Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm twenty years old, sitting in my mum's house.

My mum's got her friend round, who's absolutely plastered to the point she can hardly walk. She's still drinking - I think she's had four or five bottles in as many days - and my mum's had a bit too. My mum's not drunk though, but they're splitting two or three bottles between them.

Now I know my mum's entitled to have a social life, and have fun.

But I don't like this. I remember very many times as child occasions where both my parents couldnt be there - my mum was very ill, mentally and physically, and spent a lot of time unconcious and fitting when I was very small. My dad was at work all day every day - and often left me to cope with things, I remember once he phoned the dr for my mum who was fitting, then walked out the door and left me with my mum and baby sister - I was 3 - and I remember answering the door to the GP and things.

I don't like it when I feel that things arent in control as it reminds me of those days, depsite the fact it finished when I hit about ten or eleven, and my mum doesn't take fits so much in the house.

It makes me feel that I have to take control, and I get a horrible feeling in my stomach. I'm struggling enough as it is, with things, and I don't know what to do. I feel like a horrible daughter for not being able to relax and have fun, mum's friend tried to ply me with a glass of wine but I'm not allowed it due to anti depressent medication.

Someone tell me they have felt this way before?

I don

ReputationRep:
    you are aware that me and the jerking off person are two different people :P just to make sure :P (anon poster 1 and 2)...

thanks for your message though x

ReputationRep:
    and oops, anon fail...

ReputationRep:
    i think you are just paranoid, let yourself go and have a couple to drink, but just keep your wits about you, make sure everything is in control.

The flashbacks must be horrible, and im sure so many people have experienced this. But don't let it get you down. Its in the past, just focus on the future and your glass being half full, not half empty! Take care x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you turned out to be a lot worse than first thought - said friend was on the cusp of topping herself, and has admitted that had mum not dragged her round, she'd not have been here tommorow.. so its maybe a good thing. She's sleeping it off on the couch tonight so thats good x

ReputationRep:
    lol at the guy pretending to be op

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.