Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Private schools should be banned? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should private schools be banned?
    Yes
    21.65%
    No
    73.83%
    Not Sure
    4.52%

(Original post by the don)
    Yea, but doesn't that already happen?, people who won't be able to handle the difficulty of a degree attempt to get an apprenticeship.
    No. There are courses at university level suitable for people with the equivalent of CCD (!).

ReputationRep:
    Here's my opinion, yes they should be banned. The idea though, of an entrance exam is not a bad one, if it means the students who are ambitious and want to do well can do it, without all the idiots in the class who just want to muck about. I went to one of the lowest performing schools in my area and then I got a bursary to a private school. There are a lot of things that are fundementally wrong with private schools, the main one being the snobbery and the idea that they are a cut above the rest. They also don't guarantee good exam results, but they are expected so it's a lot of pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say ban the schools. I'd suggest that while students attend these schools - teach them the value of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the don)
    Yea, but doesn't that already happen?, people who won't be able to handle the difficulty of a degree attempt to get an apprenticeship.
    First time I was at uni I studied law. Never turned up to lectures, never bothered with tutorials and did very little study. I was averaging 80% before I was , ahem, "asked to leave". The drop out rate was very low, around 2%.

When doing my apprenticeship, I was working in a Michelin starred restaurant from 7am to 1 am 5 days a week. If any of my work wasn't perfect, I had to redo it until it was. If during service I made a mistake I was pulled up on it immediately, believe me, I never made that mistake again. During this period, this place went through about 3 chefs per week who just couldn't handle it. When I left I worked out the drop out rate to be around 90%. The average length of employment was 2 months.

If you think an apprenticeship is the easier option, you're gravely mistaken. It isn't as simple as "smart people go to university, if you aren't smart you do an apprenticeship". For starters there are very few apprenticeships. Because of the introduction of the minimum wage employers can't afford to train people any more. It's cheaper to use trained immigrants.

It isn't a question of one route for smart people and one route for thick people, it should be about creating opportunities so that all our young people can make the most of their talents. To simply divide the country into two camps fails everyone.

(Original post by im so academic)
    No. There are courses at university level suitable for people with the equivalent of CCD (!).
    This. This is why we now have league tables for universities. They have only been in existence for 20 years, the exact same length of time since pretty much any institution could become a university if it wanted. Do you think this is a coincidence?

I know this is an old TSR chestnut that becomes very tiresome, but a degree isn't a degree, all universities are not equal, do we really believe that a course requiring AAA is to the same standard as one asking for CCD?

There is no greater personal tragedy than wasted potential. Why on earth would you let yourself be manipulated into thinking, doing a degree in a subject you are at best mediocre at is a good idea? This money should be directed into different avenues not just higher education.

(Original post by AJ Smiley)
    Here's my opinion, yes they should be banned. The idea though, of an entrance exam is not a bad one, if it means the students who are ambitious and want to do well can do it, without all the idiots in the class who just want to muck about. I went to one of the lowest performing schools in my area and then I got a bursary to a private school. There are a lot of things that are fundementally wrong with private schools, the main one being the snobbery and the idea that they are a cut above the rest. They also don't guarantee good exam results, but they are expected so it's a lot of pressure.
    The fundamental reason, that very few people have touched on, why private schools shouldn't be banned is this. It is EXTREMELY dangerous for the state to have sole control of the education of a nation's youth.

Also, what you touch on is the difference in aspirations apparent at the two schools. In one success is expected, in the other it is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjeezy)
    Uh, free market bro. More competition = higher quality services, lower prices. Maybe America's rise to world dominance isn't enough evidence or historical precedent for you?
    1) That's like a christian trying to prove the existence of god by citing the bible. It isn't evidence, nor is it historical precedent.
    2) America has free universal education (up to high school, anyhow)
    3) America is a corporatist state

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butane)
    What a load of left wing *******s being spouted in here. Just because your parents prioritized annual holidays abroad/cigarettes/other expensive luxuries over a private education for you doesn't mean that you have the right to stop other parents from focusing on their children's education.
    Can everyone stop trying to pretend those who send their children to private schools are of normal wealth? Ok, in a few cases parents may live a simple life to afford sending their children to private schools.

