Turn on thread page Beta

Private schools should be banned? watch

• View Poll Results: Should private schools be banned?
    Yes
    21.65%
    No
    73.83%
    Not Sure
    4.52%

ReputationRep:
    OK here are my thoughts

I went to a private school on a 100% bursary and I'm very glad I got the opportunity to do so. If you want to work hard at such a place, you are encouraged. There were 12 others on the bursary scheme in my year and we have all got decent grades and the majority (excluding me) are at Oxbridge and Imperial - bear in mind the raison d'etre of a modern private school is to get kids into a decent uni so we're counted as successes.

However...

I'll be honest and say that while the 'top set' were pushed hard, encouraged to think for ourselves but NEVER spoonfed there was a substantial majority in the school that regarded school as an inconvenience, goofed around, and only got grades by virtue of the teachers locking them in the classroom until 8pm where they were made to work. Many of them - whose parents were spending up to £30,000 a year on fees - had no concept of the idea of work and only managed a CCC by the skin of their teeth. It was my experience that all the effort the teachers put in and all the fantastic academic and sporting and musical opportunities went to waste apart from the people who appreciated being there a lot and the people who worked hard.

Private schools are charities in that none of the money can be used for profit and so it all has to go back into school infrastructure. I think that certain aspects of private school teaching should be incorporated into the state sector and that more bursaries and scholarships should be available - because there IS, unfortunately, such a thing as a private school elite, which, if you've ever had the misfortune of being stuck in a room with, are actually interminable. I made some great friends there, and this is NOT to disparage all private school students - many people I know worked hard but A LOT did not.

As for the existence of private schools, if you abolish them people will find a way. A lot of the kids there are now Russian or Chinese anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adman32)
    We live in a world where money gets you everywhere, so a rich person and a poor person do not have the same oppurtunities because everything requires money and so are not equal.
    Ever heard of scholarships? I can only afford private school because I won one. That shows how determination to succeed is the most important thing. Had I ended up attending the bad comprehensive in my area, I would have self taught all my GCSEs and future A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I think clever people should get less time in exams as the genes which their parents provided them with, give an unfair advantage;now of only I could type irony marks.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine comes from a relatively wealthy family and went to the same school as me up to last year. In September he left and enrolled in a private school. But I, and most people I know, would never be able to afford this.

I know many on this forum are indeed from private schools, so please try and be neutral.

Perhaps I'm too far on the left, but in my opinion noone should better opportunities simply because of parental wealth. All people should be born equal, and should find success with hard work and ability, not money.
    People are born equal, but it is not possible to enforce equality into every aspect of life- it simply doesn't work.

Think of the logistics when you close the private schools. Parents of private school children contribute financially to state schools but pay extra for their children to attend private schools - you close them and you have the same money but a lot of extra children to educate. Let me guess the solution- tax the rich some more. But god forbid anyone be allowed to choose how to spend their own money. Why must people try and control everyone- banning private schools would be so oppressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    I disagree. It's better to try and pull up the bottom than cripple the top for the sake of equality.

It's like having a village of 100 starving people. A minority have a sandwich. In this analogy, banning the private schools is like burning all the sandwiches. It doesn't benefit those who are worse off, and it makes those who are better off worse off. It's pointless.

(I did not go to a private school)
    That is a ridculous analgory as you are effectively equating state education to zero, to nothing. State education is effective, it has produced thousands of pupils many who reside on this baord who are going/at/been at universities learning a host of subjects and going on to lead brilliant carrers.
    Why must everyone have a downer on state education? I personally believe it is unfair on rich kids for them to be sent to schools where they fail to learn social cohesion and mixi with people of all abilities and backgrounds. That is the true sin.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine comes from a relatively wealthy family and went to the same school as me up to last year. In September he left and enrolled in a private school. But I, and most people I know, would never be able to afford this.

I know many on this forum are indeed from private schools, so please try and be neutral.

Perhaps I'm too far on the left, but in my opinion noone should better opportunities simply because of parental wealth. All people should be born equal, and should find success with hard work and ability, not money.
    I prefer to live in a liberal society where people's freedoms are not taken away from them because they find themselves in a favourable position.

Improve state education, make it as good as private education. A lot of grammars are better than Harrow, Eton and CLC. Colchester Royal is a state school and has been the best school in the country for 5 out of the last 8 years including this year. Make state schools better don't remove private schools, take what they do well and put it in the state sector. I bet you a lot of parents would rather not pay for the same quality of education and would chose a state school over a private if both were of the same quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshymarsh)
    That is a ridculous analgory as you are effectively equating state education to zero, to nothing. State education is effective, it has produced thousands of pupils many who reside on this baord who are going/at/been at universities learning a host of subjects and going on to lead brilliant carrers.
    Why must everyone have a downer on state education? I personally believe it is unfair on rich kids for them to be sent to schools where they fail to learn social cohesion and mixi with people of all abilities and backgrounds. That is the true sin.
    Hey, sorry I wasn't meaning it like that. I was educated in state education. I was fortunate enough to be in a great school.

We had an exchange programme with Eton - the Eton kids told us that if they were from our area and could get into our school then there would be absolutely no point them going to Eton.

