Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

will this help me lose weight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    warning: thread is not for the very critical as spelling mistakes, typos, and lack of grammer exists

Alrigght, i just started going gym this monday, and have been going every evening for 2 hours...tomorrow is my break off. in holidays im goign about 5-6 times a week. when i start school again and exams it will be 2-3

But at the gym,
    I burn 100 calories on bike
    100 calories on tredmil on 4mph, then i run on 6mph/8 to see how much i burn etc
    50-80 calories on the other type of bike, which kinda hurts your stomach
    cross trainer 15 minutes
    thats just a rough image of what i do, it's probably different, but i usualy burn about 300-400 calories
    i use that rower for stomach? lol

I do sweat
    i do TRY to push myself

Today i started to do 2kg weights, i did about 20-30 reps lol

my diet, i guess is still normal : ( but with a deficit of about 200 probably

but focusing on the gyming, what else could i do?

I do TRY to use HIIT when on bike and tredmil!

I feel so tired after gym lol, and feel liek passing out

and oh, i'm trying to lose 2 stones?

ReputationRep:
    clenbuterol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spank_My_Jesus)
    clenbuterol
    I dont wanan use that stuff lol..

ReputationRep:
    have a deficit of 500-750 calories....keep excercising:-D it will come off:-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    have a deficit of 500-750 calories....keep excercising:-D it will come off:-D
    okay!
    lol is it normal to feel dizzy after gym? maybe i over did it

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you keep hydrated and you eat before hand (but not too soon before hand). I often felt dizzy if i hadn't eaten much that morning:-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    Make sure you keep hydrated and you eat before hand (but not too soon before hand). I often felt dizzy if i hadn't eaten much that morning:-D
    lol, i was bad! i had bran flakes about 11am, and about 3 30 i had small portion of chips, and a banana

then i went gym at 6pm lol

so i guess i have a got a deficit SO far!

ReputationRep:
    eat better....stop the chips! an hour or so before exercise make sure u have some slow releasing carbs...e.g. brown bread or pasta or a potato etc.

Eating very little but fatty chips will leave u dizzy

ReputationRep:
    If you're serious about losing 2 stone, then you will have to sort your diet out. You can't exercise your arse off for 6 months, whilst eating a crap diet; As soon as you stop exercising, you'll put the weight back on because you're still eating the wrong things and/or too much of it.

ReputationRep:
    You already know this but chips aren't helping. When losing weight it's more about what you're eating than what you're doing at the gym, although excercise helps keep you fit obviously, a healthy balanced diet is what will make the biggest difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe12345)
    You already know this but chips aren't helping. When losing weight it's more about what you're eating than what you're doing at the gym, although excercise helps keep you fit obviously, a healthy balanced diet is what will make the biggest difference.
    oh i thought if i exercised and burned of calories from that, my diet could still be the same..
    lol
    and i guess i'll make a change ! no choice!

ReputationRep:
    well, you seen those cadbury bunnies?? they come in a tupac (rip), one of those alone is 100 calories.. so what you're doing doesn't sound great...

what are your statistics??

some advice though, if you want to lose weight, you need to be working at a high intensity, at high intensities, more carbs are burned.

if you're at a gym its simple, talk to an instructor and they will happily get you a routine to lose weight.

in terms of diet: eat healthily? cut out 99% of fizzy drinks, biscuits, crisps, chocolate and sweets etc..

after exercise you must ensure you do a cool down... you shouldn't ever go from working out to just a complete stop.. especially with my suggestion of working at a higher intensity..

dont wanna insult you, but you do 4 and 6 mph on a treadmill... that is walking pace lol :\

final advice, increase intensity of workouts each session, although dont go too fast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahm sayn?)
    well, you seen those cadbury bunnies?? they come in a tupac (rip), one of those alone is 100 calories.. so what you're doing doesn't sound great...

what are your statistics??

some advice though, if you want to lose weight, you need to be working at a high intensity, at high intensities, more carbs are burned.

if you're at a gym its simple, talk to an instructor and they will happily get you a routine to lose weight.

in terms of diet: eat healthily? cut out 99% of fizzy drinks, biscuits, crisps, chocolate and sweets etc..

