Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When Universities specify that they only look at top 8 GCSEs, they say this must include maths, English Language and either double science or triple science award. The thing is, I didn't quite do triple science. I did double science and Physics and Chemistry.

If they decide to look at at all my science GCSEs, they'll consider me as having 6A* and 2A. But if they decided not to count my separate science subjects, and count my double science instead, then I'll have 7A* and 1A, due to an A in Physics.

My question is this: will they consider my Physics and Chemistry, even though I don't have Biology GCSE and therefor don't have a 'complete' set of triple science GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    When Universities specify that they only look at top 8 GCSEs, they say this must include maths, English Language and either double science or triple science award. The thing is, I didn't quite do triple science. I did double science and Physics and Chemistry.

If they decide to look at at all my science GCSEs, they'll consider me as having 6A* and 2A. But if they decided not to count my separate science subjects, and count my double science instead, then I'll have 7A* and 1A, due to an A in Physics.

My question is this: will they consider my Physics and Chemistry, even though I don't have Biology GCSE and therefor don't have a 'complete' set of triple science GCSE?
    Ofcourse they will consider your physics and chem, triple science is not 'all or nothing' as such, they are all separate grades.

On another note, A lack of a biology GCSE for medicine could be seriously detrimental to your application. Why didnt you do bio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    Ofcourse they will consider your physics and chem, triple science is not 'all or nothing' as such, they are all separate grades.

On another note, A lack of a biology GCSE for medicine could be seriously detrimental to your application. Why didnt you do bio?
    Er, it's long and complicated. I did do double science, so I did enough biology

Surely it won't be detrimental if I do it for A level? Especially as a lot of Universities say that double science is acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    Er, it's long and complicated. I did do double science, so I did enough biology

Surely it won't be detrimental if I do it for A level? Especially as a lot of Universities say that double science is acceptable?
    Oh you did it as part of your double science, that is fine then, make sure you declare that because it seems slightly confusing.

Either way, good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    Oh you did it as part of your double science, that is fine then, make sure you declare that because it seems slightly confusing.

Either way, good luck!!
    haha thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    haha thanks
    So you saying you did:

GCSE Physics
    GCSE Chemistry
    Core Science
    Additional Science ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    So you saying you did:

GCSE Physics
    GCSE Chemistry
    Core Science
    Additional Science ?
    Yes. Got A in Physics, A* in the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    Yes. Got A in Physics, A* in the rest.
    I'd probably contact any unis your applying too to make sure they'll accept single physics and chemistry alongside the double award. I have a feeling they might not, but its best to contact them directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)

You really need to contact the Unis. Because in my GCSE years I was going to do the same thing by picking up Chem and Bio in addition to Core and additional but was advised against it.

Reason:
    when doing the seperate award alongside Core and additional Science you are effectively doing the same exams twice (C1a, C1b, C2 m/c, C2 s, P1a, P1b, P2 m/c, P2 s) So that means that you didn't really learn anything new on top of what you have intially learnt. So I think they will only count Core and Additional - that's what I have been told by my old teacher, so do make sure to contact the unis, because i am not a reliable source regarding this matter.

Good luck, and don't stress out!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.