ReputationRep:
    think no on the whole. At the moment the state sector is simply not good enough everywhere in the country to take away people's choice to send their children to private. But yes, I do think it should be govt policy to actively encourage people to send their children to the state not private sector and to gradually phase them out. But it is crucial first to drastically improve the state sector (yes, I'm not sure exactly how, I'm not that clever! but somehow ) - I have had a great experience, but not everyone does. If kids/spending from privates went into the state sector it would definitely help. Idealistically though, education should not be a commodity to be bought or sold but a right. Everyone should have free and the same education - differences in education is one of the greatest contributing factors to a lack of social mobility. I have nothing against people who are private schooled (I'm friends with a fair few and they're lovely) but privates do help people significantly - imo people should get the grades they get because of the work they put in/how clever they are, not how rich their parents are. Same views on private healthcare, more or less.

ReputationRep:

What, do you want the government to provide all these extra tens of thousands of school places with its massive budget deficit?!?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Besides, I know state school people with better grades than private school people.
    Only someone from a private school would say something like that

(Original post by Lintu93)
    No point banning them. Some people can really benefit from private schools, such as people with learning disorders etc.

But at the same time it does seem a bit unfair that education is considered a 'right' in this country, yet some people can buy their children a better education.

Personally I think the solution is to improve state education, but whether to do this by improving comprehensives or by reintroducing the grammar school system, I don't know. (Perhaps both?)

EDIT: Oh, and also there are some private schools which actually perform worse than the state schools in their area. So yeah, if you want to pay money to send your children to a low-performing school then I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to.
    You have the right to education, but where does it say you have the right to the best quality education there is?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is fair that money is the only way that a child can get a decent education.
    But if people are willing to pay then no one should stop them.
    Hell, if I have kids when I'm older and am financially able to, I will without a doubt send them off to private school from my **** experience with state schools.
    But there should be more opportunities for a child to achieve a decent education without having to rely on a parent's income.

(Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    I understand what you are saying, but the truth is that the world is not equal. I am a great believer in the maxim 'You get out of life what you put in'. But if you were born wealthy and/or well connected, you would be mad not to use it Indeed, some would argue that those who can afford to, should send their children private. Thereby taking the pressure off the state system.

It should surely be the job of the government and society to encourage state schools to constantly improve and bring themselves up to the level of the best public schools. Not the other way round
    Yet the current Government is being called "elitist" for doing that thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Hey, sorry I wasn't meaning it like that. I was educated in state education. I was fortunate enough to be in a great school.

We had an exchange programme with Eton - the Eton kids told us that if they were from our area and could get into our school then there would be absolutely no point them going to Eton.
    Fortunate enough to be in a great school? You make everyone other school sound like the worse place to be, they really are not. I am sounding rude to you here, but I am just venting in general at teh scores of people who put a downer on state education, it is not worse education, it is merely different education. Parents don't send their kids to private schools for knowledge or to develope subject love and find something they can flourish with. They send them to enhance life opportunities; what perecentage of privately educated people are brick layers, factory workers, shop assistants? It is the fear the parents have of their children falling into these 'jobs' which fuels the private school industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateMP)
    I find it hilarious that my state school does better in every exam than the private school down the road.
    And the pupils at that school probably find it hilarious that you equate success to empirical exam results. One of the absolute strengths of the education system in the country is that "education" refers to much more than a bunch of grades. In most parts of Asia, that is exactly what education means - and yet look at the number of Asian students that come to university here.

Different public schools have different goals, and attract different types of pupils. Some are highly academic, some are very athletic. Some are for nervous or shy children, others for those with an excess of energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Yet the current Government is being called "elitist" for doing that thing.
    I doubt many would disagree with the motives, though many would disagree with the means

(Original post by princessnavi22)
    As a teacher, I don't think education should be bought.. I think that it should be equal for all, and the government should invest more money in to education and making sure children have the best possible education they can, my school is in a very deprived area and very poorly resourced.. it's quite sad, I've been to private schools and they want for nothing - sadly, that's just how it goes and I doubt it will ever change.
    :facepalm2: OK, let's start:

1. "Education should not be bought" - tough. Even if we were to ban private schools, richer parents have access to private tuition, resources for their children, learning materials, better opportunities (that require money) etc.

2. "Government should invest more money into education" - oh please. Pumping more more will not do anything. Especially considering schools do waste an awful lot of money. Remember, grammar schools are some of the best schools in the country and they have less spending per pupil than state comprehensives. On the contrary, some state comprehensives have higher spending per pupil than some top private schools. Explain that.

3. "Make sure children have the best possible education they can" - that doesn't mean the children will use it. You should know, badly behaved delinquents with no respect for anyone or anything, let alone for education.

4. "Very deprived area" - so? That doesn't mean they cannot succeed. It's about the attitude of the pupils and the discipline of the school.

5. "Very poorly resourced" - come on now! You're telling me a school is better because it has a fancy electronic board as opposed to a chalkboard? All you need are books, pens, a teacher, a basic board, discipline and eagerness to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateMP)
    I find it hilarious that my state school does better in every exam than the private school down the road.
    The people at that private school are probably quite thick and couldn't get into an academic one (where on average results are much higher than state schools, especially non-grammar ones) and so are probs doing better there than they would at your school even if that's not very impressive, or you go to a really good state school, I know there are a few!!

ReputationRep:
    Great idea op!
    Infact, since we are wealthier than Africa we should probably shut down our eduction system, because after all its abit unfair us using our wealth to give us an advantage.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Oh so Richard Branson got no where? Alan Sugar? seriously that is BS, life is what one makes of it, if one wishes to be a bum and not become a success that is their prerogative just like it is someone else's to grab all the opportunities available to them and become a success.
    I can't stand it when people are discussing inequality and advantages in life then proceed to bring up Alan Sugar and Richard Branson as if those two people destroy the idea that inequalities exist.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.