Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shar_lavanya)
    i have had that review from certain number of people, but people in this thread and many others have often mentioned imperial as a target uni. and higher up the preference order than cass. also, i have come across terrible tales about cass teachers' being late to classes and other irregularities. so doesnt that give imperial msc management programm a slight edge over CASS's as imperial ( as mentioned by other posters) is a target uni. and cass isn't. any advice is welcome
    Well to be honest imperial is a target uni for undergraduate programmes... but for Msc its a completely different story, from what I hear City is amazing for business related courses, on top of that, they have amazing links with the large firms in the city...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epc)
    Lets be honest here, the people who went to St Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh, did not get into LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick and Oxbridge. As for the ethnic aspect of your post, have you ever been to a trading floor?
    Yes I have.

St Andrews, Durham & Edinburgh people probably didn't get into Oxbridge. As for LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick etc, the only course this is applicable to is, arguably, Economics. For other subjects, including maths and physics, the answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TruthTeller)
    So have I....

Just look at Sramek's friends list on facebook. Just look at the LSE, UCL, Warwick Econ groups or the GS, JPM, Citi intern classes on facebook. The ethnic bias is extra-ordinary.

There is a definite shift over time going on here. The new intake into FO BB are unquestionaly over-represented from certain ethnic groups.

NB - there are no normative judgements going on here, just empirical observations.
    whos Sramek???????????????????????
    Plus i realise the over-represented groups, you can see it in the lse problem all the Indian parents bring there children to the UK so that there children can be investment bankers :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    whos Sramek???????????????????????
    Plus i realise the over-represented groups, you can see it in the lse problem all the Indian parents bring there children to the UK so that there children can be investment bankers :/
    Jan Sramek (who, unsurprisinly, is non-English - Czech I believe)

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jansramek

ReputationRep:
    Jan Sramek (who, unsurprisinly, is non-English - Czech I believe)

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jansramek
    Name sounds Inidan :/
    And how did he get soooooooooooo many many interns :confused:
    how old is this guy?
    this guy is off the charts

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have.

St Andrews, Durham & Edinburgh people probably didn't get into Oxbridge. As for LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick etc, the only course this is applicable to is, arguably, Economics. For other subjects, including maths and physics, the answer is no.
    People who do Maths or Physics at St Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh turned down offers from ICL?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epc)
    People who do Maths or Physics at St Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh turned down offers from ICL?:rolleyes:
    Yes. For under-graduate level physics and maths, ICL has (very marginally) lower entry-standards than Durham for both physics (555) and maths (550).

Imperial's power in producing brilliant research at a post-graduate level is undisputed. The same is not true in terms of its under-graduate intake or course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallOnDeathsEars)
    Manchester
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Imperial
    UCL
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Durham
    Bath
    Warwick
    Birmingham
    Shefield
    Edinburgh
    KCL

I got this list from a secret source at a bulge bracket bank, these are their target universities:rolleyes: The main point I got from this person was a good degree from Oxford, Cambridge and LSE will almost certainly get you an interview if you meet the other requirements. However, if you go to any of the others you have to show you have a real interest in the area and have the right attributes. Now, once you get to the interview stage you are on your own; even if you've graduated from Oxford with a first in Mathematics you will not get the job if the interviewer doesn't 'click' with you.

So, if you don't go to the three mentioned you have to try even harder to make yourself stand out, if you don't go to the top 15 mentioned then damn you have to be a real gem. These are the top Universities in the UK, so it is likely they will have the best graduates. They also said that rankings are absolutely useless, employers know what the top universities are for their sector, regardless of what others think. They said do well in your subject, do research on the bank and the industry and most importantly be yourself at the interview, when doing graduate interviews it is easy to tell who is being themselves and who is being fake. I hope this helps some, it has helped me.
    This list looks like its from the mythical pre-crisis days, banks are even more selective now. I read an article about hedge funds employing only from the inner circle of the Top 6 [Oxbridge + Imperial (not even LSE!)]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    So from your point of view, a graduate from lets say University of Essex can land an internship?

Even with solid work experience and ECs, I somehow find it difficult to believe.
    lol the university of essex, I dont think anyone from my course (final year econs) managed to secure an intern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Official.One)
    This list looks like its from the mythical pre-crisis days, banks are even more selective now. I read an article about hedge funds employing only from the inner circle of the Top 6 [Oxbridge + Imperial (not even LSE!)]
    I read the same article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Official.One)
    link?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. All of them.

Simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    link?
    I happen to think this is all a bit silly, but there was an article in the FT.

Banks that previously actively hired from most of the Russell Group of 20 institutions have narrowed their search this year to as little as one, university officials say. Banks do not have to cast their net so widely because they have smaller recruitment targets, though the number of would-be bankers remains high.......

.....Places to be
    ? Inner circle (where most banks are searching for recruits)
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Imperial College London
    ? Outer circle (where some banks are recruiting)
    London School of Economics
    University College London
    Warwick University

The inner part of the circle – where they say most banks are searching – consists of Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial College London. The outer part – where some are recruiting and some not – is the London School of Economics, University College London and Warwick University....

Shouldn't be too hard to find the article from that on the website.

