Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Private schools should be banned? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should private schools be banned?
    Yes
    21.65%
    No
    73.83%
    Not Sure
    4.52%

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine comes from a relatively wealthy family and went to the same school as me up to last year. In September he left and enrolled in a private school. But I, and most people I know, would never be able to afford this.

I know many on this forum are indeed from private schools, so please try and be neutral.

Perhaps I'm too far on the left, but in my opinion noone should better opportunities simply because of parental wealth. All people should be born equal, and should find success with hard work and ability, not money.

Get a bursary.

ReputationRep:
    Sure it's not fair, but it's even more immoral to say 'no, you can't have that really good education because someone else can't, so you'll have to have this worse state education'. You have to get used to the idea that life isn't fair. It doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with what you've got, but there will never be equality.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. It's better to try and pull up the bottom than cripple the top for the sake of equality.

It's like having a village of 100 starving people. A minority have a sandwich. In this analogy, banning the private schools is like burning all the sandwiches. It doesn't benefit those who are worse off, and it makes those who are better off worse off. It's pointless.

(I did not go to a private school)

ReputationRep:
    If people want to do it you can't stop them. Try Communism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    I disagree. It's better to try and pull up the bottom than cripple the top for the sake of equality.

It's like having a village of 100 starving people. A minority have a sandwich. In this analogy, banning the private schools is like burning all the sandwiches. It doesn't benefit those who are worse off, and it makes those who are better off worse off. It's pointless.

They should share that sandwich...

ReputationRep:
    ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    My experience with private school students isn't great, I'm afraid. There are a few dozen people in this village who sent their kids off to private schools, and when they came back they weren't the same. Cockiness, arrogance, and the inability to do anything at all...

Meh, I know for a fact this isn't the general width and breadth of all private school students, but in my experience these people just completely disregard those who don't. We all use to be mates and then they came back, looked down on me completely yet asked me to help them fix their bikes, do stuff for them.

It just made me feel pissed off with them.

I don't suppose they should be banned, as they are valuable I suppose. But I just wish those of whom who went that I know didn't come back like the prats they are now, really. I know this isn't going to be every pupil, but from experience, they aren't beneficial for groups like our lot use to be in. :dontknow:

This is just my opinion.

Thought I'd get neg for this at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)

They must share the same fate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there was a thread like this a while back...

ReputationRep:
    There's no point in banning them. As long as people are willing to pay, they will exist. And in effect, the education of young children lies entirely in the hands of their parents, and if private schools were banned somehow, wealthy people would more than likely hire private tutors.

Besides, I know state school people with better grades than private school people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pirzer)
    They should share that sandwich...
    Lets say it contained dairy, and the rest of the village were allergic to dairy products.

(i.e. there's no way to effectively share the private schools.)

ReputationRep:
    Nope, they shouldn't. If his parents have worked for a 'better life' then they should get one. A person can succeed anywhere they go. There's nothing stopping you from getting the same, if not better, results.

ReputationRep:
    NO it shouldn't be banned... it's my business if I want to use my money to send my kids to private schools. It's my business if I choose to have my kids not mix with lower classed left leaning scums

Life ain't fair, you just get used to it and make the best of it.

ReputationRep:
    No point banning them. Some people can really benefit from private schools, such as people with learning disorders etc.

But at the same time it does seem a bit unfair that education is considered a 'right' in this country, yet some people can buy their children a better education.

Personally I think the solution is to improve state education, but whether to do this by improving comprehensives or by reintroducing the grammar school system, I don't know. (Perhaps both?)

EDIT: Oh, and also there are some private schools which actually perform worse than the state schools in their area. So yeah, if you want to pay money to send your children to a low-performing school then I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to.

ReputationRep:
    Not this thread again... are you even aware of the search function, OP?

(Original post by Adman32)
    All people should be born equal.
    They are. Now quit your whining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    I'm sure there was a thread like this a while back...
    And a while back before then etc....
    I didn't go to private school but I definitely don't think you should get rid of them, if people want to pay then should that be their choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adman32)
    A friend of mine comes from a relatively wealthy family and went to the same school as me up to last year. In September he left and enrolled in a private school. But I, and most people I know, would never be able to afford this.

I know many on this forum are indeed from private schools, so please try and be neutral.

Perhaps I'm too far on the left, but in my opinion noone should better opportunities simply because of parental wealth. All people should be born equal, and should find success with hard work and ability, not money.
    Unfortunatley if I were a parent and I knew I didn't have huge reserves of money - I'd rather not have a car and send the kids to privet school. Or work two jobs.

ReputationRep:
    At the least private schools should not receive tax breaks in the form of having charity status. But a broader policy to reduce income inequality might be more effective. European countries tend to have far lower rates of private education, as well as lower income inequality. Just a suggestion. But it might be wise to treat private schools as a symptom of a larger problem, rather than the problem the problem itself.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.