Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm trying to figure out if i really want to do Physiotherapy in Uni or not and i need some help/advice, please.

Ok, where do you think the best Unis are? Not just the ones that have a good academic record but also good social life and stuff like that.

If you've taken it (or are still taking it), what did you think about it? What did you do and learn

How much is the work load? Is it all lectures or do you get practical/hands-on experience? If so, what did you do?

How much did you spend on living expenses? I'm planning on living on campus for the first year because i just want to experience life on my own for a while.

If you've finished the course (or not), what type of physiotherapist are you (or want to be)? I want to be a paediatric physiotherapist

I know they're a lot of questions but it'll really be a huge help

ReputationRep:
    Try to get yourself some work experience. It's hard I know, but it will help you to see the job and then decide for yourself if you want to study physio or not. As a mature student, I don't know much about the nightlife at my uni, I have to work around the course to pay my way, so don't get out much. What I would say though is that your choice largely boils down to whether you want a city or non city campus. I went to Keele the first time around (which does physio), and it was awesome. Where I am at now in London, from what I've seen, most people head off into town as opposed to going to the union, so there isn't that same sense of community. Having now experienced both, I would choose the non city campus anytime. However, some like the flashing lights of the city, so anywhere like London, Cardiff, Birmingham etc would satiate that.

I enjoy my course, but it's very hard work. People say this to you before you start, and you think, ah they are being dramatic, but really, it is. What did I learn? Well, physiotherapy. The workload is big, but I have managed to do paid work 20 hours a week ontop of the course for the first and second years, so if you didn't have to work to pay your way then you would definitely have time for a social life and to do other things. Even I manage to have the odd beer here and there. The work is a mix of lectures and practical stuff - probably about 50/50 in the first year, and then more biased towards practical in the second and third year as you are out on placements dealing with real patients. To try and tell you what I did in all the lectures and placements I have been on, I'd be writing all day, but there are three main areas (Respiratory, Musculoskeletal and Neuro), and you do relevant modules and work within each of these.

Living expenses is going to differ wildly between universities. I am based in London and also have other financial commitments (such as a car) to look after, so it's going to be impossible to give you a figure. The halls of residence at my uni charge 400 quid a month (or thereabouts) for a room. How much you need to spend on top of that in food/beer money and other expenses is down to you. As a teenager (I'm guessing) going to uni for the first time, I would thoroughly recommend the halls experience.

I've not finished the course yet, but tentatively want to work in musculoskeletal. I'm certainly not against working in the other areas though should I get a band 5 rotational job. Lord only knows what sort of state NHS jobs will be in next year though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    Try to get yourself some work experience. It's hard I know, but it will help you to see the job and then decide for yourself if you want to study physio or not. As a mature student, I don't know much about the nightlife at my uni, I have to work around the course to pay my way, so don't get out much. What I would say though is that your choice largely boils down to whether you want a city or non city campus. I went to Keele the first time around (which does physio), and it was awesome. Where I am at now in London, from what I've seen, most people head off into town as opposed to going to the union, so there isn't that same sense of community. Having now experienced both, I would choose the non city campus anytime. However, some like the flashing lights of the city, so anywhere like London, Cardiff, Birmingham etc would satiate that.

I enjoy my course, but it's very hard work. People say this to you before you start, and you think, ah they are being dramatic, but really, it is. What did I learn? Well, physiotherapy. The workload is big, but I have managed to do paid work 20 hours a week ontop of the course for the first and second years, so if you didn't have to work to pay your way then you would definitely have time for a social life and to do other things. Even I manage to have the odd beer here and there. The work is a mix of lectures and practical stuff - probably about 50/50 in the first year, and then more biased towards practical in the second and third year as you are out on placements dealing with real patients. To try and tell you what I did in all the lectures and placements I have been on, I'd be writing all day, but there are three main areas (Respiratory, Musculoskeletal and Neuro), and you do relevant modules and work within each of these.

Living expenses is going to differ wildly between universities. I am based in London and also have other financial commitments (such as a car) to look after, so it's going to be impossible to give you a figure. The halls of residence at my uni charge 400 quid a month (or thereabouts) for a room. How much you need to spend on top of that in food/beer money and other expenses is down to you. As a teenager (I'm guessing) going to uni for the first time, I would thoroughly recommend the halls experience.

I've not finished the course yet, but tentatively want to work in musculoskeletal. I'm certainly not against working in the other areas though should I get a band 5 rotational job. Lord only knows what sort of state NHS jobs will be in next year though...

Thank you so much. I just needed to make sure i'll like it before i make a final decision on it and start looking at Unis. But, from the looks of it, i'm gonna absolutely love it!
    Getting Work Experience is impossible now! Where ever i go they're like "Sorry, we can't take you on because of how the NHS is like." It's frustrating but i can't do much about it, so i'm stuck working in a nursing home and the people there tell me when a physiotherapist is coming so i get to see for myself- it's awesome!
    I'm definitely taking it now, thanks again

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.