The Student Room Group

Question spotting for F585 Economics The Global Economy OCR A level June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Oh yeah, i get it in terms of that. Thanks!
Reply 581
Original post by viksta1000
Can I just point out aswell guys...keep your eye on the news...BBC/SKY/Bloomberg...as you might pick out a few arguments for tomorrow with the Greece huhaa going on at the moment

Good Luck folks! :biggrin:

Good advice! But how are you so good at economics? Have you been puting in solid work all year round or is your teacher really good?
Original post by xChelsea

It's only fixed against other members of the eurozone but not against other currencies such as the dollar.

Its not fixed against other member states. You don't go and exchange euro for euro. That's like me saying the scottish pound is fixed against sterling pound.
Original post by jess-e-bee
how does a depreciation of a currency increase inflationary pressures?!
hoping exchange rates doesn't come up..but it probably will do!

it makes exports cheaper for foriegn consumers, and imports more expensive for domestic consumers. this leads to a surplus current account (trade balance) which is a factor of aggregate demand so creates demand pull. Also it makes imports more expensive so if its inelastic price of demand, consumption of import wont decrease but prices will rise

Also bring in J curve for evaluation
Original post by loki276
Its not fixed against other member states. You don't go and exchange euro for euro. That's like me saying the scottish pound is fixed against sterling pound.

lol, it is fixed, its just that purchasing power parity is different between countries. One euro is always worth one euro! lol european central bank when collecting euro's, wont go 'oh this euro is worth 2 euros because its from germancy' 'but this euro is worth half a euro because its from spain'
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 585
so what is the 20 marker prediction
Reply 586
any one know what
'period of fiscal austerity'
measn...?
Reply 587
Original post by loki276

You know what i mean!
It's effectively fixed because they can't devalue/revalue it due to sharing it with other members..
Original post by Elponchis_LOL

it makes exports cheaper for foriegn consumers, and imports more expensive for domestic consumers. this leads to a surplus current account (trade balance) which is a factor of aggregate demand so creates demand pull. Also it makes imports more expensive so if its inelastic price of demand, consumption of import wont decrease but prices will rise

Thanks!
Reply 589
Original post by Iram0105
any one know what
'period of fiscal austerity'
measn...?

Fiscal stimulus aimed at reducing the budget deficit i think :smile:

e.g. Increasing tax, reducing government spending.
Basically, similar to what our government is doing now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 590
Hello :smile:
Can someone explain what is the link between FDIs and trade liberalisation please?
And also, how lower Interest rates will affect FDIs, because until now I thought that the lower the IR the higher the FDIs as MNCs will see it as a rising consumption and therefore seize the opportunity? But, someone mentioned that higher interest rates would attract FDIs and I don't understand :/

Wouldn't it be just enough to say : It reduces prices of exports, therefore making exports more attractive, and imports are comparably more expensive. Consumption increases, and AD shifts out, leading to a price increase.

Do you have to include tht J curve thing, how do you manage to bring all these points together !damn !
lol, it is fixed, its just that purchasing power parity is different between countries. One euro is always worth one euro! lol european central bank when collecting euro's, wont go 'oh this euro is worth 2 euros because its from germancy' 'but this euro is worth half a euro because its from spain'

Again not fixed. Its the same currency. You can't say that you fixed you currency to your currency. There is no fixed exchange rate as there is no exchange rate between member states
Whats a Two Speed Euro Area ?
Original post by loki276
Again not fixed. Its the same currency. You can't say that you fixed you currency to your currency. There is no fixed exchange rate as there is no exchange rate between member states

hmm your right, just being pedantic i spose
it says currency are fixed between members of EU in tutor2u toolkit so i think you can use the word 'fixed'

You know what i mean!
It's effectively fixed because they can't devalue/revalue it due to sharing it with other members..

I do but the two are seperate things. One is the eurozone wheras fixed would be something like the erm. The two share some similar qualities but are massively different
Original post by bijesh12

Original post by bijesh12
Whats a Two Speed Euro Area ?

the variation between average growth rates achieved by countries inside the monetary union
Original post by nini27
Hello :smile:
Can someone explain what is the link between FDIs and trade liberalisation please?
And also, how lower Interest rates will affect FDIs, because until now I thought that the lower the IR the higher the FDIs as MNCs will see it as a rising consumption and therefore seize the opportunity? But, someone mentioned that higher interest rates would attract FDIs and I don't understand :/

I also would think that higher the interest rates, there would be hot money flows in the form of FDI's,due to the higher returns.

I think if a country recives FDI,from a developing country it may open up to trade from the receiving country.
hmm your right, just being pedantic i spose
it says currency are fixed between members of EU in tutor2u toolkit so i think you can use the word 'fixed'

Not being pedantic the two things have differences
Reply 599
Original post by loki276
I do but the two are seperate things. One is the eurozone wheras fixed would be something like the erm. The two share some similar qualities but are massively different

Yeah in reality it's floating against other currencies but in reality it might aswell be fixed for all the members in the eurozone as they can't influence it in order to make theirselves more competitive etc. Only the ECB can do this..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending