Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Private schools should be banned? watch

• View Poll Results: Should private schools be banned?
    Yes
    21.65%
    No
    73.83%
    Not Sure
    4.52%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adman32)
    What I am saying is true, a lot of people on TSR are privately educated. Its unarguable, like it or not.
    You appear to have a serious problem with basic comprehension.
    I am very well aware of the fact that many people went to private schools; I, myself went through prep and indeed was a boarder .... I never disputed the fact.
    I called you a hypocrite because you bleated about people being neutral before starting on some peculiar rant and being anything but neutral....

What I don't like is the way it gives some people a head start in life and leaves others with equal potential lagging behind.
    yawn .....

Is private education not fair? If you want to call me a Communist then fine, but doing that is just an excuse for a lack arguments.
    I am not quite sure where I called you a communist; I can think of other descriptions for your good-self that would appear more appropriate.

I am still unsure as to why you felt the need to start a thread on something that you seemingly have such a closed mind about in the first place ... it just seems a little puerile?

ReputationRep:
    my solution if you have a private tutor or attend a private school your parents should have to pay a massive tax bill so that public schools get the same spending per head as private schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteM/)
    how is it useful to bring children up surrounded by only one social class??
    I wish this were possible but even if you chuck poor and rich kids in the same school, they are still different social classes not "one social class"...

ReputationRep:
    I do want to agree with the statement, but don't we all know what would happen if they were banned? The pupils at Eton/Westminster who have aristocratic families would be pulled out of the comprehensive system altogether and be privately educated at home (with tutors and governesses). I'm an intelligent person (if I may say so myself!), and go to a local comprehensive. The pupils in my classes (even top set classes) who just bum around and affect my learning are enormous; it's almost as if they've given up on life altogether, which is really sad. But I don't think banning private schools would improve this situation. I know (through a friend, who knows someone.... blah blah blah), a man who went to a comprehensive school and made it work for himself, got into Oxford and now lives in Belgravia. Ironically, he sends his two daughters to Cheltenham Ladies', because of the atrocious state of our state education system!

On the other hand, I am an advocate for a rapid improvement in our 'broken' state school system (Google 'Katharine Birbalsingh telegraph blog'), and think that if the disadvantaged, unintelligent were given an education similar to an 'Eton education', they would thrive and get more out of life. Unfortunately, due to social stereotypes, many families from working class backgrounds would refuse to send their kids to private schools. I think that if we crack down on bad behavior, a culture of 'nothing outside of the syllabus', and 'exams are the only things that matter', there wouldn't be much difference between the two very different educational systems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    Is it? Do you realise that there are perfectly respectable state schools out there? There are other free options for a "decent education" as well...
    Really? Well, I never knew that! You really do learn something new everyday don't you. Thanks.

It obviously depends on your catchment area, as well as the school.
    If you're from a deprived area, you've got no hope in hell of receiving a good state school education. And it also turns out that oh, because you're from a deprived area you most probably would not be able to afford private education.

But ironically enough, it just so happens that the better, wealthier areas tend to have the better state schools...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteM/)
    Private schools stifle social mobility. They exist because parents want their children to have an advantage in the first place. Then these schools coach them to succeed in interviews at the expense of others (but not to be better overall...).
    Also, if we abolish private schools, the state sector will improve. Britain has one of the most divided education systems in the developed world and the problems with the state sector are partly the result of the division- and therefore concentrated deprivation- in the first place. If private schools were abolished, there would be more wealthy children with better attitudes to learning in state schools and this would benefit the poorer children there.
    Society would also be better integrated- how is it useful to bring children up surrounded by only one social class?? What can David Cameron, George Osbourne, Nick Clegg and all the others claim to know about ordinary people when they can have met so few of them in their formative years?
    Maybe so, but integrating schools still wouldn't necessarily closen the gap any more, I mean more affluent students are more likely to be better well-connected than other students, which hence can gain access to good work experience etc. and into a better university. Affluent parents can afford to get their children to the best tutors etc which can lead to better grades.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine comes from a relatively wealthy family and went to the same school as me up to last year. In September he left and enrolled in a private school. But I, and most people I know, would never be able to afford this.

I know many on this forum are indeed from private schools, so please try and be neutral.

Perhaps I'm too far on the left, but in my opinion noone should better opportunities simply because of parental wealth. All people should be born equal, and should find success with hard work and ability, not money.
    If I want to pay for my children to go to a better school I bloody well will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    my solution if you have a private tutor or attend a private school your parents should have to pay a massive tax bill so that public schools get the same spending per head as private schools
    Surely you mean a "state school", not a "public school"...

This, in effect, would have the same consequence as abolishing private schools. Your tax would make it stupid for anybody to go to a private school (because of the "same spending per head") so nobody will go to a private school.