In the vast majority of cases however, those who go to private schools do not need to put aside holidays to be able to afford it. They send their children to private schools because they have lots of money lying about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ Smiley)
    You say they should be banned, Therefore you are telling parents how they should spend their money, what right do u have to say that !! Furthermore by banning Private Schools, you wont be making the education system better, u would be making it more "equal" because every child would be worse off. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Just read an article in the Sunday Times, saying that the first private school in the UK is charging more than £30,000 per year. Winchester College at £31,150 per year. That is some serious coinage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toon Fan)
    Rather doing something ridiculous like banning Private Schools, why dont you discuss a realistic target. Making State Schools better so those kids can compete with Privately Educated kids. Why the hell should the best Universities take on State School kids if they are getting lower grades than their Privately Educated peers ???????
    wow, someone talking sense

ReputationRep:
    this is being approached from the wrong angle. by paying taxes, we are all purchasing a service from the government - education free at the point of accsess. some can afford a better service - private education. to ask if it is right for one child to recieve a better education because of their parents wealth is to ask if it is right for one child to recieve higher quality food at dinner time because of their parents wealth.

it is no bsiness of the state - it's their job to provide a service, not to dictate what service we must all use. it would be like banning taxis because some can only afford to travel by bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adman32)
    Can everyone stop trying to pretend those who send their children to private schools are of normal wealth? Ok, in a few cases parents may live a simple life to afford sending their children to private schools.

In the vast majority of cases however, those who go to private schools do not need to put aside holidays to be able to afford it. They send their children to private schools because they have lots of money lying about.
    My god! :eek:

You must be the singularly most contrived individual on TSR if you feel you can make a point THAT sweeping without any evidence nor any premise for your claim.

People don't have money 'lying about', the majority of people in Private schools are Middle class, simply because, there is simply not enough 'upper class' individuals to even fill the current 17% quota of Private schools. Your point is utterly invalid sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    My god! :eek:

You must be the singularly most contrived individual on TSR if you feel you can make a point THAT sweeping without any evidence nor any premise for your claim.

People don't have money 'lying about', the majority of people in Private schools are Middle class, simply because, there is simply not enough 'upper class' individuals to even fill the current 17% quota of Private schools. Your point is utterly invalid sir.

Regardless of weather those attending are middle class or upper class, they have more money. Simple as. You can't deny that the vast majority of those who attend private schools are a lot better off then those who don't.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of weather those attending are middle class or upper class, they have more money. Simple as. You can't deny that the vast majority of those who attend private schools are a lot better off then those who don't.
    Yeah, that is more likely, but that does not equate to having 'lots of money lying around' does it now? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Yeah, that is more likely, but that does not equate to having 'lots of money lying around' does it now? :rolleyes:
    In many cases I'm sure it does. Sure, no ones gonna give away £12,000 or however it is for nothing, but they can easaily afford it.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has made me realise the impossibility of breaking the vested interests in country. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Why does this subject cause such a commotion?
    If you can afford it, do it.
    End of.

ReputationRep:
    In many cases I'm sure it does. Sure, no ones gonna give away £12,000 or however it is for nothing, but they can easaily afford it.
    No, you are confusing causation and effect.

Just because they are better off does not mean they have money 'to spare'. In the majority of cases I would wager they would have to sacrifice another part of their lifestyle in order to sustain private school. Hell, I am on a scholarship, and if I hadn't gone to Private school, the cumulative money saved would probably buy a great deal of things.

'And in many cases' =/= the majority of privately schooled people. If you aren't going to provide statistics that atleast pertain to the average income of a private schooled pupils parents, please stop banging on this drum.

ReputationRep:
    ... regardless of how much money we have (personally, that's not much, thanks, and I had a necessary weekend job at 17) we also know how to spell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 098)
    This thread has made me realise the impossibility of breaking the vested interests in country. Sigh.
    You haven't answered my post? I thought you enjoyed debate.

:sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cometgirl)
    Why does this subject cause such a commotion?
    If you can afford it, do it.
    End of.
    Because private schools might take the best resources from other students- such as the best teachers. Then again, if they cost less to run, then education would cost less for the tax payer.

Unless the other schools in the area are terrible- then private education seems like a waste of money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.