Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Private schools should be banned? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should private schools be banned?
    Yes
    21.65%
    No
    73.83%
    Not Sure
    4.52%

ReputationRep:
    Okay, say we abolish private schools... lots of state school children have a better chance and a fairer representation of people end up in the best jobs, great. What do people with good jobs want? Better chances for their children... I know we'll pay someone to educate them!

Just doesn't work, let what ever happens happens. At some point someone had to work hard to give their future generations a better chance. May seem unfair, but don't moan to society, moan to your ancestors for not working harder at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Yes, I think it should be. Private schooling advantages the children of the richest proportion of society at the expense of everyone else. Unfortunately while income inequality exists, children of richer parents will get better opportunities than poorer children, but having it ingrained in our education system and condoned by the government is despicable. If children can't even start on a level playing field, how are we ever suppose to break down the rigid class boundaries?
    Wow, so level everyone down. Brilliant idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Your two statements contradict. The kid is finding success through the parents hard work which results in money and affording a better education.
    Here is a better solution : Get the retarded government to sort out its finances and reform the education system so it as good as private schools.
    This

ReputationRep:
    I'd sooner 'ban' state schools. I don't particularly believe the government should be the main provider of education, never mind have a monopoly on it.

ReputationRep:
    OK, say the government have a budget of £3000 to educate each school pupil for a year.

Do private schools get this £3000 per pupil per year or is all their funding from the pupils parents pockets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Unfortunatley if I were a parent and I knew I didn't have huge reserves of money - I'd rather not have a car and send the kids to privet school. Or work two jobs.
    Agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humble_bumble)
    I sometimes do regret going though, the amount of money my parents had to spend on me. That money could have been used for my university fees instead. :sigh:
    Haha...but without a good primary education...you can't even get into university.

ReputationRep:
    c'est la vie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adman32)
    The main form of education is undeniably in the classroom however, and because education is a neccesity to all people's lives , a small group shouldn't be able to buy better forms of it.
    Well it really rather depends on what type of education you are talking about, doesn't it?
    I would argue that the ability to read and write are a fairly important aspect of ones education .... both skills that I learnt outside of the classroom. Some would say that emotional intelligence is of great importance, much of which you do not learn in the classroom.
    It would appear that you have the misguided notion that learning "facts" in the classroom is the only education of importance.

The fact that it is a "necessity" does not mean that it has to be the same for everybody, nor does it or should it mean that one cannot choose the right education "package" for their own children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occlusal)
    OK, say the government have a budget of £3000 to educate each school pupil for a year.

Do private schools get this £3000 per pupil per year or is all their funding from the pupils parents pockets?
    It costs £30,000+ to send your child to Eton.

Independant schools arnt financed by the government

ReputationRep:
    who said private schools are better than public schools? Yeah in some cases it can be but it's more dependant on if the child is smart or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    Well it really rather depends on what type of education you are talking about, doesn't it?
    I would argue that the ability to read and write are a fairly important aspect of ones education .... both skills that I learnt outside of the classroom. Some would say that emotional intelligence is of great importance, much of which you do not learn in the classroom.
    It would appear that you have the misguided notion that learning "facts" in the classroom is the only education of importance.

The fact that it is a "necessity" does not mean that it has to be the same for everybody, nor does it or should it mean that one cannot choose the right education "package" for their own children.
    If education is 'mainly out of the classroom' why did your parents bother spending all that money on a private school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGC773)
    My friend has rich parents, they bought him a porche 911 for his birthday this year. I DEMAND THAT THIS IS BANNED. I cant believe he has a better car than me
    That car does not determine the kind of people he meets in early childhood; that car does not determine his life path from then on. Education is different.

ReputationRep:
    If grammar schools were brought back, a large number of private schools would cease to exist.

There's an argument that this creates a two tier system, but a two tier system based on merit is much better than a two tier system based on the size of your parent's bank balance.

I attend a grammar in NI and there is no way in hell I would have been able to afford to attend a private school.

Private schools are a symptom of a problem with state schools, not a cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :facepalm2: OK, let's start:

1. "Education should not be bought" - tough. Even if we were to ban private schools, richer parents have access to private tuition, resources for their children, learning materials, better opportunities (that require money) etc.