ReputationRep:
    There is a definite shift over time going on here. The new intake into FO BB are unquestionaly over-represented from certain ethnic groups.
    overrepresented in what relation? Seeing IB is a bit of a global busienss, wouldn't you expect europeans and blacks to be represented in equal numbers and 4 times as many asians as europeans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    overrepresented in what relation? Seeing IB is a bit of a global busienss, wouldn't you expect europeans and blacks to be represented in equal numbers and 4 times as many asians as europeans?
    Compare the London grad intake for FO positions at BBs to the grad intake for trainees at magic circle law firms in London. Both are highly international and well-paid positions. For sure, there's a decent % of non stereotypically white/British people in the magic circle cohort, but far, far less than at the BBs. The answer is obvious - there's a cultural tendancy for certain groups towards IB than law, which is perceived as a more traditional English profession. For an even more skewed picture, look at the grad intake for the corporate bar or the civil service fast stream - its all white and middle class.

Secondly, sure, IBs a global business, but in the UK the recuitment focuses on (a select bunch of) UK universities. The question is - why do all the clever non-white people at these universities go into IB, when they could choose the bar, corporate law or the civil service, to give just a few examples? The answer is that among certain UK cultural groups, IB is viewed as a desirable and prestigious career. This isn't necessairly the case for a number of equally clever white British people.

This, IMO, explains to some degree why Warwick, UCL and LSE are strong universities for IB - they have a high % of clever non stereotypically British people with aspirations towards this career. This also exaplains why Oxbridge doesn't dominate (as it does in the Bar/corporate law), and why other very white universities such as St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and Bristol don't get as many people into IB.

In general, people on this thread are focusing too much on the university brand name, and far too little on the aspirations of individuals at certain universities. Correlation =\=Causation.

ReputationRep:
    Compare the London grad intake for FO positions at BBs to the grad intake for trainees at magic circle law firms in London. Both are highly international and well-paid positions. For sure, there's a decent % of non stereotypically white/British people in the magic circle cohort, but far, far less than at the BBs. The answer is obvious - there's a cultural tendancy for certain groups towards IB than law, which is perceived as a more traditional English profession. For an even more skewed picture, look at the grad intake for the corporate bar or the civil service fast stream - its all white and middle class.
    The Civil Service only do internships for non-whites - that's how bad a reputation they have for employing only white people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100)
    The Civil Service only do internships for non-whites - that's how bad a reputation they have for employing only white people!
    This supports my point. Its not that the civil service don't want to employ non-white people, its simply that not enough apply/show interest, hence the positive discrimination for internships. Same with the bar - huge diversity scheme to get more non traditional people to apply.

ReputationRep:
    This supports my point. Its not that the civil service don't want to employ non-white people, its simply that not enough apply/show interest, hence the positive discrimination for internships. Same with the bar - huge diversity scheme to get more non traditional people to apply.
    FYI - here are the stats for successful fast stream recruitment 2010 (out 32,000 applicants)

Oxford: 55
    Cambridge: 49
    Durham: 30
    Nottingham: 17
    Warwick: 17
    UCL: 16
    LSE: 16
    Edinburgh: 14
    Birmingham: 13
    Bristol: 12
    KCL: 3

Source: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/site...tream-2010.pdf

Things to ponder people:

95% of Oxbridge candidates unsuccessful

Why does Durham success almost = LSE + UCL? Answer - because the more international UCL and LSE have fewer applicants and interest in the fast stream than than very middle class Durham.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    FYI - here are the stats for successful fast stream recruitment 2010 (out 32,000 applicants)

Oxford: 55
    Cambridge: 49
    Durham: 30
    Nottingham: 17
    Warwick: 17
    UCL: 16
    LSE: 16
    Edinburgh: 14
    Birmingham: 13
    Bristol: 12
    KCL: 3

Source: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/site...tream-2010.pdf

Things to ponder people:

95% of Oxbridge candidates unsuccessful

Why does Durham success almost = LSE + UCL? Answer - because the more international UCL and LSE have fewer applicants and interest in the fast stream than than very middle class Durham.

Regards.
    The funny thing is that the Fast Stream is awful for the first few years. You get paid bugger all and don't do anything worthwhile. It's better to go in at a higher level!

ReputationRep:

Secondly, sure, IBs a global business, but in the UK the recuitment focuses on (a select bunch of) UK universities. The question is - why do all the clever non-white people at these universities go into IB, when they could choose the bar, corporate law or the civil service, to give just a few examples? The answer is that among certain UK cultural groups, IB is viewed as a desirable and prestigious career. This isn't necessairly the case for a number of equally clever white British people.

This, IMO, explains to some degree why Warwick, UCL and LSE are strong universities for IB - they have a high % of clever non stereotypically British people with aspirations towards this career. This also exaplains why Oxbridge doesn't dominate (as it does in the Bar/corporate law), and why other very white universities such as St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and Bristol don't get as many people into IB.

In general, people on this thread are focusing too much on the university brand name, and far too little on the aspirations of individuals at certain universities. Correlation =\=Causation.
    Lawfirm's offices in London don't do law abroad, they got regional offices for that. IB doesn't work like that. So your comparison doesn't hold.

A lot of the non-white people you will find at those univeristies are non-britsh. Very few foreigners care about doing law in the UK and most probably aren't even allowed to work for the UK civil service. They do however care about doing IB in the UK, as it is not bound by national boarders.
    I'm sure if you only looked at people with british citizenship at IBs, the % of non-whites will sink drastically. During my last internship i can recall only 2 british guys who weren't white.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.