Turn on thread page Beta

Do you have to go to the top 20 universities to be a investment banker? watch

This thread is old, however, its evidently some use to prospective Investment Bankers.
    Please feel free to use this thread to discuss Economics based degrees and routes into Investment Banking, but don't direct them at me.

ReputationRep:
    Possible, but very hard.

ReputationRep:
    simply put....no

you need to go to to a target uni to be within a shout....

however if you have work exp, solid ECs and a solid degree (1st IMO), there is no reason you wouldn't have a chance....

but then there is also the issue of UCAS point filters....as many will not even look at you if you have less than about 300 point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    I want to do Economics at the Royal Holloway. Is it good enough?
    Sorry for going to the stereotype.
    Use the search function, but to answer your question, to work in an investment bank, no. But to work in the front office in a good investment bank you are looking top 5/10

(Original post by infernalcradle)
    simply put....no

you need to go to to a target uni to be within a shout....

however if you have work exp, solid ECs and a solid degree (1st IMO), there is no reason you wouldn't have a chance....

but then there is also the issue of UCAS point filters....as many will not even look at you if you have less than about 300 point...
    Could I be one with Edinburgh university at number 11, or St Andrews at 7? Or ideally does it need to be like top 5?

ReputationRep:
    Top 20 is a lot already

. If you're not top 6 your chances to get an interview fall rapidly. On the upside, there still are chances, so if you are not target, make sure you have very strong ECs, are very strong at doing the Numericals and in some extreme way distinguish yourself from the other candidates applying. If you are not target, you must have something much more flashy and ungeneric ( Finance club is generic btw) to get an interview, compared to a target uni.

ReputationRep:
    Would KCL qualify as one of the 'top 6'? I'm doing maths at KCL with the hope of becoming an investment banker after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Could I be one with Edinburgh university at number 11, or St Andrews at 7? Or ideally does it need to be like top 5?
    hmm....I'd forget the rankings....

but I do vaguely remember that St. Andrews MIGHT be one of the target unis....

wait for someone older and wiser to confirm this though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser12345)
    Would KCL qualify as one of the 'top 6'? I'm doing maths at KCL with the hope of becoming an investment banker after graduation.
    Top 6 are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial. (Target uni's for IB's, not uni's for Maths)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...78&postcount=1

ReputationRep:
    Guys, bear in mind people that get into the top 6, and want to go into IB, don't think you are guarenteed place! people who are truly motivated and show real flaire can also obtain FO jobs I know a person who got a BA economics degree at manchester - no contacts - straight to a FO trader role at goldman sachs then moved to jp morgan to head up thier prop desks, 7 years later and he was retired at the age of 28!

ReputationRep:
    More like top 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arianto)
    What's a target uni?
    Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    Guys, bear in mind people that get into the top 6, and want to go into IB, don't think you are guarenteed place! people who are truly motivated and show real flaire can also obtain FO jobs I know a person who got a BA economics degree at manchester - no contacts - straight to a FO trader role at goldman sachs then moved to jp morgan to head up thier prop desks, 7 years later and he was retired at the age of 28!
    That's pretty sweet.

If I could retire at 28 I'd spend my entire life doing degree after degree after degree.

History, Economics, Law, Biology, Medicine.

Sadly I'll be lucky to be on more than £30k at 28!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    More like top 5
    Top 6...oxbridge is TWO unis dont forget :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    That's pretty sweet.

If I could retire at 28 I'd spend my entire life doing degree after degree after degree.

History, Economics, Law, Biology, Medicine.

Sadly I'll be lucky to be on more than £30k at 28!
    If I retierd at 28 I dont think I would spend my life doing degrees! lol, I would rather just party and enjoy life...

Is there any good jobs out there for Economics, but not investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    Top 6...oxbridge is TWO unis dont forget :-)
    He wasn't replying to that guy...he was replying the OPs question

noob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    He wasn't replying to that guy...he was replying the OPs question

noob
    I am a noob.

ReputationRep:
    do you know this person? are you sure you aren't talking about the guy from "million dollar traders"? if you are, you would know that "story" hasn't actually been confirmed. if you aren't, you should realize that is the most obscene case of adverse selection ever. either way, your a muppet.

to the op, no but IB is more difficult than other divisions (such as trading) to get into if you don't come from a "good" uni.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2014
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.