2. "Government should invest more money into education" - oh please. Pumping more more will not do anything. Especially considering schools do waste an awful lot of money. Remember, grammar schools are some of the best schools in the country and they have less spending per pupil than state comprehensives. On the contrary, some state comprehensives have higher spending per pupil than some top private schools. Explain that.

3. "Make sure children have the best possible education they can" - that doesn't mean the children will use it. You should know, badly behaved delinquents with no respect for anyone or anything, let alone for education.

4. "Very deprived area" - so? That doesn't mean they cannot succeed. It's about the attitude of the pupils and the discipline of the school.

5. "Very poorly resourced" - come on now! You're telling me a school is better because it has a fancy electronic board as opposed to a chalkboard? All you need are books, pens, a teacher, a basic board, discipline and eagerness to learn.
    Teaching isn't all about discipline and producing robots. You clearly have no clue about teaching and inspiring students - how are you going to captivate a 4 year olds attention with a book and a pen when they can't even hold a pencil properly?! Let alone have the phonetic knowledge to blend and segment words to begin thinking about words.

I'm not saying they cannot succeed because they are in a deprived area, but when most children don't have any experience outside of school apart from going to mosque after school then going to bed and then going back to school the next day in an endless cycle, they have very little life experiences to write about and help with their learning - it is up to the school to provide this, with no money and little resources it is very difficult. With some parents who don't even feed their children at home (and trust me I have had children who the only meal they receive is at school!) and they are so hungry the only thing they think about all day is food instead of learning, then tell me that it doesn't matter that the school is in a deprived area. When some parents don't even speak a basic level of english, so they can't help their child to read or write - yes.. it's a breeze for these children succeeding.

Come to my school and do what I do for a day, a constant uphill struggle - you tell me then that it's okay that not enough money is spent on these children to give them the best education possible, they're eager to learn but there are so many barriers that some times it's just too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :facepalm2: OK, let's start:

1. "Education should not be bought" - tough. Even if we were to ban private schools, richer parents have access to private tuition, resources for their children, learning materials, better opportunities (that require money) etc.

2. "Government should invest more money into education" - oh please. Pumping more more will not do anything. Especially considering schools do waste an awful lot of money. Remember, grammar schools are some of the best schools in the country and they have less spending per pupil than state comprehensives. On the contrary, some state comprehensives have higher spending per pupil than some top private schools. Explain that.

3. "Make sure children have the best possible education they can" - that doesn't mean the children will use it. You should know, badly behaved delinquents with no respect for anyone or anything, let alone for education.

4. "Very deprived area" - so? That doesn't mean they cannot succeed. It's about the attitude of the pupils and the discipline of the school.

5. "Very poorly resourced" - come on now! You're telling me a school is better because it has a fancy electronic board as opposed to a chalkboard? All you need are books, pens, a teacher, a basic board, discipline and eagerness to learn.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13081777

Here we go, tell me these findings are fine and it's okay for some children to be living like this!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 098)
    If education is 'mainly out of the classroom' why did your parents bother spending all that money on a private school?
    oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

Are you really so incapable that you have to invent quotes that I never made ....

just where did I claim that ""education is 'mainly out of the classroom' ""

I happen to think that education is not solely confined to the classroom ....

It really does appear that your "education" does not seem to have worked very well..

As for why my parents sent me to a private school, well that one is easy to answer .... because they could, and by golly am I glad that they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Easy solution:
    -Force the exam boards to make the exams as difficult as they used to be.
    -Only have teachers who have been to a good uni and they can only teach what their degree was in or related to.
    -Get these teachers by offering good starting pay.
    -Have the salary go up to that of a lecturers within a few years (£45K+)
    -Reduce the amount of paperwork teachers have to do.
    -Abolish all targets.
    = a really really cushy job...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGC773)
    It costs £30,000+ to send your child to Eton.

Independant schools arnt financed by the government
    You cant compare Eton (one of, if not the best private school in the world) to an average state school. No state school costs the government anywhere near £30,000 per pupil per year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    = a really really cushy job...
    Well it would have to be to entice people of a high intelligence to do something simple and to deal with pissy little teenagers and the annoying volume of work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.