Turn on thread page Beta

Do you have to go to the top 20 universities to be a investment banker? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Biosciences.
    Do you think studying JMC/Computing would be more beneficial than studying EEE if I want to work as a trader and eventually get into VC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    Out of interest, are prop shop's recruits just as dominated by the usual university graduates or is there a little more flexibility on what University you come from?

Cheers.
    I can only comment on the one I work at (it will vary at others). When it comes to university attended, the usual suspects crop up - but proportionally more importance is placed on speed maths and technical ability than merely just the university you have graduated from, which tends not to be the case at IBs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Do you think studying JMC/Computing would be more beneficial than studying EEE if I want to work as a trader and eventually get into VC?
    I don't know that much about VC - but I imagine any start-ups you can launch will help you out there far more than degree studied. If you want to be a trader, I guess it depends on what kind of product you want to trade, and whether you want to do so for an IB or a prop shop. Computing, and probably EEE would give you programming/development skills which prop's often place more importance on, especially in high-freq or algo trading. How far you go rests more on how quickly you learn and also how much interest/knowledge you demonstrate on what's going on in the markets.

ReputationRep:
    I can comment on the one I work at (it will vary at others). When it comes to university attended, the usual suspects crop up - but proportionally more importance is placed on speed maths and technical ability than merely just the university you have graduated from, which tends not to be the case at IBs.
    Cheers for the reply. I'm working on my Vedic maths at the moment and am trading my own account. Is there anything else I can do to enhance my application?

I'm studying Actuarial Science, so my maths is pretty good, but I'm studying at Kent Uni, which doesn't exactly have the wow factor.

Advice appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    PROP firm = trade your own cash

Bogus

might as well do it from the comfort of your own bedroom.

LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)

Bogus

LOL
    Wouldn't that be an arcade? I thought most prop shops give you money to trade and you get a cut of the profits?

Is this a false assumption?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know that much about VC - but I imagine any start-ups you can launch will help you out there far more than degree studied. If you want to be a trader, I guess it depends on what kind of product you want to trade, and whether you want to do so for an IB or a prop shop. Computing, and probably EEE would give you programming/development skills which prop's often place more importance on, especially in high-freq or algo trading. How far you go rests more on how quickly you learn and also how much interest/knowledge you demonstrate on what's going on in the markets.
    ok, thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)

Bogus

LOL
    Wrong. Trade your own cash = 'pay to play' (i.e. an arcade).

You don't seriously think the average person has marketlinks and all the software that a prop has. You would have to be very, very connected and prosperous to achieve the same speed of execution from your own room as from a prop. Plus the prop will cover the costs for all the certifications you will need to pass to trade over various exchanges.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the reply. I'm working on my Vedic maths at the moment and am trading my own account. Is there anything else I can do to enhance my application?

I'm studying Actuarial Science, so my maths is pretty good, but I'm stuyding at Kent Uni, which doesn't exactly have the wow factor.

Advice appreciated.
    If you have to - then upgrading to a more 'targeted' university for an MSc is a possibility, although you will have to throw alot of money at that if you cannot get a scholarship/bursary.

Ideally contact people/groups on LinkedIn, visit wallstreetoasis to get any advice from people in your situation who got into the industry.

ReputationRep:
    If you have to - then upgrading to a more 'targeted' university for an MSc is a possibility, although you will have to throw alot of money at that if you cannot get a scholarship/bursary.

Ideally contact people/groups on LinkedIn, visit wallstreetoasis to get any advice from people in your situation who got into the industry.
    Cheers for the advice. Masters isn't an option due to cost, I'm trying to build a contacts list and have a few bits and pieces lined up for the summer, although a few people I've spoken to seem to think going down the actuarial route is a good way to break into trading as a quant. Not sure though.

+rep.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice. Masters isn't an option due to cost, I'm trying to build a contacts list and have a few bits and pieces lined up for the summer, although a few people I've spoken to seem to think going down the actuarial route is a good way to break into trading as a quant. Not sure though.

+rep.
    This is 'officially' a slim possibility - but I guess those contacts are what you make of them. My view is that it is easier for you to transition into actuarial work later than it is into trading - in the UK there is often more 'ageism' involved when recruiting traders. I guess alot depends where your motivations lie. Ask yourself whether you would prefer being an actuary, or prefer being a trader, what kind of trader, and what your reasons are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)

Bogus

LOL
    Effofex works at one of Jane Street/Optiver/Tibra/SIG/DRW, not one of the Arcade type shops you're referring to. At the former five, you trade using the firm's capital, and base pay and bonuses can be substantially higher than anything you'll get as a BB trader.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that be an arcade? I thought most prop shops give you money to trade and you get a cut of the profits?

Is this a false assumption?

Arcade / Prop shop what's the diff?

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. Trade your own cash = 'pay to play' (i.e. an arcade).

You don't seriously think the average person has marketlinks and all the software that a prop has. You would have to be very, very connected and prosperous to achieve the same speed of execution from your own room as from a prop. Plus the prop will cover the costs for all the certifications you will need to pass to trade over various exchanges.
    Rubbish.

You can buy all this if you got the mollah.

including a seat at any major exchange.

Don't need no "prop shop" .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Effofex works at one of Jane Street/Optiver/Tibra/SIG/DRW, not one of the Arcade type shops you're referring to. At the former five, you trade using the firm's capital, and base pay and bonuses can be substantially higher than anything you'll get as a BB trader.

Oh yeah right that's " use firm's capital" unless you lose of course and that would be all on your head.

case you do not know, real prop trading uses firms capital win or lose.

End of day all prop trading is crap.

CTA is the real deal.

Listen kid, I have an official statement from IFX stating I am in the top 20% of winning trader/clients.

I know what I am on about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    Rubbish.

You can buy all this if you got the mollah.

including a seat at any major exchange.

Don't need no "prop shop" .
    So you can buy all the infrastructure these firms have developed to trade in FX/equity/index options etc.? You think they're really going to give that to you? Surely you are aware that those things are strictly proprietary.

ReputationRep:
    So you can buy all the infrastructure these firms have developed to trade in FX/equity/index options etc.? You think they're really going to give that to you? Surely you are aware that those things are strictly proprietary.
    He's trolling you brah. Ignore him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    I want to do Economics at the Royal Holloway. Is it good enough?
    Sorry for going to the stereotype.
    I doubt it's necessary for every company (though I have seen some want only people with Russell Group degrees), but I can't see it hurting your chances if you do go to one!

ReputationRep:

I can tell you're a net net loser.

Only amateurs go for these new fandangled systems that cost an arm and a leg.

nobody needs that unless you are CRT or something.

Essentially outright trading is a simple process, all these trappings are there to pull in the suckers to spend more money.

ReputationRep:
    Some f'g jokers don't know how t trade - losing money all round , spend their time here.

When someone exposes their fraud - they lash out with the " troll " label.

MF'g coward

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.