fails and is assessed by three people as likely to attempt suicide again then they would likely be sectioned if they did not agree to being admitted to a psychiatric hospital.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, rationale suicide can exist. Even including "depression", you can still rationally choose suicide as there is no option of improvement of your situation, and because you simply have little joy for life. People in coddled first world or secord world nation would never be able to understand the inherent horrificness of living in a place like the Ivory Coast as someone with no money, family, or no hope. Suicide can indeed be rational.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on the context. "Assisted dying" is illegal in the UK, but legal in Switzerland. Assisted dying is as you describe - rational. Not about depression or insanity, it's about ending your life in a dignified way, rather than slowly wasting away while being pumped full of drugs and not having any independence at all.

For reasons unknown to me, the UK government doesn't allow people to do this, instead it prefers that they are kept alive as long as possible with little regard to the wishes of the person, or the morality of the situation.
    What's perhaps more annoying is that even helping someone onto the plane to get to switzerland so they can die is classed as murder in the UK!

Terry Pratchett wrote an excellent essay on the matter a couple of years back which convinced me that assisted dying should be legalised for those who meet certain requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Even someone who attempts suicide and is depressed/psychotic/whatever might not necessarily be admitted to a psychiatric ward, because there simply aren't enough beds available. I think what would happen to a person in the situation you're describing would depend on a variety of things, such as which doctor/hospital treated them, and whether the person admitted they would try and kill themselves again, or if they lied and said they wouldn't do it. So I doubt it's a clear cut case of if they do x then y will happen.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.