Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

occupational therapy 2011 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    has anyone applied for london south bank uni for 2011, if so heard anything from them or attended any interviews yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Danielle, I received a conditional offer for LSBU, for 2011. Had my interview quite a while ago and heard from them about 2 months ago. Received an offer from Brunel too. Have you had an interview yet?
    Paula

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya Paula,

i actually applies late, so probably wont here for a while yet, i didnt apply to Brunel as its quite difficult for me to get to. How was your interview any do's or dont's or general advice? Glad you got in to your choices

Danielle x

ReputationRep:
    finally heard from Glasgow Cali today and got an unconditional for OT, so i got too OT unconditional offers now, the other one is for Queen Margaret in Edinburgh, feel like the luckiest girl in the world right now! just gotta make my decision where 2 go!!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi Katielee,

I have offers for QMU and GCU as well and am deciding between the two now! Do you know which one you're going to go for? Did you get an interview for caley?

ReputationRep:
    Interview at LSBU was ok, totally different to Brunel, which was a one to one interview. LSBU was set out in 7 sections, 5 scenarios, each with 2 chaps in asking questions, then two written.
    Ive been trying to find out how the course is laid out. I know how Brunel carry out the course, but I cant find any information on LSBU, ie how many days a week you go to uni, or how many weeks the course is over. At Brunel, the course is 4 days a week for the first term, then it changes to 2 1/2 days a week with self study, which would suit as I have children, I have to make my decision by the 5th May, I have rung the Uni and they say they do not know how many days a week it is and that I have to speak to a specific person who has the details, which I find quite strange, that only one person knows how the course is set out!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilykate_)
    Hi Katielee,

I have offers for QMU and GCU as well and am deciding between the two now! Do you know which one you're going to go for? Did you get an interview for caley?
    Hi guys, I actually studied OT in QMU and saw your post so thought you might like some feedback on it QMU has quite a lot of free 'study' time in comparison to Cali, and is a little bit more academic based. However, now that I've graduated and am working, out of the students I have had, the QMU ones seem to have a little bit of a better grounding. The benefit of Cali really is that it's right in the city centre, whereas QMU is in Musselburgh (7 minutes on the train from Edinburgh), but it can feel like the middle of nowhere at times! If you want to ask me any specific questions about the course or anything feel free

megan xx

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what we do for funding? My school isn't very informative. I know we get it NHS funded, which we don't have to apply for, it's automatic. But then I get an NHS bursary. How do I get this? I've looked on their website and they say about getting a letter from them that has my unique student reference number on and tells me what to do on the website? But I put Liverpool as my firm on the 1st March, and haven't heard from them? Also, do I go through Student Finance still? I've heard I can still get a maintenance loan? Really have no idea what to do funding-wise, and really want to get it out the way for doing revision

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emily-Kate,

apologies, not online very often and just noticed ur reply there!
    I didn't get interviewed for Caley, just an unconditional! Had an interview at QMU tho.
    Just decided today, I know I pushed it to the last minute, to go to Queen Margaret Uni, and I'm hoping to get a room in halls of residents for the first year at least xx

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything about doing the MSc in OT at The University of Cumbria in Carlisle? I have a place there in Sept. I have a place at QMU as well but i cannot afford the fees,.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meg4)
    Hi guys, I actually studied OT in QMU and saw your post so thought you might like some feedback on it QMU has quite a lot of free 'study' time in comparison to Cali, and is a little bit more academic based. However, now that I've graduated and am working, out of the students I have had, the QMU ones seem to have a little bit of a better grounding. The benefit of Cali really is that it's right in the city centre, whereas QMU is in Musselburgh (7 minutes on the train from Edinburgh), but it can feel like the middle of nowhere at times! If you want to ask me any specific questions about the course or anything feel free

megan xx
    Hi Megan, thanks for your reply - it's good to hear from someone who has actually went through the course. When you say the course is a little more academic, do you mean it is less hands on than cali? Was there anything that you disliked about the course when you were studying?

Emily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katielee21)
    Hi Emily-Kate,

apologies, not online very often and just noticed ur reply there!
    I didn't get interviewed for Caley, just an unconditional! Had an interview at QMU tho.
    Just decided today, I know I pushed it to the last minute, to go to Queen Margaret Uni, and I'm hoping to get a room in halls of residents for the first year at least xx
    That's alright! I just got an unconditional at caley too, bit strange. Think I might go with QMU too though. I'll be applying for a halls room too so I might see you there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilykate_)
    Hi Megan, thanks for your reply - it's good to hear from someone who has actually went through the course. When you say the course is a little more academic, do you mean it is less hands on than cali? Was there anything that you disliked about the course when you were studying?

Emily
    Hi Emily, I would say the course in QMU has quite a theoretical foundation; but that means you can focus on the practical stuff on placement. I don't know how hands on Cali is in university, but I do know that the QMU students have a much higher standard than the Cali ones I've had. The one thing I disliked about the course when I was studying was 1) the amount of "self-directed study", so not too many lectures but loads to try motivate yourself to read. And 2) groupwork where you're put in groups rather than getting to choose your own.

In saying that, there has recently been a review of the course content where they asked current and past students for feedback on these things, so it is possible that the course is quite different for you!

I wish you all the best, and if you ever need a qualified OT to run things by, just let me know

Megan

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I got my offer yesterday for Occupational Therapy at Queen Margaret University for Occupational Therapy. I also got an unconditional from Cale. From what I was told by people in the profession and at the career advice centre it is better the Glasgow Caledonian University due to its placements. QMU also has a good rep + it is hard to get into. Also who could ignore the benefits of living in Edinburgh rated one of the top cities to live in in Britan. From an outsiders point of view Edinburgh is more multi cultural. Anyhoo good luck with yer decisions.
    Sarah, Im unsure about the public transport but what I do know is that I don't drive and they said that was fine. Also its a choice if you wish to drive + you will need business insurance as far as I know. There is a practice education handbook that you can google for and it will come up with information. It says it in there but when I was a support worker, business insurance was only needed if you were taking clients in the car + I dont imagine we will be. I suggest that you check with them.
    Megan youre very good to come on + share your knowledge, would it be ok to ask you any ot questions too?
    Louise.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Does anybody know if QMU offer bursaries or loans or are there any trusts or bursaries for QMU ot pre reg pgdip ?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.