Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    hmmm I don't think so, As someone posted above you are doing your AS Levels and then you go on to talk about your interests in "computer gaming".
    My interests have nothing to do with my career path ? :s Not being funny but i've signed the contract and been to the Finsbury Offices for my interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    You are funny.
    Ah the joys of the IB + Consultancy forum. I also was at the PwC AC aswell, but guess i made that up too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakeh)
    Ah the joys of the IB + Consultancy forum. I also was at the PwC AC aswell, but guess i made that up too?
    Leave em, jealousy is a beautiful thing..... well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    Thanks bro! :-) I was extremely lucky to get here though, took a lot of failed applications and work to finally get accepted somewhere. Was sure I had no internship after PwC rejected me (didnt have enough knowledge on their Valuations department, and didnt lead the group assignment) but i got there!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logain2006)
    In one word: yes. Edinburgh >>> Exeter.
    So why is Exeter not in the second category of target universities? it is up with alot of the others in the league tables and entry requirements! Perhaps this will change by 3 years time when I hopefully graduate!Do you think a gap year working for Barclays Wealth will look just as good as a top uni place when I apply for IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    I am not jealous.

ReputationRep:
    how about Msc in Banking at Reading? is it enough for a job at IB?

ReputationRep:
    don't

ReputationRep:
    rather pathetic of being negged for something that was posted weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    rather pathetic of being negged for something that was posted weeks ago.

That's how I feel when someone negs me on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Imperial in October to do Maths, does this stand me in good stead to get into IB? Also, do your reckon it's worth doing the 4 year instead of just the 3 year degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)

That's how I feel when someone negs me on TSR.
    im the one who pos repped you :p:

I just think its a bit lame when the post is really old. If it was something recent then I am not that bothered.

ReputationRep:
    If want to be an investment banker you need to go to one of the 6 target unis: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, and Lancaster.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...gue-table-2012

ReputationRep:
    If want to be an investment banker you need to go to one of the 6 target unis: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, and Lancaster.

Oh come on now.

ReputationRep:

Not going to get into an argument about this since it has been done over and over again... but this is not explicitly true. There are genuinely other paths into IB, and yes I am also referring to FO BB IB roles.

btw on second reading I assume you are joking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
    To get the 'dream' job that all investment bankers are after, your choices are-

Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Imperial college

If you don't get into any of the above, you will most likely just end up in a mediocre position, regretting being an investment banker.
    Are we assuming that grads from the aforementioned unis have relevant degrees? (e.g. maths, economics, etc)? Or is it just about the name? What can you say about a PPE, history, or Law graduate? does the same apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100)
    I think that's a real misconception. Certainly, LSE and Oxbridge boost an application. However, if you've missed UCL (and, to an extent, Warwick). You've also got to look at places like ESADE, SMU, SSE along with places like Bocconi. There are also some top US schools that have good representation in London.
    Thats complete rubbish. The investment banks look for far more than which university you went to, certainly they want people that are smart but that only gives part of the picture. I know people who went to Oxbridge and no way could they put up with the stress of investment banking. In any case look at people such as Nichola Pease: Exeter, Michael Sherwood, CEO of Goldman Sachs in the UK: Manchester, you get the picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by der.verrueckte)
    Are we assuming that grads from the aforementioned unis have relevant degrees? (e.g. maths, economics, etc)? Or is it just about the name? What can you say about a PPE, history, or Law graduate? does the same apply?
    Actually it's:

Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Lancaster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quark123)
    Thats complete rubbish. The investment banks look for far more than which university you went to, certainly they want people that are smart but that only gives part of the picture. I know people who went to Oxbridge and no way could they put up with the stress of investment banking. In any case look at people such as Nichola Pease: Exeter, Michael Sherwood, CEO of Goldman Sachs in the UK: Manchester, you get the picture.
    Not at all.

Also, times have changed significantly. People can always come up with exceptions but the general rule is the first thing that will be looked at is your University and 9 times out of 10 if you don't tick a box there you're application will be rejected unless you're outstanding elsewhere.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.