Turn on thread page Beta

NHS job offer - health check? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a job in a lab in a hospital but before my employment can begin they need to check my references and I need to complete a health check. It was implied the health check is just a questionnaire which will be sent in the post. My references were contacted a week after receiving the offer, I haven't yet received my health check paperwork.

Has anybody else experienced this procedure when beginning employment in the NHS? How long did it take for you to receive the documents and what happened after that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandapanda)
    I have been offered a job in a lab in a hospital but before my employment can begin they need to check my references and I need to complete a health check. It was implied the health check is just a questionnaire which will be sent in the post. My references were contacted a week after receiving the offer, I haven't yet received my health check paperwork.

Has anybody else experienced this procedure when beginning employment in the NHS? How long did it take for you to receive the documents and what happened after that?
    How long it takes can vary. It will depend on the admin staff and their work load. But it is a requirement for you to work so do worry it will come.

what happens after depends very much on if you have any health problem. If you dont then the form will be filed and then reviewed at a later date. Some trust will ask for an occy health assessment but most dont with a clean health form.
    If you do have a health concern you may need to meet up with occy health to discuss the ways in which it could effect your work. However dont worry about this, it is just procedure and they are not trying to take your job away (although it can feel like that sometimes) they are just making sure they know all that is needed in case you require extra support.

Just tell the truth and dont worry.
    Well done on getting the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon2010)
    How long it takes can vary. It will depend on the admin staff and their work load. But it is a requirement for you to work so do worry it will come.

what happens after depends very much on if you have any health problem. If you dont then the form will be filed and then reviewed at a later date. Some trust will ask for an occy health assessment but most dont with a clean health form.
    If you do have a health concern you may need to meet up with occy health to discuss the ways in which it could effect your work. However dont worry about this, it is just procedure and they are not trying to take your job away (although it can feel like that sometimes) they are just making sure they know all that is needed in case you require extra support.

Just tell the truth and dont worry.
    Well done on getting the job
    Thanks for the info!

ReputationRep:
    As Anon says, it's nothing major. I had to go into occupational health since I was a touch overly honest in my health form (never again will I mention childhood ailments!), but all they wanted was some blood, a simple eye test and blood pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    As Anon says, it's nothing major. I had to go into occupational health since I was a touch overly honest in my health form (never again will I mention childhood ailments!), but all they wanted was some blood, a simple eye test and blood pressure.
    So after you sent back your forms did you hear from them quickly? I just wondered how long it will take to be contacted about a start date for the job, how long was it for you?

ReputationRep:
    So after you sent back your forms did you hear from them quickly? I just wondered how long it will take to be contacted about a start date for the job, how long was it for you?
    Personally my start date was set at the application stage. I got a phone call fairly soon after sending off the health form saying I needed to go up for the meeting before I started the job, but for most people a visit to occ. health isn't necessary. On the phone they wanted me to come in the next day, but I was living on the other side of the country so I put it off 2 weeks for cheaper trains. It's all done fairly fast, so it shouldn't delay you starting your job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Personally my start date was set at the application stage. I got a phone call fairly soon after sending off the health form saying I needed to go up for the meeting before I started the job, but for most people a visit to occ. health isn't necessary. On the phone they wanted me to come in the next day, but I was living on the other side of the country so I put it off 2 weeks for cheaper trains. It's all done fairly fast, so it shouldn't delay you starting your job.
    Ok cool thank you

ReputationRep:
    It was almost 6 months for me from job offer to start date. But that's because I had to wait for my A level grades so they may not have been rushing it.

Phone them if you're that worried!

ReputationRep:

Hello. I got my health questionnaire through in a couple of weeks - I had to kee badgering HR to remind them as the department was useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    Hello. I got my health questionnaire through in a couple of weeks - I had to kee badgering HR to remind them as the department was useless.

I think I'll give them a ring today too - it's been 3 weeks now *sigh* getting bored of waiting :P

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.