Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Private schools should be banned? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should private schools be banned?
    Yes
    21.65%
    No
    73.83%
    Not Sure
    4.52%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    I can't stand it when people are discussing inequality and advantages in life then proceed to bring up Alan Sugar and Richard Branson as if those two people destroy the idea that inequalities exist.
    I think he was making the point that despite the inequalities in the education system people with enough determination and hard work can still become successful.

(Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis)
    I think he was making the point that despite the inequalities in the education system people with enough determination and hard work can still become successful.
    Yes this is correct.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the disparity in quality, I find it extremely sad that some (not all....) children attending the most prestigious private schools will never have to meet anyone outside of their own narrow social stratum.

ReputationRep:
    What it boils down to here on TSR is those with their heads screwed on realise the vital role that private schools play, whilst the poor few who will amount to nothing in life hate them because they're jealous fools.

It's pathetic.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis)
    Maybe, but he could have been a bit more imaginative than coming out with the two most commonly associated stereotypes of 'success from humble beginnings'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adman32)
    All people should be born equal
    Even in a perfect communist state, this is impossible. Unfortunately, humans will always be different at births and some will be talented in more fields than others, some will be better-looking than others, some will be more intelligent than others. If you come up with a system where we are all born equal, I'm fully on board; however, there are two main components to what defines who we are and how successful we are: genetics and environment. And wealth is just one of the small factors which make up our environment.

Abolishing private schools will not solve inequality, it won't even solve inequality in environment, it won't even solve equality in wealth. Yes it's unfair but unfortunately so is life

should find success with hard work and ability, not money.
    I absolutely agree with this. I believe in a meritocratic society where people should have equal opportunities. But equality itself is unlikely to ever be achieved unless we are all clones of each other put in exactly the same environment and conditions.

ReputationRep:
    I go to private school, and it really isn't anything special, unless of course it happens to be Westminster, in which case you're pretty much nailed on for Oxbridge, and will most likely do very well.
    That said, one thing that is great is the small class sizes.

Why abolish it? How selfish are you OP? I mean what you are basically saying is: You have this, I want it, I can't have it, so neither should you. Selfish, and naive.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine comes from a relatively wealthy family and went to the same school as me up to last year. In September he left and enrolled in a private school. But I, and most people I know, would never be able to afford this.

I know many on this forum are indeed from private schools, so please try and be neutral.

Perhaps I'm too far on the left, but in my opinion noone should better opportunities simply because of parental wealth. All people should be born equal, and should find success with hard work and ability, not money.
    I am assuming that you see the pure hypocrisy in this tat that you have written.
    You have the audacity to ask others to be "neutral" , whilst moaning about the fact that you cannot afford said education before churning out some tired old dialogue about how its not fair and everything should be equal ......

grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshymarsh)
    Fortunate enough to be in a great school? You make everyone other school sound like the worse place to be, they really are not. I am sounding rude to you here, but I am just venting in general at teh scores of people who put a downer on state education, it is not worse education, it is merely different education. Parents don't send their kids to private schools for knowledge or to develope subject love and find something they can flourish with. They send them to enhance life opportunities; what perecentage of privately educated people are brick layers, factory workers, shop assistants? It is the fear the parents have of their children falling into these 'jobs' which fuels the private school industry.
    I know a lot of people might think of state education to be awful, and you're right to be pissed off about that, but I'm not the one you should be complaining to. I do not think that state education is awful.

Look, private education will averagely be better than state education. That's obvious. If you aren't fortunate enough to get into a good state school, some people will pay to overcome that. That's all there is to it. There are some poor state schools. I'm not saying that they are all poor, or even that the majority are, or anything near that. You acknowledge that in saying that private education is to "enhance life opportunities". So that they can be more than a shop assistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 098)
    Aside from the disparity in quality, I find it extremely sad that some (not all....) children attending the most prestigious private schools will never have to meet anyone outside of their own narrow social stratum.
    You really do not have a clue do you.
    The best you can offer is some pathetic diatribe that circulates with all too regular frequency.