It has already been made clear what the effects of abolishing private schools would be and therefore your solution would not work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 098)
    And yet I can't quite discern a specific counter argument within your post- maybe that's just my comprehensive education letting me down again...
    A counter argument? what, to the stupidly naive "points" that you made?
    You really have no idea what cross-section of society anyone in a private school may or may not have associated with. You make this ignorant assumption that you can generalise about all people who attend private schools. The honest reality is that you have never in your life set foot in such an institution and probably never will ... you have absolutely no basis to make your childish remarks on.
    You need to get that huge chip off your shoulder, it really is weighing you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    Really? Well, I never knew that! You really do learn something new everyday don't you. Thanks.
    Your sarcasm only proved how idiotic what you said was.

(Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    If you're from a deprived area, you've got no hope in hell of receiving a good state school education.
    I travel one hour each way to get to school every day because my local area has no decent schools. I take the bus to get to a good school. So even if I'm from a deprived area, I can still get to a good sixth form.

I also have the option of getting a scholarship in a private school.

There we are, you can mock all you want but I've just proven that it's not always about the money.

- - - - -

Although what you said was technically wrong, I agree that there should be a minimum standard of education which allows you to succeed. Therefore, I would encourage better funding for schools - something I think we both agree on!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why private schools should be banned. Sure...they may show that they're wealthier and arrogant...but that doesn't mean that it's an excuse to sad that it should be banned.

Yeah...it is unequal because they could make better connections with other "wealthy" people when they grow up and have a better network than others...but that could be possible in a state school system as well.

In addition, some people who can't afford private schools also go there (due to bursaries and scholarships). Does that mean that they are arrogant as well because they're seen as the "elite"? That's not true at all. They probably are picked on a lot just because they aren't "rich" like the other students.

In conclusion, I don't see a reason behind the banning of private schools. Students who come out of it may be arrogant...but it doesn't mean that all of them who went to private schools end up like those arrogant kids.

(Original post by tateco)
    Much better
    :lol: you're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    A counter argument? what, to the stupidly naive "points" that you made?
    You really have no idea what cross-section of society anyone in a private school may or may not have associated with. You make this ignorant assumption that you can generalise about all people who attend private schools. The honest reality is that you have never in your life set foot in such an institution and probably never will ... you have absolutely no basis to make your childish remarks on.
    You need to get that huge chip off your shoulder, it really is weighing you down.
    Go back and read my original post. I made it clear that I was not generalising about all people who attend private schools, but referring to my personal experience of those which I have met and talked to.

No, you're right- I won't ever set foot in such an institution... got to uni fine without having done so, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the biggest fan of the private school system as I don't think a decent education should be restricted to those born with a silver spoon in their mouths. However I don't think there would be much benefit to state schools if private schools were to be banned as the companies running them are, well, private. I definitely agree that the disparity in education needs to be dealt with in some way though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    You appear to have a serious problem with basic comprehension.
    I am very well aware of the fact that many people went to private schools; I, myself went through prep and indeed was a boarder .... I never disputed the fact.
    I called you a hypocrite because you bleated about people being neutral before starting on some peculiar rant and being anything but neutral....

yawn .....

I am not quite sure where I called you a communist; I can think of other descriptions for your good-self that would appear more appropriate.

I am still unsure as to why you felt the need to start a thread on something that you seemingly have such a closed mind about in the first place ... it just seems a little puerile?
    People should try to understand how those who cannot afford private education may view it.

And why shouldn't I start a thread? It's ignited a debate and people have differing views about it. Puerile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    Surely you mean a "state school", not a "public school"...

This, in effect, would have the same consequence as abolishing private schools. Your tax would make it stupid for anybody to go to a private school (because of the "same spending per head") so nobody will go to a private school.

It has already been made clear what the effects of abolishing private schools would be and therefore your solution would not work.
    yes i meant state school and okay scrap my idea and just abolish private schools then as it puts everyone on a level playing field (well as level as the government can make it)

ReputationRep:
    I went to private school, feels like years ago now. But anyway, When i was at my private school, my dad worked days and nights to make sure he could afford the fees, for me and my younger brother (at that time he was in preparatory school). The experience was good, i left, and i don't think i changed drastically. Well no one complained about me changing :P But i remember loads of parents, trying very hard to make sure they could afford to keep their kids in the private school.

And i don't think they should be banned. Some private schools are very good. Most students leaving them leave with great grades, not all, but most do. Also, if you don't want to pay for such a place, just go to a Grammar school. The ones in my town are the best in our county, and the old private school was one of the best i think as well? Not a lot of difference :/

ReputationRep:
    FYI, in Durham, the best school grade wise is a state school; Durham Johnstons

ReputationRep:
    . Puerile?
    very.

ReputationRep:
    puts everyone on a level playing field
    That would be impossible given that we are all born unequal (due to environmental and genetic diversity)

well as level as the government can make it
    The most equal would be communism. Even if we had a perfect communist state, as a consequence every human would be defined only by their genetics and not environment.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.