Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question spotting for F585 Economics The Global Economy OCR A level June 2011 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xChelsea)
    In addition can you say that
    - free trade will esentially create economic growth but not nessecarily development as growth is only one aspect of development.

Problems:
    - Need a level playing field - e.g. E.U still imposed a restriction of health and safety laws to Bolivian Brazil nut producers meaning they couldn't export to the E.U.
    - Depends how wealth is distributed - Often kept in hands of few people.
    - LDC's often have corrupt governments with no interest in promoting development.
    - Trading blocs such as E.U often divert trade from low cost producers(LDC's) to less efficient ones within the trading bloc.

However, you could give an example of how Germany and particularly China have developed so well as they have huge export markets although China still have a relatively low GDP per head.

That is a really good point! haha, i didn't pick up on that at all! Even though we shouldve learnt that too... (my teacher for this section wasn't very good)
    Thanks! they were all awesome points. By the way, do you know why Germany and China in particular are doing o well? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    In nut shell
    negotiations-promote trade liberalisation-fell through
    Damn you get straight to the point haha

ReputationRep:
    yeah you're a meanie I think you should think more carefully about how you phrase things in future

I wasn't saying that you were wrong either. I was applauding you on displaying more counter arguments

see ^
    lol, okie, just sounded like you thought i was saying you were wrong or something! i genuinely love this thread though, it's like so much help! and everyone is being really helpful thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mqt)
    That is a really good point! haha, i didn't pick up on that at all! Even though we shouldve learnt that too... (my teacher for this section wasn't very good)
    Thanks! they were all awesome points. By the way, do you know why Germany and China in particular are doing o well? thanks
    Thanks haha.
    And mainly because of how price competitive they are and they're very efficient (low prices)

You could probably say many of the decisions made by the ECB benefit the likes of Germany and France which is why they're dominant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajayhp)
    surely for free trade to happen means that the EU has to give up their common external trade policy?
    Yep, you're right... But they are in a free trade AREA...lol... but yeah...it's stil distorting prices I guess having a common external tariff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tariq_3458)
    What the hells dependency theory :/ !
    Basically that developing countries are too reliant on developed nations, and their reliance on primary production.
    and their dependence on international financial institutions (IMF), World bank, WTO which are dominated by developed economies.

It claims that developed economies make it difficult for developing countries to sell their products to them on fair terms and the investment they make in developing countries and the aid they give does not promote economic development. In addition the high debt that developing countries owe to Western financial instituions is also seen as hindering their economic growth and development.

BASICALLY western imperialism hinders rather than helps...

ReputationRep:
    lol this thread was only about 10 pages this time yesterday

ReputationRep:
    i dont get it :s
    could u expand on it more plzz
    basically, its asking for the pros and cons
    e.g. Germany are a booming economy, but fiscal transfers in ECB regulation means that their tax revenue is paying for the debts of economies in recession...you think Germany appreciate that? I think not....how long before they get pissed off and bail?

that's the kind of thing they're after with this question

(Original post by xChelsea)
    Damn you get straight to the point haha
    The economic world is fast paced, waits for no one, gotta step on the gas and speed up or get out of the car baby :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i dont get it :s
    could u expand on it more plzz
    Is the Monetary Union sustainable in the long-term, just mention 'in theory' a monetary union is good because....

However.... as the extract shows this hasn't happened... its unsustainable and the recent Greece bailouts are a great example!

ReputationRep:
    basically, its asking for the pros and cons
    e.g. Germany are a booming economy, but fiscal transfers in ECB regulation means that their tax revenue is paying for the debts of economies in recession...you think Germany appreciate that? I think not....how long before they get pissed off and bail?

that's the kind of thing they're after with this question

The economic world is fast paced, waits for no one, gotta step on the gas and speed up or get out of the car baby :cool:
    Oh pros and cons.. yh i get that
    yh blud u get to the point liek that !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hits1)
    Basically that developing countries are too reliant on developed nations, and their reliance on primary production.
    and their dependence on international financial institutions (IMF), World bank, WTO which are dominated by developed economies.

It claims that developed economies make it difficult for developing countries to sell their products to them on fair terms and the investment they make in developing countries and the aid they give does not promote economic development. In addition the high debt that developing countries owe to Western financial instituions is also seen as hindering their economic growth and development.

BASICALLY western imperialism hinders rather than helps...
    get it
    sfe for that man !

ReputationRep:
    Oh pros and cons.. yh i get that
    yh blud u get to the point liek that !
    is that not how it should be though? or would you prefer me telling you about my daily activities before getting to the economics?

Good Luck for tomorrow....blud

ReputationRep:
    get it
    sfe for that man !
    all hood bro

ReputationRep:
    this thread is to gangsta for me.

ReputationRep:
    Effect of exchange rate on price competitiveness ...anyone??

ReputationRep:
    is that not how it should be though? or would you prefer me telling you about my daily activities before getting to the economics?

Good Luck for tomorrow....blud
    lol u too man

ReputationRep:
    I thought i knew but i got myself confused ...AGAIN! always have trouble with this,

but can someone explain to me why in the Euro Zone, the currency can't depreciate to correct it's balance of payments problems pls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toontoon1)
    For a 10 marker do i come to a conclusion?
    Yehhh a couple of sentances will do the job!

ReputationRep:
    Did ireland and Spain have negative real interest rates which led to housing booms, inflation was higher that interest rates so people could take out more loans etc.. some **** like that :s
    this then made them overheated/inflationary pressure ?
    Anyone understand me lol

ReputationRep:
    because majority of trade is with the rest of euro zone due to trade creation and diversion. You cannot depreciate the exchange rate because its fixed with other EU members, lowering exchangerate will have exact same effect on every other country in EU
    Maybe? to mqt

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.