after exercise you must ensure you do a cool down... you shouldn't ever go from working out to just a complete stop.. especially with my suggestion of working at a higher intensity..

dont wanna insult you, but you do 4 and 6 mph on a treadmill... that is walking pace lol :\

final advice, increase intensity of workouts each session, although dont go too fast
    lol but 4.8mph hurts i guess it will go up slowly slowly, i'm still new! i will on saturday, try and run at 8mph with my friend for a mile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpnowplease)
    lol but 4.8mph hurts i guess it will go up slowly slowly, i'm still new! i will on saturday, try and run at 8mph with my friend for a mile?
    srsly ask a gym instructor to sort you out a program!

dno how accurate this is but http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahm sayn?)
    srsly ask a gym instructor to sort you out a program!

dno how accurate this is but http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/
    4.8mph for 20 minutes burns 160 calories? which isnt that bad?

but anyways, tomorrow i'll try and run at 8mph for a mile, see how much i cna get done!

and, if 4mph is a walking pace, i am unfit as hell, becaus emy knees ache so bad. and my arms, and my stomach hurts

i can't ask a gym instrctor i havn't got time when exams kick in?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do a little extra, I go to the gym and go walking in the evenings after dinner, it helps you get fresh air and help you burn off a bit before u sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help much with the exercise, but as others have pointed out 4mph does not sound very fast - unless you are very very large (which I'm sure you aren't).
    However, if it is hurting you, maybe try warming up a little before running. You know, twist ankles, roll your knees, move your hips, do the arms... Make sure everything feels "oiled" before running on the treadmill ; ) Cross trainer is low impact so shouldn't hurt you. You could also do one hour of swimming - that ought not to leave your bones sore either!

As for diet:
    Foods you should avoid:
    The typical sweets, snacks, fatty chips etc - all of that you will have to practically give up on. Especially processed stuff (the stuff that comes in packets, as it will be full on empty calories and the bad sorts of fat).
    If you want to snack, try and get used to enjoying fruit as a snack. Perhaps bake an apple, and put some raisins / yoghurt / a VERY little bit of honey on top if you don't like fruit on its own. Berries also make a good snack - and I also discovered that frozen peas and frozen grapes are also very tasty...

You also want to avoid fizzy drinks - they are full of sugar and calories too. Try and stick to water. Have milk too, because you need calcium to keep strong. Calcium also makes your body absorb less fat. (Remember one gram of fat contains twice as many calories as a gram of carbohydrate).

Avoid white bread. Always get whole-grain food - that is, the brown bread, the natural brown pasta, the brown rice etc. Avoid making creamy sauces too - no cream! Try making alternatives with tomato (fresh! not ketchup).

Also, when cooking:
    - No deep frying
    - Try to avoid frying your food, but if you do, use non-stick pans so you use little to no oil at all. Cut fat off meat, but you can actually fry the meat in its own fat, you don't need to add any oil. When frying, don't use butter - try to stick to olive oil but don't use much. Olive oil can be very healthy (in adequate proportions) on salads, but its properties change a bit when you fry.
    - Your best bets for cooking are boiling, steaming and baking, because you don't have to add oil. Steaming is best for vegetables. Boiling also works, and if you keep the stock, it will give you lots of nutrients with not many calories.

Also, when buying food, pay attention to the labels. Not to the extent of becoming a calorie counter - but do check the proportion of carbohydrates (sugars), fat and protein. They say the "best diet" is something like 50% CH 20% fat 30% protein (maybe give or take a bit on the fat-protein percentage). However, make sure those fats are unsaturated, not saturated or trans (supermarket processed stuff will have more of those). Protein is the best source of nutrients you will find, but you also need your share of CH.

