Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    That's pretty sweet.

If I could retire at 28 I'd spend my entire life doing degree after degree after degree.

History, Economics, Law, Biology, Medicine.

Sadly I'll be lucky to be on more than £30k at 28!
    Pfftt. 30k? Try 20!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    If want to be an investment banker you need to go to one of the 6 target unis: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, and Lancaster.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...gue-table-2012
    C'mon now buddy, St. Andrews parrrs all of those aforementioned uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by der.verrueckte)
    Are we assuming that grads from the aforementioned unis have relevant degrees? (e.g. maths, economics, etc)? Or is it just about the name? What can you say about a PPE, history, or Law graduate? does the same apply?
    When I went to a UCL careers fair last year there was an investment banker who'd done linguistics so stranger things have happened...

ReputationRep:
    Most of the comments in this thread have come from narrow minded A level kids who have no real experience of the job market. University really isn't as important as its made out to be (when I was 18 I believed the same elitist garbage). Few examples:

Friend A -Failed first year at Nottingham in 'Economics & Politics', transfered to Birmingham to study 'Politics'. Now studying at Henley Business School with an offer from GS (admittedly not IB-real estate finance I think). Also he did have previous internships with GS.

Friend B-Studied Engineering at Bristol. Initially on MEng course but only achieved a 2.2 in his second year so was dropped down to the BEng. Blessing in disguise. After graduating (2.1) he applied to Credit Suisse (IBD) this year. Will be flying out to live in Zurich for at least 2 years. Had no previous internships of any kind.

Friend C-Studied Economics at Birmingham. Achieved a 2.2. Lucky enough to get on to the Msc Economics course there. Gained a distinction. Immediately studied a second masters in finance at Manchester achieving similar results. Now works at Deutsche Bank.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of investment bankers haven't gone to iniversity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinatchernych)
    Pfftt. 30k? Try 20!!
    ...and you know how much money I'll be on how, love? 20k is nowt, a pittance.

Bog-standard starting wage for plenty of graduate jobs, not to mention I want to go into teaching so after three or four years I'd be on 24, 26k maybe.

Stupid bint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daui)
    Most of the comments in this thread have come from narrow minded A level kids who have no real experience of the job market. University really isn't as important as its made out to be (when I was 18 I believed the same elitist garbage). Few examples:

Friend A -Failed first year at Nottingham in 'Economics & Politics', transfered to Birmingham to study 'Politics'. Now studying at Henley Business School with an offer from GS (admittedly not IB-real estate finance I think). Also he did have previous internships with GS.

Friend B-Studied Engineering at Bristol. Initially on MEng course but only achieved a 2.2 in his second year so was dropped down to the BEng. Blessing in disguise. After graduating (2.1) he applied to Credit Suisse (IBD) this year. Will be flying out to live in Zurich for at least 2 years. Had no previous internships of any kind.

Friend C-Studied Economics at Birmingham. Achieved a 2.2. Lucky enough to get on to the Msc Economics course there. Gained a distinction. Immediately studied a second masters in finance at Manchester achieving similar results. Now works at Deutsche Bank.
    No one is saying you have no choice, but you have a better choice going to a target. Plus two of your examples include further education and one went to Bristol, which isn't too far from being a "target".

The fact is, you'd have to be exceptional if you didn't go to a target to get in, but not if you went to a target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Actually it's:

Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Lancaster
    I'm sorry but were the hell did you get Lancaster from?

Yes its great at student satisfactions but would u go as far to say that they would pick math graduate over Warwick one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    ...and you know how much money I'll be on how, love? 20k is nowt, a pittance.

Bog-standard starting wage for plenty of graduate jobs, not to mention I want to go into teaching so after three or four years I'd be on 24, 26k maybe.

Stupid bint.
    A teacher?! (lol) I sort of expected 'a banker, a solicitor...'

That's the most ridiculous jobs and you expect to be paid 30K+

You’re a joke mate. Go kill yourself. It's really not worth to go on with life, if being a teacher is all you'll achieve.

.....or you could try climbing back in your mother's smelly c*nt and stay there until you get more life inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    The choice is yours.

ReputationRep:
    Pfftt. 30k? Try 20!!
    And where are your statics to boast such a claim?

The average salary of graduates this year is £24,000 :confused: so I'm kinda of confused why you say that?

What makes you so smart, if your pulling facts out of your ass!

Starting salaries at the UK’s leading graduate employers in 2011 are expected to
    remain unchanged from 2010 levels – a median of £29,000. Salaries increased by
    7.4% in 2010 and 5.9% in 2009

Public sector employers (average of £22,200), retailers (average of £24,000) and engineering
    & industrial companies (average of £24,500) have the lowest graduate pay rates for 2011

i think it is fair to say that he is being realistic compare to you

:rolleyes:
    references
    http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)

The average salary of graduates this year is £24,000 :confused: so I'm kinda of confused why you say that?

1. There are no jobs for graduates
    2. The jobs that average amount is between £15,000-£17,000

ReputationRep:

Starting salaries at the UK’s leading graduate employers in 2011 are expected to

And how many leading graduates are there compared to 'average' graduates? I think the ratio is like 500:100000

ReputationRep:
    1. There are no jobs for graduates
    2. The jobs that average amount is between £15,000-£17,000
    BASED ON WHAT!

As i understand 20% of graduates are unemployed fair enough, but this are not counted, when working at average salaries, where are your facts!!! i don't give a toss about your opinion!

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf

Have a read you may learn something!

ReputationRep:
    A teacher?! (lol) I sort of expected 'a banker, a solicitor...'

That's the most ridiculous jobs and you expect to be paid 30K+

You’re a joke mate. Go kill yourself. It's really not worth to go on with life, if being a teacher is all you'll achieve.

.....or you could try climbing back in your mother's smelly c*nt and stay there until you get more life inspiration.
    Aye, reetio pet :rolleyes:

Boring trolls are boring.

ReputationRep:
    I study rocket science at Harvard. Does that count?

ReputationRep:

And how many leading graduates are there compared to 'average' graduates? I think the ratio is like 500:100000
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006...on?INTCMP=SRCH

You are living 5 years ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8504999.stm

:rolleyes:

Average graduate salaries in the UK will remain frozen at £25,000 for the second year running

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    C'mon now buddy, St. Andrews parrrs all of those aforementioned uni's.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Why would you diss teachers? They are one of the fundamental building blocks of the progressment of human society. I have much respect for good teachers. They pass on knowledge and inspire the quest for knowledge. You really are a ****ed up person.
    Did you respond to my friend request yet?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is a massive pile of bull ****.

Here is a pic of what I mean:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2014
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.