Turn on thread page Beta

sunglasses - yay or nay watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about getting a pair of Oakley sunglasses since they're know for being good quality.

I'm a bit useless when it comes to style and stuff, so do you people think these look ok? (I have a squareish face btw)

http://uk.oakley.com/women/products/6603/24688

Or should I go for Raybans and hope I don't break them? Or something competely different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiona344)
    I'm thinking about getting a pair of Oakley sunglasses since they're know for being good quality.

I'm a bit useless when it comes to style and stuff, so do you people think these look ok? (I have a squareish face btw)

Or should I go for Raybans and hope I don't break them? Or something competely different?
    In that colour?

ReputationRep:
    Yah, get them! They would suit any shape face tbh! You just need the self confidence to wear them!

ReputationRep:
    they're nice but it does depend if they look nice on your face, I have a squareish face and I doubt I'd look nice with that shape of sunglasses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    In that colour?
    Green? No

I was thinking either Tortoiseshell or black

ReputationRep:
    Green? No

I was thinking either Tortoiseshell or black
    Yeah the black is cool.

ReputationRep:

yay to the glasses themselves, nay to the colour way. The black ones or the whiteish grey ones look a lot smarter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    yay to the glasses themselves, nay to the colour way. The black ones or the whiteish grey ones look a lot smarter.
    Yeah I wouldn't get them in green. I like the idea of white, but I think they might look a bit like cheap plastic. I think I'll go for black and see how they look on.

ReputationRep:

very nice - I think they'd suit your face OK, and the colour is well lush!!

ReputationRep:
    yay

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wouldn't get them in green. I like the idea of white, but I think they might look a bit like cheap plastic. I think I'll go for black and see how they look on.
    the black ones look smart, and they'll go with pretty much any outfit without looking out of place I think.

ReputationRep:
    I like 'em, I'm actually quite fond of the green ones! The white ones are quite snazzy too though. Had I not already spent silly money on a pair of Ray Bans i'd quite like some Oakleys :sad:

ReputationRep:
    £90 for sunglasses? o.O Big nay.

ReputationRep:
    They're nice, but £90? I have a pair of sunglasses I bought for a fiver from H&M three years ago that are still wearable.

ReputationRep:
    yes, but definately black (think the white ones are my fav i really disliked those Tortoiseshell or the coloured but see through ones thought it made them look cheap, which they are definately not :|)

oakley sunglasses are amazing! few years ago my mum started getting real bad headaches from the sun and they cured them she does get panda eyes though heehee!!
    x

and to those making fuss about price...
    cheap sunglasses are ace, i have millions of pairs of primark/newlook/ H&M sunglasses but you can honestly tell the difference in quality if you get headaches or have that horrid thing when the sun makes you sneeze (it does this to me ) decent sunglasses really do help!
    aslong as you look after them they last ages too, my mums had her oakleys 5 or 6 years now and there hardly scratched at all (which is a miricle with my mum!!)

x

ReputationRep:
    you should go for Rayban Club Master, Original Wayfarer 2140 or Aviator

those glasses are quite normal and simple but always classic !!!!

I have Aviator and Orginal Wayfarer and I love them , not only the style but also the quality of lense

FYI Wayfarer is pretty heavy cos of the glassed lense so you should go try it before you buy =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly_16)
    you should go for Rayban Club Master, Original Wayfarer 2140 or Aviator

those glasses are quite normal and simple but always classic !!!!

I have Aviator and Orginal Wayfarer and I love them , not only the style but also the quality of lense

FYI Wayfarer is pretty heavy cos of the glassed lense so you should go try it before you buy =)
    I wear Rayban Wayfarer 2113's. I also have a pair fitted with clear prescription lenses. Love them.

I have the 50 frames as the 54's are massive!

The 2132's are a little smaller and streamlined.

Can't comment on the 2140's as the poster above, but they are all excellent quality, if you like that style

ReputationRep:
    personally I don't really like oakleys, they're ok for skiing but abit 'square' i don't mean shape... By all means go for what you like/feel comfortable in but you can never really go wrong with these, had mine for agessssssss still love 'em

ReputationRep:

How often are you going to wear them?

I'm just asking because I got a pair of Raybans a year or two ago and I haven't really worn them much (well not in the Uk) - mostly due to the fact that there are not many days were you really need to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. If you are just going to wear them as an accessory just get a cheaper lookalike.

Fine if you live in a country where it is sunny and bright all the time where your eyes can suffer damage from the sun and good quality sunglasses are needed. Really they are just a waste of money if you live in the Uk. Better to get a £20 pair and spend that £80 + saved from buying a cheaper pain on something a little more worth while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    How often are you going to wear them?

I'm just asking because I got a pair of Raybans a year or two ago and I haven't really worn them much (well not in the Uk) - mostly due to the fact that there are not many days were you really need to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. If you are just going to wear them as an accessory just get a cheaper lookalike.

Fine if you live in a country where it is sunny and bright all the time where your eyes can suffer damage from the sun and good quality sunglasses are needed. Really they are just a waste of money if you live in the Uk. Better to get a £20 pair and spend that £80 + saved from buying a cheaper pain on something a little more worth while.
    I'm going to Canada for a year, so I'd like to think I'll get lots of use out of them The sun's brighter there, so there is more need for good quality lenses, which is why I want Oakleys.

(Original post by TeenageDream)
    £90 for sunglasses? o.O Big nay.
    (Original post by dothestrand)
    They're nice, but £90? I have a pair of sunglasses I bought for a fiver from H&M three years ago that are still wearable.

This get's into that favourite TSR debate over quality. Yes I could go to Primark or wherever and get a cheaper pair. That's fine if you just want to stick them on top of your head as a fashion accessory over here, where you don't ever really need sunglasses for their original purpose.

There's a reason some brands cost more than others. Some of it's for design, but another major cost driver is for better materials. One of the ways to keep prices cheap is to scimp on materials, those cheap sunglasses may have dark lenses but if they don't filter out the UVA/UVB light then wearing them can actually damage your eyes more than wearing none at all. Not a major issue in cloudy Britain, but it can be in a country which actually experiences sunny conditions!

Your sunglasses probably haven't been crushed or dropped often, so I'd expect them to be fine after 3 years. The fact you think 3 years is long enough to prove a point, to me suggests the opposite.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.