ReputationRep:
    Parents should be free to send their children to whatever school they want. Who are we to dictate otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    money is the only way that a child can get a decent education.
    Is it? Do you realise that there are perfectly respectable state schools out there? There are other free options for a "decent education" as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    You really do not have a clue do you.
    The best you can offer is some pathetic diatribe that circulates with all too regular frequency.
    And yet I can't quite discern a specific counter argument within your post- maybe that's just my comprehensive education letting me down again...

ReputationRep:
    Getting rid of private schools wouldn't close any gap between the rich and the poor. Purely because more wealthy parents would make sure that their child was getting the best tutor etc etc and in the end eventually a similar system would be set up.

As unfair as it is, life is full of inequality and the education system is merely one branch on a tree.

Private schools are unfair in terms of that ultimately a child is more likely to get better results due to better teaching etc, but getting rid of them isn't going to solve anything. Surely improving the state school system is a more benefiting way to help more disadvantaged but bright students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    I am assuming that you see the pure hypocrisy in this tat that you have written.
    You have the audacity to ask others to be "neutral" , whilst moaning about the fact that you cannot afford said education before churning out some tired old dialogue about how its not fair and everything should be equal ......

grow up.
    What I am saying is true, a lot of people on TSR are privately educated. Its unarguable, like it or not. What I don't like is the way it gives some people a head start in life and leaves others with equal potential lagging behind.

Is private education not fair? If you want to call me a Communist then fine, but doing that is just an excuse for a lack arguments.

(Original post by tateco)
    Maybe, but he could have been a bit more imaginative than coming out with the two most commonly associated stereotypes of 'success from humble beginnings'
    Oh so sorry.

Roman Abramovich, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs and Micky Jagtiani good enough examples for you? :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A friend of mine comes from a relatively wealthy family and went to the same school as me up to last year. In September he left and enrolled in a private school. But I, and most people I know, would never be able to afford this.

I know many on this forum are indeed from private schools, so please try and be neutral.

Perhaps I'm too far on the left, but in my opinion noone should better opportunities simply because of parental wealth. All people should be born equal, and should find success with hard work and ability, not money.
    How about we offer a decent state school experience and let those who have money do whatever the hell they want with it. Be it send their kids to private school or burn it and snort the ash.

ReputationRep:
    Private schools stifle social mobility. They exist because parents want their children to have an advantage in the first place. Then these schools coach them to succeed in interviews at the expense of others (but not to be better overall...).
    Also, if we abolish private schools, the state sector will improve. Britain has one of the most divided education systems in the developed world and the problems with the state sector are partly the result of the division- and therefore concentrated deprivation- in the first place. If private schools were abolished, there would be more wealthy children with better attitudes to learning in state schools and this would benefit the poorer children there.
    Society would also be better integrated- how is it useful to bring children up surrounded by only one social class?? What can David Cameron, George Osbourne, Nick Clegg and all the others claim to know about ordinary people when they can have met so few of them in their formative years?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Oh so sorry.

Roman Abramovich, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs and Micky Jagtiani good enough examples for you? :rolleyes:
    Much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteM/)
    Private schools stifle social mobility. They exist because parents want their children to have an advantage in the first place. Then these schools coach them to succeed in interviews at the expense of others (but not to be better overall...).
    Also, if we abolish private schools, the state sector will improve. Britain has one of the most divided education systems in the developed world and the problems with the state sector are partly the result of the division- and therefore concentrated deprivation- in the first place. If private schools were abolished, there would be more wealthy children with better attitudes to learning in state schools and this would benefit the poorer children there.
    Society would also be better integrated- how is it useful to bring children up surrounded by only one social class?? What can David Cameron, George Osbourne, Nick Clegg and all the others claim to know about ordinary people when they can have met so few of them in their formative years?
    I've reached my ratings limit but- yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.