Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know a couple folks who never even went to college who work in IB.

This site is full of mis-informed people who don't have any hands on experience about the business, except most likely read blog online, on forums... lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    Actually I'd better correct that:

Gimme 1 GOOD reason why KCL and Manchester should be there
    Because IBs employ people from both universities?

ReputationRep:
    I think that the best argument for IB being dominated by people from the top few universities is that those who were motivated at school and worked are most likely to be motivated at an IB and work the huge hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayItAintSoJoe)
    Because IBs employ people from both universities?
    That's a bogus reason not a good reason .

I know people who were from Kingston University @ some so call top IBs, does not make it a good reason for KU to be a target Uni.

fact is MU and KCL are not.

you fans have to prove to the IBs , not me that it is.

END OF STORY.

ReputationRep:
    The hours are long and the work is not very rewarding unless you think being a salesman / woman is a great achievement.

Also true that there are absolute bums in IB.

Depends on who you are, what you are willing to do to go in , your timing and venue.

In Singapore back in the 90's when I joined up, GS and Barclays had senior people - HOD level who barely had the A levels needed to go Uni.

Then there were the CIO fund managers and so called traders @ UBS/ Nomura and Sgen who went to place like Essex.

Yes you really could blag it big time in SG in those days.

But sadly for you lot, they've plugged up that gap now.

So back to the 100 to 1 chance application process for you guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    That's a bogus reason not a good reason .

I know people who were from Kingston University @ some so call top IBs, does not make it a good reason for KU to be a target Uni.

fact is MU and KCL are not.

you fans have to prove to the IBs , not me that it is.

END OF STORY.
    A friend of mine goes to KCL (doing Maths) and he keeps going on about how IBs come along to careers fairs and such almost every week. Not really sure if that counts for anything tbh but just putting it out there.

ReputationRep:
    I think being at a Top 20 uni especially at Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial gives you a big advantage at going into IB next is probably uni's like KCL, Durham, St Andrews etc

Don't forget you also have numerical/ verbal online test too which given the statistics students at those university would do better with dozens of others doing well at other top unis - but it is the students at Top 10 unis IB's recruit/ target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    The hours are long and the work is not very rewarding unless you think being a salesman / woman is a great achievement.

Also true that there are absolute bums in IB.

Depends on who you are, what you are willing to do to go in , your timing and venue.

In Singapore back in the 90's when I joined up, GS and Barclays had senior people - HOD level who barely had the A levels needed to go Uni.

Then there were the CIO fund managers and so called traders @ UBS/ Nomura and Sgen who went to place like Essex.

Yes you really could blag it big time in SG in those days.

But sadly for you lot, they've plugged up that gap now.

So back to the 100 to 1 chance application process for you guys

What bank did you used to work at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hackett)
    What bank did you used to work at?
    Bcap

and NO I don not endorse Ib I think they know nuts about finance.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine goes to KCL (doing Maths) and he keeps going on about how IBs come along to careers fairs and such almost every week. Not really sure if that counts for anything tbh but just putting it out there.
    So if a friend says he's seen the Xmas ghost then that must be ?

I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    So if a friend says he's seen the Xmas ghost then that must be ?

I don't think so.
    well, if my friend's seen IBs at Careers Fair at KCL, so have hundreds of other students...I don't know why he'd lie anyway, he's not very keen on the whole IB side of things (more of a complaint than anything from him)

ReputationRep:
    Guys, the mathsy degree at a target uni+ IB trader job is NOT the only way to make a fark load of money!

Investment banks are saturated with smart people, prop desks are shutting down too: http://investment-mall.net/Finance_a...ive-delta-one/

Learn how to trade NOW and show records/account statements (even just a small amount) to an individual prop firm;these guys are much less into academics and more into backing profitability. If you can make money trading it's a far better lifestyle, (IMO) less job security but more freedom depending on your trading style- you can literally just book a month off to go to japan or whatever, and actually have a life outside the 90 hour IB work week.

To the OP: Yeh pretty much

ReputationRep:
    well, if my friend's seen IBs at Careers Fair at KCL, so have hundreds of other students...I don't know why he'd lie anyway, he's not very keen on the whole IB side of things (more of a complaint than anything from him)
    IB @ a career fair don't mean there are FO jobs. They are known to recruit for BO stuff at the 2nd and 3rd tier places.

NO point arguing with me, the recruiter herself said top 10 only and that means no KCL.

Are you a KCLer incognito ???

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw in case you all don't know IB do not have real prop trading.

Yes and before anyone gets upset, understand what the term prop trading really means in its PURE ORIGINAL FORM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    IB @ a career fair don't mean there are FO jobs. They are known to recruit for BO stuff at the 2nd and 3rd tier places.

NO point arguing with me, the recruiter herself said top 10 only and that means no KCL.

Are you a KCLer incognito ???
    I have no idea about tiers or whatever so maybe you're right, idk.

And no, I don't go to KCL. Or maybe I do in my sleep. Who knows...

ReputationRep:
    who cares

ReputationRep:
    You have to go to one of the top 5 if you want the 'dream' investment banking job that we are all after.

ReputationRep:
    You're all after.

I've done it albeit not in UK

ReputationRep:
    guaranteed you dont, if your a quality candidate that has potential they will see it and employ you, regardless. People on here say its harder (much harder) for two reasons

1) it only appears to be top 6 uni candidates getting the jobs because on average they have a much bigger spread of quality students statistically so obviously more of them will get the jobs
    2) it makes the people feel better on here who don't get good jobs - they have an excuse

i now await the neg reps from people with red gems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violenti)
    The list is correct! But like most league rables need to be read intelligently and not slavishly! I am however alarmed no Manchester or KCL, that cannot on any construction be correct!?
    oh please, durham? i wouldn't let my maids' kids go there

h3h3h3

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.