Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

another of those "please help!" threads watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm trying to find and develop my own style and it's really really hard! I'm not familiar at all with fashion blogs and don't really follow celebrities or tv soaps, so I'm finding it really hard to find someone who dresses the way I would like to dress, as a sort of source of inspiration - and that's where I thought someone might be able to help me out!! Pleeease?!

What I'm after is a sort of "pretty but practical", "comfortable but elegant" kind of style. I basically just wanna wear clothes out and not spend the whole day looking forward to getting home and changing into something else! Can anybody help me define that better?! I know that I want the main colours to be fairly toned down, ie black/navy/browns/khaki/white, but I do like throwing splashes of colour into the mix - like fuschia or turquoise or red. I like cargo pants and jeans, but find it hard to pair them with something more "soft", as it were. And same, I love skirts, but find it hard to pair them with something that doesn't leave me feeling overly girly... sigh.

Anybody got any advice or suggestions of people I should look to? Links would be REALLY appreciated!! Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophgen)
    So I'm trying to find and develop my own style and it's really really hard! I'm not familiar at all with fashion blogs and don't really follow celebrities or tv soaps, so I'm finding it really hard to find someone who dresses the way I would like to dress, as a sort of source of inspiration - and that's where I thought someone might be able to help me out!! Pleeease?!

What I'm after is a sort of "pretty but practical", "comfortable but elegant" kind of style. I basically just wanna wear clothes out and not spend the whole day looking forward to getting home and changing into something else! Can anybody help me define that better?! I know that I want the main colours to be fairly toned down, ie black/navy/browns/khaki/white, but I do like throwing splashes of colour into the mix - like fuschia or turquoise or red. I like cargo pants and jeans, but find it hard to pair them with something more "soft", as it were. And same, I love skirts, but find it hard to pair them with something that doesn't leave me feeling overly girly... sigh.

Anybody got any advice or suggestions of people I should look to? Links would be REALLY appreciated!! Thank you so much!
    Like... Posh spice?

ReputationRep:
    I said this before in another thread, but it's still the best advice I can offer because it's what I do sometimes;

Go sit on a bench in the middle of a shopping centre in a city somewhere (with a coffee or something if you feel uncomfortable) and just look at what other people are wearing and just take some mental notes about what you like and what looks good. Then you can go into some high street retailers and try and find the things you liked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    I said this before in another thread, but it's still the best advice I can offer because it's what I do sometimes;

Go sit on a bench in the middle of a shopping centre in a city somewhere (with a coffee or something if you feel uncomfortable) and just look at what other people are wearing and just take some mental notes about what you like and what looks good. Then you can go into some high street retailers and try and find the things you liked!
    thanks! that had never occured to me and is really good advice!!

anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathematicsKiller)
    Like... Posh spice?
    haha no my description is pretty hopeless description though isn't it... this is my problem!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    haha no my description is pretty hopeless description though isn't it... this is my problem!

If you like cargo pants, try pairing them with a pair of flat ballet pumps, a coloured or patterned cami vest and maybe a denim jacket?
    With a skirt you could always wear a plain t-shirt or top with it so that you dont feel too girly.

As someone else said, just look at what people are wearing to give you ideas. Its best to look at people who have a similar body shape to you.

Shop wise, I personally love republic... I have a similar style to what you have described (but maybe a bit more girly!!) and Republic do some great outfits and always have offers on as well!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.fashiontoast.com/

ReputationRep:

I actually really love that.

ReputationRep:

Well jeans are always a goer because they look quite cute and are really comfortable, maybe something like this:
    http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...goryId=208655&

You might not find that this is your style but I think this is cute on the right person. You'd probably pair the shirt with some high rise jeans like they have however, this will only work if you're reasonably flat chested (trust me, I'm a 32E and unfortunately these kind of things look a bit odd on me)
    http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/s...hirt_221991139

Just generally though, a plain cami top with a shirt over the top works well. Either leave the shirt undone or tie it under your boobs.

Patterned plimsoles are always good - more comfortable than pumps and sandals!!

To make a girly skirt slightly less girly just wear a lycra plain top, v neck with s/sleeves will probably look better with a short skirt than a vest top would because it kind of balances it more.

One more thing before I shut up...coloured tights...look amazing they're ridiculously expensive in the fashion shops full price but dorothy perkins and topshop (and probably other places) do them for £1 a pair in the sales

Wow I've rambled a lot! I hope that's some help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    I actually really love that.
    I'm so addicted to her blog! Most of her old stuff is really good I reccomend looking back abit to the more summery looks. She always manages to look so effortlessly cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unicornsoncrack)
    I'm so addicted to her blog! Most of her old stuff is really good I reccomend looking back abit to the more summery looks. She always manages to look so effortlessly cool

At the risk of sounding totally thick - Who is she?!! I have just looked at some of her blog and Im like :eek:

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of sounding totally thick - Who is she?!! I have just looked at some of her blog and Im like :eek:
    Don't be silly! She isn't really anyone! haha one of those 'famous for having a blog' people her name's Rumi Neely she models alot for Forever 21 and Japanese brands (she's part Japanese) but yeah, love her style!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly! She isn't really anyone! haha one of those 'famous for having a blog' people her name's Rumi Neely she models alot for Forever 21 and Japanese brands (she's part Japanese) but yeah, love her style!

Oh right I see!!! haha. She does have a gorgeous style. She is gorgeous herself though! I would probably look like a sack of potatoes in her outfits!

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the Zara website maybe, they do casual cool pretty well. You can have a look at the way they've put together their clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any eras in history you particularly like?

My style is based on 40's and 50's, so everything I wear is either vintage or repro.

Have a think about movies you like, and see if there are any influences that way.

I'd also agree with the coffee shop thing - people watching in certain places can be so educational. London is particularly smashing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right I see!!! haha. She does have a gorgeous style. She is gorgeous herself though! I would probably look like a sack of potatoes in her outfits!
    indeeeeeed. Haha, yeah same! you have to be like a stick insect to pull off most of what she wears!....lucky betch

ReputationRep:
    indeeeeeed. Haha, yeah same! you have to be like a stick insect to pull off most of what she wears!....lucky betch
    Yeah you really do!! Some things are not fair!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.