All in all, eat healthy and naturally - so basically, you are going to have to have lots of fruits and vegetables, a little bit of meat, a little bit of fish - and hardly anything at all in the way of sweet stuff. Try and train yourself to like fruit and vegetables if you aren't fond of them. It isn't easy at first - but after about a week you will get used to the taste and won't crave sweet processed stuff. It does work so believe in yourself Gosh, I sound like a food-sargent giving a pep talk - sorry for the essay! But I hope it helps at least a little bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpnowplease)
    4.8mph for 20 minutes burns 160 calories? which isnt that bad?

but anyways, tomorrow i'll try and run at 8mph for a mile, see how much i cna get done!

and, if 4mph is a walking pace, i am unfit as hell, becaus emy knees ache so bad. and my arms, and my stomach hurts

i can't ask a gym instrctor i havn't got time when exams kick in?
    dude, if you have time to sit on this site, you have time to talk to a gym instructor, it will literally take 10 minutes, if you have time to go the gym during exams, you have time to get a routine.. you're not going to magically get skinny or fit by walking 4mph for an hour even every day of the year.

like i said before those new cadbury's easter bunnies contain 200 calories in one pack, and it's like 2 mouthfuls... 160 calories is NOTHING. you need to work at a high intensity to burn calories, getting fit is a science.. it's not pot luck..

so like i've said. tell a gym instructor what you want to achieve, and how you want to do it, then he will go around the machines with you, and most likely give you a time to do each one for and at what intensity...

failing that, this is what i would do, BARE IN MIND i have no idea about your physique.. so that's not ideal when giving advice...

set your goal: e.g. lose 2 stone

select your machines: cross trainer, treadmill, bike etc.

incorporate some weights: barbell squats, body weight exercises such as push ups, pull ups, chin ups, sit ups etc..

in session one, note all your settings and lifts.. and then each session do more..

running machine = session 1 = 5mph for 20 minutes, session 2 = 7 mph for 15 minutes.. work out an incremental increase each time that you are capable of doing.. if you have to stop after say 12 of the 15 minutes, next session leave the settings teh same until you achieve it.. if you fail 3 sessions in a row to last, revert back to 4mph for example for 20minutes.. but honestly, running at 4-6mph for an hour is not helpful... HIGH INTENSITYYY IS KEYYYYYYYY TO BURNING FATTTT

as for squats and weights etc.. for all body weight exercises, do 3 sets of however many you can do, for squats/exercises you use equipment for, start on an empty bar e.g. 20kg, next session add 2.5kg, and add 2.5 every session, leave 48 hours between weight lifting sessions for muscles to rest,

i've said what to cut out previously and the post above me also seems good... diet is key.. just think when you're skinny, you can eat what you want and not worry about it.. obv. in moderation... so for now quit the sweets, snacks, chocolate, crisps and fizzy drinks, and alcohol! not saying stop living just you'll need a good diet to lose weight. there really is no comparison between a fresh watermelon and a packet of digestives... honestly its not hard to stop eating the ****.

if you want to give me more details, like you height, your weight, your goals etc.. can help you even write up a plan..

but you need to stop thinking 200 calories is alot.. im well over 6 foot, and during my weight training i was DRINKING over 1300 calories a day in milk.. and im not fat in the slightest.. you should be eating like 2500 cals a day, if you're a guy.. even when dieting imo, you'll also want to eat more.. the more intense your workouts get.. don't be afraid to eat the right calories.. just need to get the right gym setup and diet balance...

continuous training like you wanna do might not be the best, sure someone else already said try interval training.. for example you run at 4mph for 5 minutes, and then you run at 10mph for 2 minutes then back to 4mph for example.. same can be done on a bike machine etc... it'll mean you're getting a higher intensity workout but also it should be manageable since it's not continuously relentless...

so rike i said, what are your stats? maybe i missed them since i didn't read much..

also, you dont need to jump straight to 8mph if u find 4mph hard.. 4mph is a 15minute mile, like i said just add a little each session until u fail to last the distance, next time try again and just take some mph off if u fail 3 times....

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight is incredibly simple. Burn more calories than you consume, that is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poem boy)
    Losing weight is incredibly simple. Burn more calories than you consume, that is it.
    to lose 1lb body fat, you need a weekly calorie deficit of 3,500 kcals.. that isn't easy BUD.

i think the OP is a girl right only just realised... i would aim for 1800-2000 cals a day.. no less than 1500... combined with 5 gym sessions a week of 40-60mins, working at a decent heart rate, incorporating weights as well...

anyone who says losing weight it easy, is 99% of the time skinny and always has been..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.