Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Private schools should be banned? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should private schools be banned?
    Yes
    21.65%
    No
    73.83%
    Not Sure
    4.52%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Why does going to a private school automatically make them a toff, a douche or arrogant?
    someone is bitter at their upbringing. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    I'm sorry to butt in here and I will try to make this sound as in-offencive as possible.

But I also do not believe in such a medical conditioin as dyslexia.

And funnily enough - the % of dyslexic children and adults in western soceity is MUCH HIGHER than in the east eg uk versus russia.

Let me tell you why - because when they see that a child is struggling at school with any of the literary tasks that you would class under dyslexia, they take them aside and make sure that special attentioin and care is given to help them catch up to everyone else.

Do you know why this is possible? Because 'dyslexia' is not an actual condition, it's just that the childs brain is working MUCH faster that the motor control - hence you're thinking faster thatn you can act. All it need is practice, practice and more practice.

When I was younger, and I can still remember this, I had exactly the same problem as you mentione. Along with not being able to read or write until quite a late age. In the uk I would have been classed as severely dyslexic. In russia I was given an extra set of lessons and now I'm absolutley fine, you'd not be able to tell at all.

Dyslexia is the condition resulting from the dire situation english education is in.
    I do see what you're saying, but my dyslexia wasn't found until I was 15...no one found I was struggling, no one was quick to label me or anything. It just so happened that my doctor asked me to write something down and I couldn't do it so he asked me what the problem was. When I told him he suggested I get tested for dyslexia, and it was found that I had it at a 'moderate' level. No one had said to me "oh she can't write properly, must be another dyslexic" In fact, a lot of my teachers are suprised when I tell them I'm dyslexic because apart from messy handwriting and the occasional misspelling, you can't tell at all.

I do agree that you need to be careful before giving people labels, and sometimes people are too quick to give them out, but I do believe that it is a genuine condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudeydan)
    Yet it was possible for my mother to pay me through private school despite at the time earning around £15k a year? Ok I had a scholarship which took a third off the fees, but any applicant who is really deserved of a top education would gain of these. That still only left around £8k to live off for that year. I don't think people understand what it is to sacrifice for future gain
    Fair play to you and your mum, but, in general, the majority of privately educated children do not find themselves in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    I'm sorry to butt in here and I will try to make this sound as in-offencive as possible.

But I also do not believe in such a medical conditioin as dyslexia.

And funnily enough - the % of dyslexic children and adults in western soceity is MUCH HIGHER than in the east eg uk versus russia.

Let me tell you why - because when they see that a child is struggling at school with any of the literary tasks that you would class under dyslexia, they take them aside and make sure that special attentioin and care is given to help them catch up to everyone else.

Do you know why this is possible? Because 'dyslexia' is not an actual condition, it's just that the childs brain is working MUCH faster that the motor control - hence you're thinking faster thatn you can act. All it need is practice, practice and more practice.

When I was younger, and I can still remember this, I had exactly the same problem as you mentioned. Along with not being able to read or write until quite a late age. In the uk I would have been classed as severely dyslexic. In russia I was given an extra set of lessons and now I'm absolutley fine, you'd not be able to tell at all.

Dyslexia is the condition resulting from the dire situation english education is in.
    I totally agree. I can't believe some people here are suggesting that dyslexia is an actual condition. It is not.

A lot of people just use it as an excuse, just because they are performing poorly or for other reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    someone is bitter at their upbringing. :rolleyes:
    In what way am I bitter?

Your post just sounded bigoted and ignorant, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    In what way am I bitter?

Your post just sounded bigoted and ignorant, that's all.
    nah, i just have a long standing grudge against private school people. I'm not bigoted, and not ignorant cos i've met loads of private school people. It's you privates that are the bigoted ones.

ReputationRep:
    nah, i just have a long standing grudge against private school people. I'm not bigoted, and not ignorant cos i've met loads of private school people. It's you privates that are the bigoted ones.
    I've also met loads of private school people and they're not generally toffs, arrogant or douches.

ReputationRep:
    The guys from Eton that did an exchange programme with students from my state school were some of the most mild-tempered, well-spoken and generally absolutely nothing bad that you could say about them. You can't get much more private than Eton, and these ones weren't at all bigoted.

I think it's really quite bigoted to say "it's you privates that are the bigoted ones".

What prevents them from getting great A Levels?
    Or from getting into a top university?
    Education is not solely about getting good grades and going to a top university. Education is about one's overall character.

A parent could EASILY save thousands of pounds by sending their children to state school and hiring tutors if education was all about getting great A-levels and going to a top university.

There's a reason why people choose to send their children to private school - and it's not about solely the grades/university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    The guys from Eton that did an exchange programme with students from my state school were some of the most mild-tempered, well-spoken and generally absolutely nothing bad that you could say about them. You can't get much more private than Eton, and these ones weren't at all bigoted.

I think it's really quite bigoted to say "it's you privates that are the bigoted ones".
    and it's not at all bigoted when that private school girl said me a state schooler is bigoted? Double standard stfu and gtfo!

ReputationRep:
    and it's not at all bigoted when that private school girl said me a state schooler is bigoted? Double standard stfu and gtfo!
    I'm not saying anything at all about what other people are saying.. it's possible for you both to have said bigoted things. I just found that line :lol:worthy you know :P it's like saying you shouldn't write in red! or spending half your life talking to people about sex, and how our society is too focused on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Education is not solely about getting good grades and going to a top university. Education is about one's overall character.

A parent could EASILY save thousands of pounds by sending their children to state school and hiring tutors if education was all about getting great A-levels and going to a top university.

There's a reason why people choose to send their children to private school - and it's not about solely the grades/university.
    What other benefits would you suggest?

(Original post by win5ton)
    What other benefits would you suggest?
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    What prevents them from getting great A Levels?
    Or from getting into a top university?
    Well it's a lot harder than it is for the middle class children - why is that fair? Where is this meritocratic system?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?
    What are the none academic benefits of attending a private school?

What are the none academic benefits of attending a private school?
    Well I'm not entirely knowledgeable on these matters, but I presume (generally speaking):

*Less mixing in of the "wrong" crowd
    *Greater extra-curricular opportunities
    *Better social environment
    *Greater sense of respect from pupils

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not entirely knowledgeable on these matters, but I presume (generally speaking):

*Less mixing in of the "wrong" crowd
    *Greater extra-curricular opportunities
    *Better social environment
    *Greater sense of respect from pupils
    1. By "wrong crowd" do you mean poor people?

2. From my own experience their is very little difference between a grammar school and a private school and what they offer in terms of extra-curriculars.

3. Do you mean the social environment is better because there are no poor kids?

4. Your last statement is so vague that I can only assume you are referring to bullying. Bullying can take place in any school and there is no evidence to suggest that private schools have less bullying than state schools.

2. From my own experience their is very little difference between a grammar school and a private school and what they offer in terms of extra-curriculars.

3. Do you mean the social environment is better because there are no poor kids?

4. Your last statement is so vague that I can only assume you are referring to bullying. Bullying can take place in any school and there is no evidence to suggest that private schools have less bullying than state schools.
    1. No.

2. You're distorting the argument. What about state comprehensives?

3. Incorrect.

4. No, that is not what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    1. No.

2. You're distorting the argument. What about state comprehensives?

3. Incorrect.

4. No, that is not what I meant.

1. Explain yourself.

2. I wasn't.

3. Explain.

4. Then what did you mean?

2. Do you mean the social environment is better because there are no poor kids?
    Oh dear god, poor people :sigh:

You do know that poor people go Private as well, right?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.